Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: When is it too cold for you to ride?

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    When I was younger and stuff didn't hurt so much, I would ride in the snow.
    When I was a kid, I rode my Cushman year round. Had to, to operate my paper route and keep up the payments. With it's small wheels and low centre of gravity, riding on ice was doable.

The -25 F days were tough, and I had to be careful not to get frostbitten.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I've ridden as low as 15F and it's OK. I generally find it's a lot of work both in the prep to go and what to look out for.....Like the pick-up truck that backs out of a driveway and the water dumps on the road and "flash freezes".
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I really begin to rethink riding <30 degrees. It also depends on where I'm headed and how long I'll be out ... usually shorter local rides (errands, visiting friends etc).

Coldest ride for me was last Thanksgiving Sunday morning headed to Polly's Pancakes (Sugar Hill, NH) last day of the season. It was 22 when I left CT - and 16 when I hit VT. I pressed on until near exit 17(?) where the rest stop is when it really started snowing hard. Waited a bit with some free coffee and then turned tail and headed back south as the snow was really piling on the highway. I was hating to think what 117 was looking like and I wanted no part of it

With heated gear 10-15f is my limit and that's only for rides < an hour one way.

Riding a bike in the snow...pfft! You ain't a real man until you low crawl to work in the snow. If you don't know what low crawl means there is a school that teaches it in Columbus GA.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Riding a bike in the snow...pfft! You ain't a real man until you low crawl to work in the snow. If you don't know what low crawl means there is a school that teaches it in Columbus GA.
    Too funny.........My Grandfather used to say, "Ain't nothing till you saw the snow we had when I was a kid."
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

TravelsWithBarley.com
    The worst part is my driveway which gets pretty icy, but a little sand for traction helps me get to the road and from there it's all good.

I stop riding when it gets this cold...
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I stop riding when it gets this cold...
    I stop going outside if it gets that cold. I ride motorcycles for enjoyment. It isn't a contest, at least not for me.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I stop going outside if it gets that cold. I ride motorcycles for enjoyment. It isn't a contest, at least not for me.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

TravelsWithBarley.com
    In Vermont, if you let weather dictate your rides, your season is cut in half. Riding in snow, especially the big fluffy late season stuff, is magical. Pure enjoyment.

That inescapable summer heat in your part of the country, on the other hand...

40 - 45F is about it for me, with the occasional day ride if it stays colder for a longer spell as long as the roads are free of salt and ice. The bike is my escape but if its too cold it's not fun, and if its not fun I'm not doing it.

I still prefer riding in the cold to riding in brutal heat though. Turn on the seat and grips, bundle up with a vest and your good to go!
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post

That inescapable summer heat in your part of the country, on the other hand...
    Which has me touring for four months in the summer - usually in the Pacific Northwest, the Rocky Mountains, and British Columbia. I grew up in North Dakota. I know the "joy" of winter and fluffy snow. That's why we moved where we did.

And by the way, the typical summer temps at our house are generally no worse than when we lived in Lawrence, Kansas. Just more sunshine, and dryer. We live in the desert, not Houston.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Which has me touring for four months in the summer - usually in the Pacific Northwest, the Rocky Mountains, and British Columbia.
    I envy you that! So far I've not found a place I'd rather live than in Vermont, but I sure wish there was more time to look!

If the roads are dry ill ride down to 10-15f, but trip has to be 1hour or less each way. For all day riding, probably 35-40f

We live in the desert, not Houston.
    A group I ride with gives an award every year to the member who made the most memorable screw-up. Filling up your tank with diesel will get you the 'award'. So will leading rides over ice and snow cover roads. We also gave it to one guy because he moved to Houston.