Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Considering buying new rt

Considering buying new rt

I am thinking of replacing my 04 r1150rt with a new rt. Any comments pro or con. My 04 is in perfect condition but I have the bug.

Keep it and find a nice old airhead to add to the stable!

That is a very good idea. I have always wanted an older beemer. Definitely something to consider, thanks

Get a vintage British sports car. That'll take your mind off a new bike!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsur52 View Post
    ....and empty your wallet just as effectively!

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsur52 View Post
    ...and then you don't have to worry about motorcycles , period. Because you will have no time. You will be too busy wrenching on the thing and fixing the Lucas electrics...

Cool

I'm in the same boat with a great '02 R1150RT that is in excellent condition and runs like it's brand new. The FD was rebuilt recently so that issue is a long way down the road before it rears its ugly head again. However, as good as my present RT is, it can't compare to the new R1200RT Wethead coming out in 2014. No one knows what it's actually going to look like (except for recent spied photos) but the expectation is the same refined bike with K1600GTL dash and this year's GS1200 Wethead with a few tweaks to gear ratio's.

For me, my '02 will find a new owner and a new 2014 RT will take it's place.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by DarwinCross View Post
    I am thinking of replacing my 04 r1150rt with a new rt. Any comments pro or con. My 04 is in perfect condition but I have the bug.
    I know, there are a couple of other factors to consider, but your 04 RT represents a certain value to you, I assume.
    You will NOT get this when you sell it or trade it in.
    So, - if you have the room
    - if you have the money
    - if you have the passion

keep the RT and add a new one to it. Better yet - unless you are a diehard Boxer fan - get soemthing else other than an RT and broaden your horizon by experiencing a different bike concept.

Well I'm always happy to help. Send me your addy and I will mail you a check for $3,000 and I will come pick up the bike.

Nice down payment on that new RT don't ya think?????

No, you don't have to thank me, really.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Well I'm always happy to help. Send me your addy and I will mail you a check for $3,000 and I will come pick up the bike.
    ..even though it is not Boston Green..

I've bought 2 new RT's in the past 3 years, and they are great bikes. I also have an R60/6 that I bought new, and it's fun tinkering with that, but my daily work ride is the RT. I'll probably trade the RT in another year or 6 months for another RT. The only problems I've had are with the funky left control switches, and this is across the model lines that share the same type of switch.

R1200RT is lighter with more power, smoother with balance shaft, way more modern radio even with Sirius.

R1200RT is safer with ASC, ABS is simpler, warmer with heated seat, coolest tankbag mounting ever, you can have ESA and TPMS.

Can't think of a single thing better about the older bike.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Biggest difference in my case is ability to maintain. Oilheads can be maintained by the dedicated user with some mechanical ability and the desire to learn. The hexheads present a lot of barriers to self maintenance. Not to say you cannot learn about them also but all that plastic and Canbus electronics make it less straightforward.

There are a few other things about the 1200 I don't care for mostly around unnecessary complexity and I really don't like the glove box. You drop something small down that deep narrow space and have fun getting it out.

Sure is a nice bike to ride though. Brakes, handling, smoothness is all improved and the one I rode did NOT surge. Very nimble and easy to ride bike.

My opinion is worth exactly what it cost you of course.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    ..even though it is not Boston Green..
    Of course, just trying to help out another member buy a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Biggest difference in my case is ability to maintain. Oilheads can be maintained by the dedicated user with some mechanical ability and the desire to learn. The hexheads present a lot of barriers to self maintenance. Not to say you cannot learn about them also but all that plastic and Canbus electronics make it less straightforward.

There are a few other things about the 1200 I don't care for mostly around unnecessary complexity and I really don't like the glove box. You drop something small down that deep narrow space and have fun getting it out.

Sure is a nice bike to ride though. Brakes, handling, smoothness is all improved and the one I rode did NOT surge. Very nimble and easy to ride bike.

My opinion is worth exactly what it cost you of course.
    I agree that the 1200's are a better motorcycle in most every respect.

I also agree that Oilheads can be maintained by village idiots such as myself. A good manual, a lack of fear of screwing up and viola, you can do it yourself.

And this will cost you less that the quoted advice.