Thread: oil head temperature in traffic

Hybrid View

oil head temperature in traffic

Just wondering ,as a new owner,how long my 2004 rt can sit in bumper to bumper traffic on a warm day (or any day ) before i need to be concerned about overheating the engine? And what should i be on the lookout for ,other than the engine heat indicator rising to let me know i should pull over and shut it down?I've not been stuck in traffic yet and the engine monitor has not gone above five bars.Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by dj19343 View Post
    Just wondering ,as a new owner,how long my 2004 rt can sit in bumper to bumper traffic on a warm day (or any day ) before i need to be concerned about overheating the engine? And what should i be on the lookout for ,other than the engine heat indicator rising to let me know i should pull over and shut it down?I've not been stuck in traffic yet and the engine monitor has not gone above five bars.Thanks in advance.
    Personally, Any time the temp starts edging up into the last 25% on the gauge, I start getting concerned. As for what to be on the lookout for? The temp gauge is all you got. If it does get hot, the sooner you can get some wind rushing over the engine the better off you'll be. Don't be afraid to pull off to a safe spot and wait it out if need be.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

I've been in that situation a few times.
    At border crossings I've always been able to push the bike with the engine off. People don't seem to mind.
    Once in a traffic jam I just parked and waited on the shoulder.

The bike will probably stand more than you think but there is definitely a limit.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

I have seen bikes where the paint has blistered near the header pipes.

I got caught in the Holland tunnel in May of last year (the holiday weekend) on my '02 RT. I managed to totally max out the temp guage right at the bottom of the tunnel. Fortunately the traffic started flowing then (there was a car stalled right at the bottom). It cooled down quickly as I started moving again.
    The bike didn't skip a beat, although my heart was in my throat for the last 15 minutes of the descent.

If you're worried about engine temps, high or low, first step is synthetic engine oil.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S