Thread: New Rider/Member: One month on the road

Hybrid View

jason.c.dodge

New Rider/Member: One month on the road

Hey,

I recently got back from a 32 day trip from Virginia to Oregon via mid US and then back home via northern US. I was and am still a new rider having aced the rider safety course at the end of June, 2013 and put on only 1,000 miles from July to mid-August before setting out.

The trip totaled to just over 8,000 miles with no major mishaps, visiting with family/friends and AMAZING sites around the US. It's documented at the link below (I've still 3 more posts to complete the story from South Dakota to home).

I was initially inspired by the book Ghost Rider back in 2008 when I first read it and it's a bug that's always stayed with me. I was further inspired and reached my tipping point earlier this year when I read about Simon and Lisa Thomas at www.2ridetheworld.com and their statement about dreams and consequences.

I rode a 1996 BMW R1100RT I picked up off a fellow moving out of the area who wasn't taking long trips anymore. It's funny to compare my comfort level from mid-June when I got the bike and had a friend drive it home for me to where I'm at now.

Hopefully my experience will inspire people (especially would-be riders) to follow their dreams, respect their riding level always and enjoy the open road!

www.soiride.blogspot.com

Welcome, Jason! That was a pretty ambitious trip as a new rider. I'm glad all went well. Nice intro post! I look forward to hearing about your adventures and how you feel you progress as a rider.

Welcome, and congrats on the ride! I'm still a new rider at 2 years and 24,000 miles ... haven't gotten to anything that ambitious yet. Next summer, though.

I just looked through a bit of your blog, and noticed you got AAA roadside assistance after a towing distance problem. When I last looked, our California AAA's motorcycle roadside assistance coverage was pretty sketchy -- it was only with the "premium" membership, and only "if available." BMWMOA's coverage has less weasel-words, and they did come through for me with a 50-mile tow out of our local mountains one night. Just - buyer beware!
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

No longer a member here
    Nice, Jason! Maybe you could add your age..??

Fantastic. Glad to have you here and look forward to reading more of your ride reports.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Smile Welcome!

Jason, welcome to the fold! Glad you had a great long distance ride. There are lots of places to see in this great land...and always better on two wheels.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)