Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Bar end mirrors on heated grips & wtb replacement rubber to cover heating elements

  1. #1
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    883

    Bar end mirrors on heated grips & wtb replacement rubber to cover heating elements

    I'd posted this on the flying brick page w/out any reply - maybe someone reading this has gone thru a similar experience:

    I've got a new shorter Parabellum windshield. I've removed the riser bar backs as my bars are "C's" and it's good w/out them.

    I've got heated grips - I've looked around online and see how BMW makes them - they're tiny strands of wire wrapped around the grip and then coated with some kind of wax paper of some short.

    Wondering if anyone has replaced the rubber grips and how you did it w/out cutting into the wires and messing up the heating elements. From what I see, it doesn't look like the ends have any wires running across them.

    The reason I need to switch mirrors is the "mickey mouse" mirrors interfere with the turning radius of the bars and collide with the windshield - Not Good!

    Parabellum suggested these bar ends and it looks like they may work that don't compete for the inside of the bars;

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRG-HINDSIGH...ht_3502wt_1161

    I'd like to be able to pull this off - love the heated grips - at the same time would like to replace the existing grey rubber grips with black - if a solution here what is a good grip to replace? I've read the throttle grip has a larger diameter hole than the other side and heated grips need a larger diameter hole. The grey colored BMW grip color I'd like to replace in black
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    I'd posted this on the flying brick page w/out any reply - maybe someone reading this has gone thru a similar experience:

    I've got a new shorter Parabellum windshield. I've removed the riser bar backs as my bars are "C's" and it's good w/out them.

    I've got heated grips - I've looked around online and see how BMW makes them - they're tiny strands of wire wrapped around the grip and then coated with some kind of wax paper of some short.

    Wondering if anyone has replaced the rubber grips and how you did it w/out cutting into the wires and messing up the heating elements. From what I see, it doesn't look like the ends have any wires running across them.

    The reason I need to switch mirrors is the "mickey mouse" mirrors interfere with the turning radius of the bars and collide with the windshield - Not Good!

    Parabellum suggested these bar ends and it looks like they may work that don't compete for the inside of the bars;

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRG-HINDSIGH...ht_3502wt_1161

    I'd like to be able to pull this off - love the heated grips - at the same time would like to replace the existing grey rubber grips with black - if a solution here what is a good grip to replace? I've read the throttle grip has a larger diameter hole than the other side and heated grips need a larger diameter hole. The grey colored BMW grip color I'd like to replace in black


    As far as rubber removal? Start with a sharp exacto knife. At the inside [flange end] pull up and toward the bar end with the old rubber, and very carefully slice into it a little at a time. Continue to lift & pull as you cut / slice and you should have no problem. Just do not cut deep, or rush yourself. As far as what grip to use? I can't decide either. I'm thinking either a foam [Grab-On or Johar] or perhaps trying the old barrel style. I did see one, that the owner place thin foam over the heat element, then used {European} bicycle leather handlebar wrap to cover it with. I [looked] really nice. He [said] it was comfortable? And the heat was just as good, maybe better? And of course the bar-end mirrors slip into the hollow ends. Only trouble there is you lose the bar-end weights...if that's a problem too you? There are also clamp-on bar-end mirrors.

  3. #3
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    883

    Cutting End Of Grips K75s '87

    My plan it installing bar end grips - as mentioned, I've got a Parabellum windshield and the stock mirrors interfere with movement of the handlebars.

    I did a little exploring last night with an exact knife by cutting away a center piece of rubber on the end grip - it looks safe to continue carving out a hole so I can install the bar end grips.

    Ideally, I'd like to replace the entire grip but am not up for chancing cutting the wires - gray's not my favorite grip color but the heated grips work so well.

    Before I continue cutting away, I've attached a picture - any suggestions, words of wisdom confirming that there aren't any wires that will get cut on the end - are appreciated.

    Also, is there any significant difference between these two brands of mirrors?

    Can someone please tell me what the difference is between these two brands of bar end mirrors.

    Open to suggestions:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/250748527966...84.m1438.l2649

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kentuvman; 10-01-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    My plan it installing bar end grips - as mentioned, I've got a Parabellum windshield and the stock mirrors interfere with movement of the handlebars.

    I did a little exploring last night with an exact knife by cutting away a center piece of rubber on the end grip - it looks safe to continue carving out a hole so I can install the bar end grips.

    Ideally, I'd like to replace the entire grip but am not up for chancing cutting the wires - gray's not my favorite grip color but the heated grips work so well.

    Before I continue cutting away, I've attached a picture - any suggestions, words of wisdom confirming that there aren't any wires that will get cut on the end - are appreciated.

    Also, is there any significant difference between these two brands of mirrors?

    Can someone please tell me what the difference is between these two brands of bar end mirrors.

    Open to suggestions:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/250748527966...84.m1438.l2649

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en


    Links showed nothing?

    You do mean bar-end mirrors ? Not grips? There are no wires in the "hollow" end of the bar. And cutting the old grip off is not that dangerous to the heat element [wires] As I said just be sure to go slow, lift up & back on the grip rubber as you go. I just cut a set off of a K1200LT, and had no problem with them. Personal opinion,...I would go with the slightly more expensive, and better quality mirror...Talbot I believe is the brand? There is another 'better' brand If I can recall the name ?? I'll post it later. Perhaps someone else will remember?

  5. #5
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Links showed nothing?

    You do mean bar-end mirrors ? Not grips? There are no wires in the "hollow" end of the bar. And cutting the old grip off is not that dangerous to the heat element [wires] As I said just be sure to go slow, lift up & back on the grip rubber as you go. I just cut a set off of a K1200LT, and had no problem with them. Personal opinion,...I would go with the slightly more expensive, and better quality mirror...Talbot I believe is the brand? There is another 'better' brand If I can recall the name ?? I'll post it later. Perhaps someone else will remember?
    Thanks - spoke with a dealer who sells CNG bar end mirrors - sounds like they're the top end.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  6. #6
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    3,425
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    There are no wires in the "hollow" end of the bar.
    Actually, that IS where the wires go through. They go from the grip, THROUGH the hollow end of the bar, out a hole in the center of the bar to the switch harness.

    The bar end mirrors that you previously posted a link to, attach to bar end weights, which you do not have. Most bar end weights do not have an opening for the wires to pass through, but K100 ones made for heated grips should.


    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Actually, that IS where the wires go through. They go from the grip, THROUGH the hollow end of the bar, out a hole in the center of the bar to the switch harness.

    The bar end mirrors that you previously posted a link to, attach to bar end weights, which you do not have. Most bar end weights do not have an opening for the wires to pass through, but K100 ones made for heated grips should.



    Well the K1200LT that I just stripped the grips off of...has NO wires in end...perhaps different models are different?

  8. #8
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    3,425
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Well the K1200LT that I just stripped the grips off of...has NO wires in end...perhaps different models are different?
    Yep, that's why the K12s should really be in a different section. The only thing that is similar between the classic Ks and the K12s is the layout of the engine.

    Unlike K100s and K1100s, the K75 doesn't use bar end weights, so the grips have no hole in the end. The wire exits the heating element right at the end of the grip just below the rubber end of the grip and then goes through a bushing in the grip that centers the wire to the end of the bar.

    I believe that the K100 and K1100 heated grip bars have a notch in the end and the bar end weight mounts have a slot for the wire.



    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  9. #9
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Yep, that's why the K12s should really be in a different section. The only thing that is similar between the classic Ks and the K12s is the layout of the engine.

    Unlike K100s and K1100s, the K75 doesn't use bar end weights, so the grips have no hole in the end. The wire exits the heating element right at the end of the grip just below the rubber end of the grip and then goes through a bushing in the grip that centers the wire to the end of the bar.

    I believe that the K100 and K1100 heated grip bars have a notch in the end and the bar end weight mounts have a slot for the wire.



    Lee - understand what you're saying - didn't realize the wire to the heated grip exits so close to the end of the grip - so it sounds like adding the CRG Billet Barend Mirror Adapter will most likely short out the wire to the grips - does that sound right?

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRG-BILLET-B...4031f1&vxp=mtr

    Almost seems if I want bar end mirrors, I'm going to have to part with my heated grips
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    Lee - understand what you're saying - didn't realize the wire to the heated grip exits so close to the end of the grip - so it sounds like adding the CRG Billet Barend Mirror Adapter will most likely short out the wire to the grips - does that sound right?

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRG-BILLET-B...4031f1&vxp=mtr

    Almost seems if I want bar end mirrors, I'm going to have to part with my heated grips

    OR ...there are clamp-on mirrors !

  11. #11
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    OR ...there are clamp-on mirrors !
    Still can't figure out how I could get them work work w/out some way of keeping the right mirror stationary when throttle twists.

    Here's an image of the clamp on CRG but still how would I mount it - I can only figure it would work with the billet adapter that goes inside the handle bar ends.

    http://compare.ebay.com/like/3004500...Types&var=sbar
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    Still can't figure out how I could get them work work w/out some way of keeping the right mirror stationary when throttle twists.

    Here's an image of the clamp on CRG but still how would I mount it - I can only figure it would work with the billet adapter that goes inside the handle bar ends.

    http://compare.ebay.com/like/3004500...Types&var=sbar

    On my Roadster the bar end weight is stationary, looking at the pic of the clamp-on's, it appears that they clamp on the weight.

  13. #13
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    3,425
    My first thought would be to adjust the bars, the lever perches, and the mirror stalks. Rotate the bars so the ends are slightly lower. Rotate the lever perches so the levers are slightlyhigher. Rotate the mirror stalks slightly to the rear.

    Remember, that windscreen was designed to work on an S. The C bars are slightly wider, slightly further back, and about 1 1/2" higher.


    The second thing I would consider are aftermarket mirrors that would mount in the stock holes. There are many shorter aftermarket mirrors that will mount in the stock holes if you drill and tap the stock holes to 10mm:


    Name:  2 bikes.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  132.1 KB


    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  14. #14
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    883
    Lee do you know where you purchased your mirrors & brand? Will S bars work better with the stock mirrors? Thanks
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  15. #15
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    3,425
    Since the windscreen was designed for S bars on an S, obviously.

    http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster...bike-ax-mirror

    Unless you have a lefthand 10mm tap, don't get the Yamaha one.



    The Napoleon GP mirror with 5" stem is virtually the same.






    Last edited by 98lee; 10-02-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •