Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Techronization: Definition

Left Coast Rider

Techronization: Definition

Verb: The act of treating your bike to a bottle of Techron
    Also see: Chevronology

Now, how necessary is it? I typically run Chevron Premium fuel in my R1100S. Its supposed to have "More Techron" in it than their other blends. When I'm not using Chevron, its Shell V-Power Premium which is "nitrogen enriched to clean fuel injectors, etc...".

Short story is my bike runs great with 60,000 km on it. Should I give it a Techron treatment which I believe is a full bottle in one tank of gas?

Your knowledge, input, opinions, and smart-ass remarks are always welcome.
    Last edited by BC1100S; 09-25-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: More info

Yes, just before your next oil change. A bottle treats 20 gallons, so you need 1/4 bottle. Keep the rest for your next 36,000 miles repeating the dose at 12K intervals
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    When I'm not using Chevron, its Shell V-Power Premium which is "nitrogen enriched to clean fuel injectors...".
    All pump gasoline contains nitrogen. It is a byproduct of the refining process. Shell advertises the fact to get you to buy theirs.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

While nitrogen by itself is inert (non-reactive), added to gasoline it becomes a catalyst and helps it burn better.
    (Not a chemist, but I read it on the internet...)
    Nitrogen (by itself) is also very effective for displacing water (personal experience).
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 09-25-2013 at 10:34 PM.

It's what is recommended by BMW- see the same bottle with BMW label at your local dealer. It's a help with all the engines I run.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Techron is rare to find here.

I use Techron when I can get it, sometimes it's a bit of stretch.

Just a few minutes north is the garter snake capital of the planet. Google "Narcisse Snake Pits".

For just a few days each spring and fall, they crawl across the highway and are subsequently flattened. A bunch of us usually go out and squeegee the highway to collect the juice. We have a real neat machine that sucks it up. Since we rarely remember to bring new containers, we put it in our old Amsoil bottles.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    I use Techron when I can get it, sometimes it's a bit of stretch.

Just a few minutes north is the garter snake capital of the planet. Google "Narcisse Snake Pits".

For just a few days each spring and fall, they crawl across the highway and are subsequently flattened. A bunch of us usually go out and squeegee the highway to collect the juice. We have a real neat machine that sucks it up. Since we rarely remember to bring new containers, we put it in our old Amsoil bottles.
    It took me a second read but that was very funny. I think it qualifies as a "smart-ass remark".

Thanks to all who responded!

And if you have to, you can thin it out with Marvel...

Shrill whistle ..... 15 yards ..... piling on.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I figure if I've gone over 50 years without putting anything in my gas and I never had any problems, it's probably not necessary.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    All pump gasoline contains nitrogen. It is a byproduct of the refining process. Shell advertises the fact to get you to buy theirs.
    and Guinness has nitrogen...

I would use it as often as possible. Any improvement in performance will bring you closer to the RS experience.

It probably is not necessary, especially if you are running Chevron fuel.

I ran some through my truck years ago and the difference was quite noticeable. I use it a Paul Glaves recommends.
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    I would use it as often as possible. Any improvement in performance will bring you closer to the RS experience.
    YOU again. Drat!

An "RS experience", eh? Precisely what I was trying to avoid.

I'll give it a try anyway.

PS: I'm pushing off on another extended trip next week. SoCal this time.

Okay, my experience with Techron is with our '98 F-150, so prolly not relevant to an R11S, but what the hey!

Truck has 198,000 miles on it, and has Chevron gas in it 99.67453% of it's life under our care. At 120k took it into a Ford dealer for a routine service. Service manager said it was probably "due for another injector cleaning and set of spark plugs". When I said, "what do you mean by 'another', it's never had an injector cleaning, nor a set of new plugs", he did not believe me. Truck had all services done (other than routine oil changes that I did) at authorized dealers. We pulled out all the paperwork and verified that the motor had the original spark plugs and injectors never removed. Decided to let them do the cleaning and injector service... Mechanic noted on finished work report that the injectors were clean, and spark plugs still looked "okay". But given the mileage they did the cleaning and plug replacement. At 198k the truck still runs strong! Service manager said most 150's they saw in their shop really needed plugs/injectors around 70-75k, even though the 'service' life of the plugs was supposed to be 90k.

So, yeah, I'm a believer in this Techron magic! ((PS. I used to drive a tanker truck for another oil company (rhymes with ARCO) but won't use anything other than Chevron/Texaco in any of our vehicles.))

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it,

YMMV!
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    While nitrogen by itself is inert (non-reactive), added to gasoline it becomes a catalyst and helps it burn better.
    (Not a chemist, but I read it on the internet...)
    Nitrogen (by itself) is also very effective for displacing water (personal experience).
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    All pump gasoline contains nitrogen. It is a byproduct of the refining process. Shell advertises the fact to get you to buy
    theirs.
    So, which of these statements are true? Is nitrogen added to gasoline or is it a part of the refining process as Paul indicates?
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom