Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The best aerodynamic windshield for highway use?

JohnWC
    " That having been said, I have a Parabellum on order and will let you know what I think of it."

I would appreciate that. I was also wondering why you decided to go with Parabellum this time?

I have to say, the most exasperating thing about these aftermarket fairings is dealing with the companies. I have called Cee Bailey, Parabellum and Aeroflow.
    I ask, " What size are your fairings?"
    They say, "They are (x amount) larger than stock."
    Then I say, "What size is stock?"
    They say, "I don't know."
    We go round and round until they basically say they don't know what size their own fairings are. Have to go measure them. Call back.
    Believe me, I'm not exaggerating. And their web sites are the same, no actual measurements as a rule. Just, " bigger than "stock". All three companies are completely unaware that BMW offered these bikes with three different sized "stock" fairings: regular, touring, and tall. Pretty hard to get a single measurement from three different sizes. I would think it would be a lot simpler to just take a Stanley tape to the stock room and measure the things. Put it on a 3 x 5 card by the phone. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jconway607 View Post
    " That having been said, I have a Parabellum on order and will let you know what I think of it."

I would appreciate that. I was also wondering why you decided to go with Parabellum this time?

I have to say, the most exasperating thing about these aftermarket fairings is dealing with the companies. I have called Cee Bailey, Parabellum and Aeroflow.
    I ask, " What size are your fairings?"
    They say, "They are (x amount) larger than stock."
    Then I say, "What size is stock?"
    They say, "I don't know."
    We go round and round until they basically say they don't know what size their own fairings are. Have to go measure them. Call back.
    Believe me, I'm not exaggerating. And their web sites are the same, no actual measurements as a rule. Just, " bigger than "stock". All three companies are completely unaware that BMW offered these bikes with three different sized "stock" fairings: regular, touring, and tall. Pretty hard to get a single measurement from three different sizes. I would think it would be a lot simpler to just take a Stanley tape to the stock room and measure the things. Put it on a 3 x 5 card by the phone. Just a thought.
    Funny, I just looked at http://www.ceebaileys.com/wsdesign01.htm and in the big red box is the measurement which they use as a base to add height.

That is assuming that when you say fairing you really mean windshield.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

JohnWC
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Funny, I just looked at http://www.ceebaileys.com/wsdesign01.htm and in the big red box is the measurement which they use as a base to add height.
    This actually only proves my point. Yes, I've seen the big red box on Cee Bailey's site. There's only two problems with that handy system. . For one, you will notice, as I said, they do not actually list the size of their own windshield. I'm still missing what is so difficult about doing that? Number two, I have checked on the size of the three original BMW windshields, and none of them are the size that Cee Bailey claims they are in the big red box. The height is close but the width is way off.

This situation seems odd in another, curious way. There must be at least a dozen motorcycle magazines published. They constantly comparison test multiple $15,000 bikes, they test helmets, tires, oil. About everything on a bikes gets careful scrutiny. But not one of most important accessories you can add to one: the windscreen. There's a publishing scoop for some editor out there.

The problem with windshields, as I have experienced it, is that what works perfectly for one rider fails miserably for another rider. We are shaped differently and sit differently. And that sometimes puts our heads and shoulders in different places relative to the windshield.

I had the OEM "International Shield" on my '86 K75T. The wind over the top of the shield hit me right at eye/eye brow level. Thus my extension on the top of the shield. I have the same shield on my '94 K75. It is perfect without the extension because it is a low seat model.

A one or two inch difference in head position can make all the difference.

Then there are those personal preferences and compromises. How much air on the helmet/head - where? How about on the shoulders (underarm jacket vents)? How about wrists/sleeves.

My message is that what works perfectly for me may fail for you!

When I bought a ZTechnik shield for my F650 Dakar the dealer told me to put it on the bike and go ride. If I didn't like it I could take it off and we would try something else. I liked it and kept it, but could have given it back.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

JohnWC
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The problem with windshields, as I have experienced it, is that what works perfectly for one rider fails miserably for another rider.
    I agree with you, Paul, and it's a point well taken. Everyone is different, and likes different things in both bikes and windshields. But it still seems like it would be an interesting, and possibly educational comparison story for the same person to take one bike, put one fairing after another on it, test ride it, same route, and express their view using the same criteria that is always talked about on the forums: general air protection, helmet buffeting, affects on handling, wind on arms/ shoulders, etc. Three riders, they all do the same thing, and give their impressions, using a 1-10 scale for each variable. There's only a small handful of aftermarket shield companies out there to test, and I think we would all find it interesting. I know I would. The in-depth oil comparison that Owner's News ran a while back was very eye opening. They seem to do this same experiment on various bike makes/models all the time. I believe that is also how Consumer Reports handles their widely seen car reviews. Yes, I know I am dreaming.
    I was interested to see that you liked the Vtechnik shield.

I agree with you, Paul, and it's a point well taken. Everyone is different, and likes different things in both bikes and windshields. But it still seems like it would be an interesting, and possibly educational comparison story for the same person to take one bike, put one fairing after another on it, test ride it, same route, and express their view using the same criteria that is always talked about on the forums: general air protection, helmet buffeting, affects on handling, wind on arms/ shoulders, etc. Three riders, they all do the same thing, and give their impressions, using a 1-10 scale for each variable. There's only a small handful of aftermarket shield companies out there to test, and I think we would all find it interesting. I know I would. The in-depth oil comparison that Owner's News ran a while back was very eye opening. They seem to do this same experiment on various bike makes/models all the time. I believe that is also how Consumer Reports handles their widely seen car reviews. Yes, I know I am dreaming.
    I was interested to see that you liked the Vtechnik shield.
    Perhaps you could call the ON editor and suggest such a story for the ON and have them see if they could get you some windshields to test and then you could share it all with us???? Just sayn.......................

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The problem with windshields, as I have experienced it, is that what works perfectly for one rider fails miserably for another rider. We are shaped differently and sit differently. And that sometimes puts our heads and shoulders in different places relative to the windshield.

I had the OEM "International Shield" on my '86 K75T. The wind over the top of the shield hit me right at eye/eye brow level. Thus my extension on the top of the shield. I have the same shield on my '94 K75. It is perfect without the extension because it is a low seat model.

A one or two inch difference in head position can make all the difference.

Then there are those personal preferences and compromises. How much air on the helmet/head - where? How about on the shoulders (underarm jacket vents)? How about wrists/sleeves.

When I bought a ZTechnik shield for my F650 Dakar the dealer told me to put it on the bike and go ride. If I didn't like it I could take it off and we would try something else. I liked it and kept it, but could have given it back.
    That is part of their "Ride and Buy" program which is really fantastic as you aren't stuck with something that doesn't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyDad View Post
    I like my Cee Baileys shield very well. I have the four inch over stock height with the Eurocut edge. I can raise it about an inch and put the air over my helmet quite nicely and I can see over it very well at this height. I have had my 04 RT up close to 100 MPH and no ill effects on handling. I put it down all the way and get air without buffeting on a hot day. This is my sixth summer with it, I am happy.
    +1 on the Cee Bailey. I really like mine.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

RK Ryder
    A friend has both a Parabellum and Cee Bailey windshield for his R1100RT. He has no preference between the two. However he rides with the Parabellum because his wife/passenger finds it to be a quieter ride for her, perched behind him.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

I have tried to do a lot of reading on the windshield topic, and seen many opinions, but I thought I would ask everyone's current thoughts on this. I believe I have a Aeroflow screen on my R1100rt. Maybe someone can confirm/refute that from the picture. All screens would seem to do a good job at medium/slow speeds. The real test, as far as I'm concerned, is at the 75 mph mark that we all have to ride at on the expressway these days. The Aeroflow is big, and offers good protection. But when you get it up, sub-eye level, I think it's like having a large flat panel, mounted almost straight up, at the top of the bike. It actually has several reverse curves in it also, to catch the air flow even more. It just doesn't cut through the wind like I think a good shield should at those speeds. And it almost makes the bike somewhat unstable. At this point I have to choose between having the wind blasting at me, or fighting the high turbulence. I haven't read of hardly anyone who thinks the stock shields are any good, and I assume all the aftermarket ones will do well keeping the wind off you. But does anyone have any experience with which one has the best aerodynamics, especially at high speeds? The 1100 is not a heavy bike. It can't just bull through 75 mph wind resistance like a heavy Goldwing or Harley. I think it needs good airflow over the fairing. What's everyone's opinion on the best one? Thanks.
    Cee Bailey; +4 flip shield with euro cut. Excellent.

I have a factory short or sport screen on my 03 R1150R. It puts the wind right at eye level at most speeds. I took it off and it was near silent smooth running.

I'm going to try to find a damaged one to cut down to protect the instrument cluster, but let me have the wind nice and smooth.

I find it way more comfortable than a concentrated blast, and better cooling in summer to boot. It will reduce the bikes drag as well, by putting the drag onto the operator. It wasn't bad at all on an hour loop on the freeway. Almost hated putting the screen back on.

So, why not remove what you have and see what you think?

Summer in Lakes Region of NH and winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ

for R1100R

I bought the R1100R to have a non-faired bike unlike my R80RT which was quiet, dry, and warm. BUT... I wanted a wind in-the-face (full faced helmet w/o shield most of the time) experience. For a longer ride to an event I put the origional shield back on and rode for hours with my head buffeted by the air on and over it. What to do? I cut 1.5 inches off of the shield with a jigsaw protected by masking tape, sanded the edge and applied a bit of black marker ink to make it look JUST like the origional edge and now I ride happy. Nice wind down to my chin, no buffeting, no cost, and EASY. If anyone thinks their shield is too tall try before buying another. It worked for me.
    2002 F650GS, 1998 R1100R 75th anniversary edition, 1983 R80RT (just sold), 1959 R60 (in restoration), Honda CT90
    If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

I'm starting to get the picture. I'm 6' 2" and find the buffeting of the stock windshield to be tough in the up and down position. I'm going to see what happens with the shield off.

I test drove a R1200GSW last month with its postage stamp of a windshield. It was so much smoother.

They don't look like much on the web site, style-wise, anyone tried one of these? http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/R1150RTprod.html

RK Ryder
    I did a two day ride earlier this week and moved the seat from my usual low position to the middle spot. Just by changing the seat position, it made the same windshield and helmet much quieter.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    I'm starting to get the picture. I'm 6' 2" and find the buffeting of the stock windshield to be tough in the up and down position. I'm going to see what happens with the shield off.

I test drove a R1200GSW last month with its postage stamp of a windshield. It was so much smoother.

They don't look like much on the web site, style-wise, anyone tried one of these? http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/R1150RTprod.html
    I have a friend who had one on a R 1200 RT and loved it.