Thread: new tool / toy ?

new tool / toy ?

Discovered today @ Home Depot. They're called gear ties. They are twist type ties, similar to what is on a loaf of bread. But they are of course heavier . They can be twisted or double wrapped. I played with the 'demo' laying there, and it seemed very strong. They come in 3" to 18" and in various colors. Could easily replace, take the place of Zip-Ties, and of course reusable .

Make your own from a scrap of solid copper electrical wire. Use 10, 12 or 14 gauge. Any length you want, multiple colors and easily replaced.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I've had a couple of these kicking around in my hiking pack for a while now, thinking, "One of these days, I just know I'm going to need to hold two sticks together with these." Hasn't happened yet. Places I'd normally use a zip tie, I generally want a more positive binding than these feel like they'll give me.

They're a very pretty neon orange, though.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    I've had a couple of these kicking around in my hiking pack for a while now, thinking, "One of these days, I just know I'm going to need to hold two sticks together with these." Hasn't happened yet. Places I'd normally use a zip tie, I generally want a more positive binding than these feel like they'll give me.

They're a very pretty neon orange, though.

Well forgive me for making such a silly-assed suggestion about something I thought some may find useful, I'm quite sure it is due to my woeful ignorance and total lack of practical application. I do apologize for not having your obvious superior intellect and applicable engineering insight ......

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Well forgive me for making such a silly-assed suggestion about something I thought some may find useful, I'm quite sure it is due to my woeful ignorance and total lack of practical application. I do apologize for not having your obvious superior intellect and applicable engineering insight ......
    That is not, in the slightest, what I meant. Just relaying an experience.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Quote Originally Posted by jamesinca View Post
    that is not, in the slightest, what i meant. Just relaying an experience.

LOL!

Picked up a couple at REI about 2 years ago. Handiest things. Found that if you hook one (18" size) onto the brake pedal for a small block Guzzi, you can bleed the rear brake by your self. :-)
    Too damn many bikes to list

I tie stuff up with boot laces...........but then my boots fall off and I buss my noggin
    Tim2

Ed Kilner #176066

Inexpensive at Dollar Store

Knockoffs are cheap at those handy "dollar store" places, at least near me. I keep looking at them ...

At Home Depot, I bought some straps that are sort of Velcro strips. You can lock your brake lever, if you feel the need, or many other items can be wrapped.

Also, there are reusable plastic cable ties available. You can fasten power cords for a GPS or other accessory on a temporary basis with these.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

I find them great for securing temp wire runs for gps power. They hold and I can install and remove as needed. I keep a few twisted on the frame where I use them.