Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Techronization: Definition

My source was a chemist who worked for an oil company other than Shell. I had a long discussion with him following an oil seminar at the National in Salem. I asked about "nitrogen in the gas" and he explained that nitrogen was part of (some long sounding name with nitrous or nitric in it) which is a result of the refining process of gasoline, period.

I also know that gasoline is considered a fungible product - the additive package is introduced when the truck loads at the terminal. That doesn't mean that Shell has the same additive package as Uncle Joes Convenience Store. It also doesn't mean that one tanker truck of Brand X is identical to the next tanker truck of Brand X.

I also have decided that it is futile to try to believe and act upon marketing hype from anybody. Does one brand of soap get rid of ring around the collar better than washing your neck? Are $499 basketball shoes necessary so you can jump higher, run faster, and hit more three point shots? Have women smokers really come "a long way baby"?

You all have to decide what you want to believe.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I'll go out on a limb and say that BOTH statements are true.
    Yes Shell adds it (just Google "Shell V-Power" and get to the Shell USA site; they have a brochure that talks about it).
    Also Google "nitrogen" and read the Wikipedia (et al) entries.

PS: I'm pushing off on another extended trip next week. SoCal this time.

Argh. You dog. I expect real time updates during the ride and a summary afterward.
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

The most expensive and effective gasoline cleaning additive is known by the name PEA

Here is a quote about PEA and who has it from Gumout

Most truly effective fuel system cleaners utilize PEA based detergents and offer the best cleaning power of any of the fuel additives on the market. Not only do they clean better than PIB or PIBA, they can clean more fuel system parts. It takes an extremely powerful detergent to remove the pressure cooked deposits found on cylinder heads, piston tops and combustion chamber walls, and PEA can do this. In direct injection systems it will also clean up the injectors and keep them clean. Gumout has a few items in their portfolio including Regane, High Mileage Regane and All in One Complete Fuel treatments. Chevron Techron pour in fuel additives also have this type of detergent. Check out the various manufacturers? websites, MSDS and Technical bulletins and you may find what types of additives they use in their formula.

Now the down side is this is powerful stuff. If you mix it too strong, it can damage fuel pumps and injectors by attacking the insulation varnish, which is not that much different than the varnish in the fuel. Also some varnish in ring grooves is beneficial, since it promotes good ring seal to the groove and reduces piston groove wear. So about 1/4? to 1/3 bottle, maybe one half bottle on a GSA is a good dose.
    Another thing is the oil change thing. It is not necessary. The little bit that ends up in the oil might be helpful since most of the black deposit in the intake comes from the crankcase vent in the air box, at the throttle plate and at the idle air screw there is a pressure change, so the temp falls and some of the oil gunk change to liquid and then to gunk. The detergent in there might keep the gunk liquid a bit longer so it will not build up as much.

Rod

Sometimes I wish acronyms were better explained, UFDA was explained.

As a Bosch rep, mostly diesel, additives, gas and diesel additives were endorsed to a degree. There were some additives that were good and some rather questionable, like my garter snake juice. The best diesel fuel additive had a pile of acronyms attached but was actually Stoddard Solvent. Remember that? It was used by dry cleaners, no longer, but fine in a diesel engine.

In Canada, and you can argue this forever, but ALL gasoline used in MOTIVE FUEL has at least 2% Ethanol. Not all octane numbers are actually what you put in the tank. It can be a Real Octane Number, RON at the tank facility but by the time it hits the tank at the gas station, can be different.

At the tank facility, usually called the Rack, individual fuel retailers would add their specific blend to the truck. It's the same in the Aviation sector. Not all Jet "A"-"B" or Avgas is the same.

We also have something called "Seasonal Adjustment" in Canada. Fuel, gas or diesel can be different on a late October Thursday in Winnipeg than it is on the same day in Toronto.

Bosch even put out a tech bulletin saying that their injectors would never need to be repaired or cleaned when using approved additives, like Techron. That one you could argue.

Bottom line, you do the best you can to have a fun ride with the minimum of hassle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I am about to head out and grab some Garter snake juice from the highway right away. If you want, send me your old Amsoil containers or Guiness bottles.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I also know that gasoline is considered a fungible product - the additive package is introduced when the truck loads at the terminal. That doesn't mean that Shell has the same additive package as Uncle Joes Convenience Store. It also doesn't mean that one tanker truck of Brand X is identical to the next tanker truck of Brand X.
    I'll second this, based on the input of a friend who has run refinery operations for a few decades. All brands pull their tanker trucks to the same spigot for loading, at which point the additive package is added to the same refined gasoline. Case in point: Hawaii has two oil refineries, but all the same brands you'll find everywhere else. It's the same gas.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA