Thread: Split fuel filter

Split fuel filter

2013-09-23 004.jpg

Obvious as to why my 96 R1100RT has not been running well. I realize that the fuel injection system is under pressure, but you would think a hose would have blown first. Has anyone else encountered this particular event?
    Mark Evans
    1974 R 75/6
    "Life is a state of mind"

Wow.

No.

When BMW first came out with the K bikes the filters were stamped with part numbers - stamped into the metal as opposed to painted or printed on. The things split frequently. They went to printed marking.

Nonetheless, the filters do break occasionally in both K bikes and Oilheads.

Is that an OEM filter? If not, what is it?

Replace the filter. Then if it were my bike I'd give it a fuel pressure test by "T"ing into the fuel line from the pump before the regulator. I forget the spec - something just a bit under or over 40 psi for sure but I forget if it is 42 or 36 - one for oilheads and the other for K bikes. If it is much higher it is a regulator problem.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

This is a OEM, BMW filter, with the printed markings.
    Mark Evans
    1974 R 75/6

Quote Originally Posted by 130253 View Post
    This is a OEM, BMW filter, with the printed markings.
    Probably a defect, but I would check the pressure, or have it done at a shop.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Yep, what he said:

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Probably a defect, but I would check the pressure, or have it done at a shop.
    The filter will take almost 200 psi. I know that for a fact. It won't take any amount of water in the fuel to start the aluminum oxide corrosion, that you can see on the nipple of the filter in the picture.

It also can't take more than a few minutes of "surging" in the fuel system. Something like a chattering pressure relief regulator kills them pretty quick.

Best to get the system checked thoroughly. But, then again, I was a Bosch rep for the last little while dealing with warranty and yours is no real surprise. Bosch makes very little on their own. Most of Bosch is outsourced.

That is an old filter by the way. The stamping didn't contribute to the failure. "Buy Bosch, It's German Engineered", made in Mexico.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

One simple thing that can do that is if the supply hose isn't fully "clicked" at the disconnect. It would be pumping into a deadhead. But usually a hose blows off.

Thank you all for the info. I will most definately have the system and pressure checked.
    Mark Evans
    1974 R 75/6

Fuel filter split

Been there, done that. 94 R1100RS. Cat turned bright red and bike wouldn't run.

Quote Originally Posted by will3hawks View Post
    Been there, done that. 94 R1100RS. Cat turned bright red and bike wouldn't run.
    When my hose split, same type of thing. Your cat turned bright red due to the mixture getting so lean it misfired, leaving gas and air to burn in the cat. Cost me a catalytic converter on my Xterra when it happened and I ignored it ...

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar

Cool

In case you pressure test.
    R oilhead regulator: 3 bar or 43.5PSI
    K bikes: 3.5 bar or 50.7 PSI

Not sure but I think if you measure pump side you'll see higher pressures than above.
    Post regulator side should be close to spec.

I was toying with the idea of mounting a k bike regulator in my RT to see what would happen.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT