Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '02 RT rear shock has two screws on each side, one is rebound, the other is???

'02 RT rear shock has two screws on each side, one is rebound, the other is???

Hi, I'm looking at an OEM rear shock and see two screws one for rebound (H - S) and on the opposite side another screw with only notches. What does that notches screw adjust? (I'm not talking about the pre-load knob.)

Thanks,
    Chris...

I would guess compression. It's all that's left after rebound and preload are accounted for.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

I would have thought the same, but the owner's manual doesn't mention it. When I tried searching online only the rebound and preload were mentioned as possible adjustments? I put the screwdriver to the odd screw and it does turn to a noticeable detent on the various notches. (The shock has been removed from the bike.)

Historically, BMW has only offered rebound damping and preload adjustment on their shocks (at best), never compression damping.

how about posting a pic, to help us determine what you're dealing with?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisz View Post
    Hi, I'm looking at an OEM rear shock and see two screws one for rebound (H - S) and on the opposite side another screw with only notches.
    Manufacturing process.

The screw on the bottom, it doesn't do anything to the rebound screw if it is turned.

Left Coast Rider
    With your picture of the shocks out of the bike are we correct in assuming you've replaced them with something else?

The shocks in the photo are not mine. The photos are stolen off the web. But they correctly show the screw I inquired about on the rear shock. But yes I did replace my shocks with much newer OEM.

I am going to take a wild guess: BMW doesn't make struts (shocks). Somebody makes them for them. Who exactly has changed over the years. I don't know who made yours.

But, BMW specifies what it wants. Let's say adjustable preload and adjustable rebound damping. Now BMW isn't the only buyer of that supplier's shocks. So they take an off the shelf shock body and equip it with innards (highly tech term) to meet BMW specifications. If that off the shelf shock body happened to work with both rebound and compression damping but the valving for compression damping were left out of the insides, then an extra adjusting screw that didn't do anything would still be in that off the shelf body.

I think they did, and they did, and they did, and that's what you get.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I'll bet if you tried to order that extra screw it would be priced as if it were an essential BMW part.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I'll bet if you tried to order that extra screw it would be priced as if it were an essential BMW part.
    Well of course, Kevin. It and the O ring around it is what keeps the oil from all falling out.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    The shocks in the photo are not mine. The photos are stolen off the web. But they correctly show the screw I inquired about on the rear shock. But yes I did replace my shocks with much newer OEM.
    If the shock in the photo is the same as yours the big knob is your preload adjuster and the small screw adjusts the rebound damping on an 1100RT. Any others would just be assembly parts. Is that what you are after?
    Last edited by happy wanderer; 10-03-2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: The usual confusion...
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I have the same screw ON my 1997 RT

This is a terrible photo, sorry, best I can do on my hands and knees with a beer in hand and camera in the other. [ATTACH]41949

This is my "bouncy" adjustment. The "fat man" adjustment is the really big knobby doodad. The screw in the image from chrisz is staked tight on mine on the opposite side from my "bouncy" screw. There is no way it's moving. I would hazard a guess that this screw is the oil/gas fill and if it moves, things might be a bit FUBAR.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "Life isn't about how fast or how high, it's about how well you bounce."

Fubar? I don't know, but it does turn on my and stops at the detents...

Fubar? I don't know, but it does turn on my and stops at the detents...
    If I can get a picture of my screw, I will. It can't be turned. The marks are from a stake tool and the edge of one slot has a center punch mark that keeps it from turning. I strongly suspect everyone here is right in assuming it's just a plug with an o-ring on it and it was the oil/gas fill. I would be reluctant to mess with it just in case it leaks. At that point, the shock is now two bouncy bits with a spring.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "Life isn't about how fast or how high, it's about how well you bounce."