Thread: Navajo Reservation Roads

Navajo Reservation Roads

In the Navajo Indian Reservation there are roads named BIA-18, BIA-594 etc.
    Are these paved, dirt or gravel? How are they to ride on?
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

BobFV1
    Many of the BIA roads are not paved. I have even had my 2610 take me to dirt roadheads when I selected "major" roads only while traveling in riural NM and AZ. Find a comprehensive resource tif you can, but don't assume all roads are paved.

dlearl476
    >How are they to ride on?

Lots of fun, but be aware that some are by invitation only, like fishing on private land. ASK first.

>I have even had my 2610 take me to dirt roadheads when I selected "major" roads only while traveling in riural NM and AZ.

If it's the "only" road, doesn't that make it a "major" road? I'm sure it does for the people who live there.

BobFV1
    Quote Originally Posted by dlearl
    If it's the "only" road, doesn't that make it a "major" road? I'm sure it does for the people who live there.
    Darn Dlearl - I guess I need to learn to speak "computer!" Thanks for the insight. You are probably right - if it's the only road within 20 miles, that's where one will end up. You can tell I'm a city boy.

You need the Navajo map

Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla
    In the Navajo Indian Reservation there are roads named BIA-18, BIA-594 etc.
    Are these paved, dirt or gravel? How are they to ride on?
    Stephen - I found that a number of the roads in the Navajo Indian reservation were not on the Rand McNally-style maps... or on my GPS. (Garmin V with Mapsource Roads and Recreation).

When riding through the area, it's advised that you stop and buy a Navajo Nation road map.

Even with the Navajo map, the roads can be confusing.... and poorly marked. Many times I found myself riding up a canyon to find some folks' house... sometimes with a mean dog or dogs.... and having to scramble a u-turn and gtf-outta there!

Pay close attention to your surroundings. If you notice the walls of a canyon starting to rise on both sides of the road, it is highly likely you're heading up a dead-end road.

Also, on one recent traverse north of the monuments, I started out east on a beautiful, wide, hard-packed dirt road and wound up riding the wall of a canyon on a fully-loaded GS, with long stretches of deep sand and rocks... and steep switchbacks, just to reach the US Hwy that I could see on my GPS what appeared to be just a half mile ahead. That can be quite stressful when you're out there alone.

Many of the roads are dirt and hard-packed... easy to ride on any bike. But, as in my description above, you may find yourself backtracking if you don't want a serious dual-sport ride.

The best thing to do, as suggested above, is stop and ask someone.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Smile bumpy

You'll have a good time on the reservations. They are sad places,the roads are often terrible(fun on a R1200 I'm sure).
    Make friends quiclky,buy drinks.

oak ya te hey= How ya doin (greeting) Navajo.
    oak ya te hey she qus= I'm fine and good,(something like that) Navajo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome
    Make friends quiclky,buy drinks.
    I read that alcohol and drugs are not allowed on the reservation. Do I buy a round of Shirley Temples?
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

I never had a problem having a drink on a reservation.

Put up a "no fishing" sign and what happens?