Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clattering Noise from Engine

Clattering Noise from Engine

Within the past couple of weeks my C650 GT (8,100 miles) has developed what can best be described as a "clattering" when turning at around 2500 RPM. I can replicate it without moving (i.e., on the center stand and the rear wheel braked) so it's something engine-related. I just rode around my neighborhood at 10-15 MPH and it heard it nearly the entire time. It sounds like it's coming from the right front (about where my right foot goes). It does it whether hot or cold and ceases at idle. I can't tell if it happens >3000 RPM because of the engine noise.

I dropped by the dealer yesterday and they heard it too and recommended I drop it off next week. I know it's under warranty but I'm wondering if anybody has any thoughts as to what it could be and if it's OK to ride? I was planning a 300-mile trip this weekend but really don't feel like being stranded.

I saw the earlier thread about a chain tensioner but the noise is coming from the front. The dealer suggested timing chain but that was pure speculation.

Thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated!

My dealer said that was the the CVT rollers.

Had what sounds like the same issue. Took it to the dealer for repair the mechanic said the rollers were not moving freely and there was dirt and grime clogging up the works. He took them out cleaned and regressed them. Still get some noise but not as bad. I will have it checked again at 12,000 mile service.

Quote Originally Posted by REDC650GT View Post
    Had what sounds like the same issue. Took it to the dealer for repair the mechanic said the rollers were not moving freely and there was dirt and grime clogging up the works. He took them out cleaned and regressed them. Still get some noise but not as bad. I will have it checked again at 12,000 mile service.

Interesting, that makes me feel better if that's really it since it means nothing's going to explode

Where are the rollers on this thing? I've seen a partial line drawing of the transmission and still don't completely understand it. I'm too used to the CVT implementation on Vespas/Piaggios.

READ THIS: http://bmwmaxiscooter.forumfree.it/?t=66784854 it the same thing that was happing to my scooter and now I have a cracked piston. It the timing chain tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by flatpic View Post
    READ THIS: http://bmwmaxiscooter.forumfree.it/?t=66784854 it the same thing that was happing to my scooter and now I have a cracked piston. It the timing chain tensioner
    Thank you! I already have an appointment for Tuesday morning and won't be riding it until then. I'll status y'all with what they find. The dealer did look for current bulletins but didn't see one for the timing chain tensioner. If that's my problem as well, BMW might want to get on it lest they'll be replacing a bunch of engines.

Well, here's update #1 from the dealer.

They drained the oil and found copper shavings that they speculate are coming from the crankshaft bearings. They're "running some tests" (whatever the heck that means) and hope to have more info tomorrow after talking with BMW. It could still be timing chain/pulley/tensioner related if there's copper in that area and if it's part of the oil lubrication system, but if not, looks like I'm waiting for a new engine.

I just had the 10k KM service in early July and the technician didn't make note of anything odd in the oil. More to follow...
    Last edited by davidh70; 09-25-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh70 View Post
    Well, here's update #1 from the dealer.

They drained the oil and found copper shavings that they speculate are coming from the crankshaft bearings. They're "running some tests" (whatever the heck that means) and hope to have more info tomorrow after talking with BMW. It could still be timing chain/pulley/tensioner related if there's copper in that area and if it's part of the oil lubrication system, but if not, looks like I'm waiting for a new engine.

I just had the 10k KM service in early July and the technician didn't make note of anything odd in the oil. More to follow...
    Keep us posted David, I am now on week 6 waiting for parts from " Mother bmw" . I called bmw's 1-800 customer service and they basically told "oh well" we are having a hold-up on parts shipped out so you'll just have to wait, ok I read between the lines. They also said they will note that I called

Im thinking it will be 8 weeks befor I get the scooter back.

Quote Originally Posted by flatpic View Post
    Keep us posted David, I am now on week 6 waiting for parts from " Mother bmw" . I called bmw's 1-800 customer service and they basically told "oh well" we are having a hold-up on parts shipped out so you'll just have to wait, ok I read between the lines. They also said they will note that I called

Im thinking it will be 8 weeks befor I get the scooter back.
    Waiting for parts is a crapshoot - I've been waiting for the drop protectors for 11 months now!

[QUOTE=jiminsf;900021 I've been waiting for the drop protectors for 11 months now![/QUOTE]

At least you're riding your scooter, just don't drop it.

Well here's the update. Apparently there's something within the transmission that was rubbing a bearing creating both the noise and creating the copper shavings. BMW thinks it may have been due to improper manufacturing but isn't sure. The problem is that the particular bearing can't be replaced so there's a new engine in my future :-( The good news is that there are two in North America so there's a chance I'll have it back at the end of this week.

The dealer said I may be responsible for the 600 mile break-in service but BMW might give me a break on that. How generous of them...

More to follow!

Well here's the update. Apparently there's something within the transmission that was rubbing a bearing creating both the noise and creating the copper shavings. BMW thinks it may have been due to improper manufacturing but isn't sure. The problem is that the particular bearing can't be replaced so there's a new engine in my future :-( The good news is that there are two in North America so there's a chance I'll have it back at the end of this week.

The dealer said I may be responsible for the 600 mile break-in service but BMW might give me a break on that. How generous of them...

More to follow!
    They want you to pay for a 600 mile service on a engine they replace under warranty?????

Can they not understand negative PR?????

Seriously, you wouldn't have to have that service except for the fact that their engine was DEFECTIVE!

There are days where I can not understand what it is about BMW that they just can not understand good will towards customers who forked out premium $ for their product.

I was going to test ride one one Wednesday at Gateway in St. Louis as I was going to be there to pick up a part I ordered. Not going to bother now. Why buy a new bike that has a history of having problems and poor customer service????
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    They want you to pay for a 600 mile service on a engine they replace under warranty?????

Can they not understand negative PR?????

Seriously, you wouldn't have to have that service except for the fact that their engine was DEFECTIVE!

There are days where I can not understand what it is about BMW that they just can not understand good will towards customers who forked out premium $ for their product.

I was going to test ride one one Wednesday at Gateway in St. Louis as I was going to be there to pick up a part I ordered. Not going to bother now. Why buy a new bike that has a history of having problems and poor customer service????
    To be fair, I haven't been explicitly told I'm responsible for the 600 mile service; the dealer mentioned in but didn't say yes or no either way.

At this point, I definitely don't regret buying the bike. It's an awesome machine and look forward to having it back! If I were you, I'd still test ride one.

More to follow!
    Davidh70
    Where are you located, no way my dealer in long beach would do that
    Find a new dealer

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Davidh70
    Where are you located, no way my dealer in long beach would do that
    Find a new dealer
    Sacramento area. No worries, I'll definitely be giving them some serious pushback if they make me pay for the 600 mile service!!! I just want the bike back and deal with the rest later. I was without my other scoot for 7 weeks in September-October 2012 (pre-BMW) for some engine work so I'm guessing this just isn't a good time of the year for me.

To be fair, I haven't been explicitly told I'm responsible for the 600 mile service; the dealer mentioned in but didn't say yes or no either way.

At this point, I definitely don't regret buying the bike. It's an awesome machine and look forward to having it back! If I were you, I'd still test ride one.
    I'm not suggesting that it isn't an awesome machine. I was impressed just sitting on it at the dealers. Leg position was great, handle bar reach was perfect for me, loved the electric adjustable windshield, I could flat foot it in spite of the floor boards splaying my legs outward, the seat back fit the small of my back etc. That's why I was considering a test ride. I hope you are on the road in a short period of time, continue to enjoy the ride, and give us feedback on how it is going for you.

I'm saying that with the various reported bikes with engine problems, and long waits to get parts, I'm not wanting to be the one sitting w/o a bike for weeks while parts are available.

In a couple of years the bugs will be sorted out and perhaps that would be a good time to consider one.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.