Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whats the deal on the R 850R

Whats the deal on the R 850R

I'm picking one up a little later today and as part of the process to decide if I would buy one I looked around in the forum for any type of issue specific to that bike. Are they that rare, problem free or are most reluctant to claim ownership of a little R 850R?

Anyway any tips on what I should look for with this would be nice.

The 850 has, as far as I know, the same problems as the 1100. They are basically the same bikes with the 850 being built for European law requirements based on engine size.

They cost almost the same to produce and not very many were sold in the US. The lower HP output at a not much cheaper cost was the determining factor is US sales.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Sounds familiar

Much like the R 50S as compared to the R 69S. Less "S" for almost the same $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by 69ZEFF65 View Post
    Much like the R 50S as compared to the R 69S. Less "S" for almost the same $$$.
    well, except for the variance in their collectibility factors. The R850 is never likely to become a sought after collectible.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

You have a point but???

I'm a glutton for punishment and I just couldn't pass up on a chance to get the bike back up and on the road. It's funny how the box of parts arrived about 30 minutes after I unloaded the bike and with any luck I will be slapping a plate on it Sunday.

Thanks for any and all input.

How about some pics?
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Pretty happy with my 850. Only issue I've had with it is whoever did the last oil change put the oil filter on too flippen tight. Only was to get it out was to spread lots of blankets on the ground and lay the bike down on its side, use sheet metal screws to secure wrench to filter and use a 24" breaker bar to get it loose.

Other than that, its been great.

Too damn many bikes to list

I have heard..they are fairly easy to convert to 1100 ? Anyone [really] know ? What I heard was bar-room talk from some "experts"

{If} true, then perhaps even 1150 / 1200? Depending how involved one wants to get. Given the much lower prices of them, and I've noticed lower miles on average, it might not be a bad way to go? I knew a guy who bought the last one a dealer had, that was going out of business. It was that medium green...He LUVS the thing !! Commuting, shorts rides, etc. Saves his RT for travel.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I have heard..they are fairly easy to convert to 1100 ? Anyone [really] know ? What I heard was bar-room talk from some "experts"

{If} true, then perhaps even 1150 / 1200? Depending how involved one wants to get. Given the much lower prices of them, and I've noticed lower miles on average, it might not be a bad way to go? I knew a guy who bought the last one a dealer had, that was going out of business. It was that medium green...He LUVS the thing !! Commuting, shorts rides, etc. Saves his RT for travel.
    Head back to the bar and let all the "experts" know the easiest way to convert an 850 to an 1100 is to sell the 850 and buy an 1100.

They all have one right? Seriously though that's actually a pretty nice looking bike.

There are quite a few not immediately apparent differences between the R850 vs R1100
    - 70HP vs 80-HP
    - Smaller bore, same stroke
    - Identical compression ratio (10.3:1)
    - Motronic 2.4 vs 2.2 (so the 850 is smarter!)
    - Hydraulic clutch vs mechanical
    - 6 speed transmission vs 5 speed on 1100
    - Both wheels are 17" on 850, 17" Front and 18" Rear on 1100
    - Brakes are EVO system on 850 with different size rotors
    - Partially integrated brakes on the 850, not so on 1100
    - Almost same size tank, same fuel consumption on 850 at constant 90 km/hr (not going to save on gas with this puppy)

In some ways it seems more like an 1150GS than an 1100R.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I suspect the 850 could well be smoother than the 1100 with the smaller pistons going back and forth. The R80 is smoother than the R100.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Head back to the bar and let all the "experts" know the easiest way to convert an 850 to an 1100 is to sell the 850 and buy an 1100.

They all have one right? Seriously though that's actually a pretty nice looking bike.

There are quite a few not immediately apparent differences between the R850 vs R1100
    - 70HP vs 80-HP
    - Smaller bore, same stroke
    - Identical compression ratio (10.3:1)
    - Motronic 2.4 vs 2.2 (so the 850 is smarter!)
    - Hydraulic clutch vs mechanical
    - 6 speed transmission vs 5 speed on 1100
    - Both wheels are 17" on 850, 17" Front and 18" Rear on 1100
    - Brakes are EVO system on 850 with different size rotors
    - Partially integrated brakes on the 850, not so on 1100
    - Almost same size tank, same fuel consumption on 850 at constant 90 km/hr (not going to save on gas with this puppy)

In some ways it seems more like an 1150GS than an 1100R.

Well then considering that?...if your info is accurate then it really wouldn't be hard to 'bump' one up ? Jugs & pistons...& ya get the 6 speed . My 99 RS had 17" tires on both ends.

"Seriously though that's actually a pretty nice looking bike."

Indeed,... the one in that pic, is darn nice looking!

R850r

I purchased an R850R, which I really like for several reasons. I have short legs and can stand upright on the bike. It is much lighter than my 07 1200RT and can handle it better. Good for everyday riding. Good prices on the older R850R's as well. Very happy with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I suspect the 850 could well be smoother than the 1100 with the smaller pistons going back and forth. The R80 is smoother than the R100.
    I'm not so sure. The R80 has a very heavy flywheel which gives it that built in inertia. It's over built and under powered. Not sure if that's the case with an R850.

In any case airheads and oilheads is apples and oranges. They are both boxers but so very different.

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Well then considering that?...if your info is accurate then it really wouldn't be hard to 'bump' one up ? Jugs & pistons...& ya get the 6 speed . My 99 RS had 17" tires on both ends.
    Since the stroke is identical you might be able to do it but why bother? Apparently it keeps up with an 1100 easily so why bother? According to a buddy due o gear ratios the RPMs on the 850 are several hundred higher at 60MPH on the 850 riding alongside an 1100. So you'd be spinning that crank faster and using more fuel to gain what? A little more oomph at take off and on hills? Seems the 850 is geared to take care of that already. I'd ride it as designed.