Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My R1150RT Maintenance Schedule

My R1150RT Maintenance Schedule

This might be overkill to some but it does ensure a very clean engine and systems.

1. Oil and Filter Change - Amsoil Dominator Racing 15W50, KN-163 filter, every 2,500 miles. Every other oil change gets a qt of oil replaced with a qt of Marvel Mystery Oil.

2. Transmission Service - Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140, every 3,000 miles

3. Final Drive Service - Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140, every 2,500 miles

4. Brake and Clutch Fluid Service - SpeedBleeders front and rear, drain and flush, Amsoil Series 600 Synthetic DOT 4, every 5,000 miles or annually, whichever comes first

Sent from my iPhone

No longer a member here
    You're an Amsoil distributor?? One quart of Marvel Mystery??? Isn't hat a lot?

No, not a distributor, just a dealer. The amount of Marvel I use is actually 20%, or roughly 26oz. The balance is 15W50. Even if the Marvel was a zero weight oil, the viscosity is only thinned out from 15W50 to 12W40.

Sent from my iPhone

While changing the bikes bodily fluids as often as you do may keep the internals clean, I feel that it is a bit excessive. That being said......driving conditions will warrant how often you feel the need for these fluids to be changed.
    I for one would not be changing the fluids while on a long trip......and I'm talking up to 10k miles or so.......although that will not be the case when I head to fairbanks in the near future.
    I'll change engine and final drive oil every 4-5K and the tranny fluid approx every 10-12K........to each is own I suppose.
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

There is a phrase about killing something or someone with kindness...
    The amount of mystery oil in the engine and the 140 gear oil in the rear end is not something I would do.
    Is all of that in your owners manual?

One of the most destructive things to happen to an engine is the restart after an oil change.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwmotorwerkz View Post
    This might be overkill to some but it does ensure a very clean engine and systems.

1. Oil and Filter Change - Amsoil Dominator Racing 15W50, KN-163 filter, every 2,500 miles. Every other oil change gets a qt of oil replaced with a qt of Marvel Mystery Oil.

4. Brake and Clutch Fluid Service - SpeedBleeders front and rear, drain and flush, Amsoil Series 600 Synthetic DOT 4, every 5,000 miles or annually, whichever comes first

Sent from my iPhone
    Sorry but this looks like a colossal waste of money and resources. I don't own an 1150 but I'm wondering... other than the brake fluid are any of these products BMW recommended items for your bike?
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Now I'm confused............

Didn't you post this on another thread?:

Final Drive decided to eat itself

A bit disappointed with having to rebuild my final drive about a month ago. Mileage, 39,700. The only symptoms were a slight oil leak and metal shavings in the gear oil. Turns out the crown bearing decided to start coming apart. Replaced the crown and tapered bearings, oil seal and o-ring. I decided to let my local BMW dealer do the work on this one. Total cost, $550. Of course, Labor was most of the cost.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "Life isn't about how fast or how high, it's about how well you bounce."

Sent from my iPhone
    IMHO you are wasting money and valuable world resources.
    My GS has 252,000 km on it and I don't change fluids even close to your intervals.

BUT item 3 should be 80w90 GL5 as per BMW spec.
    You can use 75w90 synthetic but 75w140 will cause FD issues, I have read about it in the past and am willing to bet it contributed to your recent failure.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Pas, get smart on Marvel Mystery Oil. It does what it is designed to do and a lot of folks who have decades worth of experience use it regularly. I've been riding and wrenching on bike's and cars for 40 years, and have never experienced an oil related failure.

As far as 75W140 goes, yes, my local BMW dealer recommends it although it isn't called out in any BMW manual. With 140 my tranny shifts effortlessly and without any clunk. how about yours? Ever seen how thin a 75W140 gear oil is when it's drained from a FD after a long day's ride in 90 degree weather? I have. Ever checked the temp of the oil when it drains out? I have. Ever done an oil analysis on FD gear oil? I have. Ever seen the guts of a neglected FD? I have? Extra protection never hurts.

Are you one of those who believes and trusts everything BMW Corporate says? Do you only use BMW oil products? Do you consider the time of year and air temps you're riding in and change your oil to meet the engine's viscosity requirements or do you run the same viscosity oil year round regardless of the temp? BMW and other OEM shop manuals are nothing but a good start at best and a lot of folks have figured out how to do some things better by not strictly following the manual.

I don't understand why anyone would criticize what are clearly excellent maintenance practices. As far as wasting resources, I'm a consumer and I consume and will continue to. My purchases help ensure someone at Amsoil keeps their job.

Sent from my iPhone

GSAddict - I bought my RT with 36,200 miles on it and the FD gave out at 37,000+. It was already ruined by the last owner. When I first drained the final drive it came out like melted licorice. That's abuse and non-maintenance. Using 75W140 Severe Gear had nothing to do with it. I'd like to know what your basis is for claiming the use of heavy gear oil has caused problems. Lets see the stories and the evidence. As stated before, I've used Amsoil in all of my dozens of motorcycles and always used a heavier gear oil. No issues in 40 years. You were saying?

Sent from my iPhone

GSAddict - I bought my RT with 36,200 miles on it and the FD gave out at 37,000+. It was already ruined by the last owner. When I first drained the final drive it came out like melted licorice. That's abuse and non-maintenance. Using 75W140 Severe Gear had nothing to do with it. I'd like to know what your basis is for claiming the use of heavy gear oil has caused problems. Lets see the stories and the evidence. As stated before, I've used Amsoil in all of my dozens of motorcycles and always used a heavier gear oil. No issues in 40 years. You were saying?

Sent from my iPhone
    So 800+ miles makes you an expert on Oilheads?
    I have rebuilt & repaired both Oilhead and Hexhead fd's. I use Amsoil products including The GL5 75w90 almost exclusively.
    Heavier oil increases the operating temp. My FD is warm to the touch after a 90 degree ride.
    Lots written about 75w140 on Adv riders.
    I have discussed this issue with our local dealer and they did not recommend it either.
    But go ahead, you have done the research and know better than BMW and the rest of this forum.
    Ride safe.
    Last edited by GSAddict; 09-18-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Pas, get smart on Marvel Mystery Oil. It does what it is designed to do and a lot of folks who have decades worth of experience use it regularly. I've been riding and wrenching on bike's and cars for 40 years, and have never experienced an oil related failure. I fully expect that the exact same thing can be said for everyone who has followed BMW's recommendations that are 2x your's.

As far as 75W140 goes, yes, my local BMW dealer recommends it although it isn't called out in any BMW manual. With 140 my tranny shifts effortlessly and without any clunk. how about yours? at 101,000, mine shifts like buttah. running 80W90, thank you.Ever seen how thin a 75W140 gear oil is when it's drained from a FD after a long day's ride in 90 degree weather? I have. Ever checked the temp of the oil when it drains out? I have. Ever done an oil analysis on FD gear oil? I have. Ever seen the guts of a neglected FD? I have? Extra protection never hurts.

Are you one of those who believes and trusts everything BMW Corporate says? Do you only use BMW oil products? Do you consider the time of year and air temps you're riding in and change your oil to meet the engine's viscosity requirements or do you run the same viscosity oil year round regardless of the temp? BMW and other OEM shop manuals are nothing but a good start at best and a lot of folks have figured out how to do some things better by not strictly following the manual.

I don't understand why anyone would criticize what are clearly excellent maintenance practices. As far as wasting resources, I'm a consumer and I consume and will continue to. My purchases help ensure someone at Amsoil keeps their job.
    Sent from my iPhone
    that has got to be just about the most environmentally selfish statement I have read from anyone who does not own an oil company. and all to no real benefit. quadruple your mileage change, and have your oil tested by a reputable lab, like Blackstone. if the results are consistent with what others have reported, you'd find that your oil is still in very good shape, doing it's job as intended.
    what a total waste.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Pas, get smart on Marvel Mystery Oil. It does what it is designed to do and a lot of folks who have decades worth of experience use it regularly. I've been riding and wrenching on bike's and cars for 40 years, and have never experienced an oil related failure. UMMM... Get smart on Mystery oil? Well sir I'm closing in on 65 years of fun and have been an aircraft owner and wrenched on motorcycles cars and airplanes for most of my adult life and never used The mystery oil nor have I ever had an oil related failure! Your point is?

As far as 75W140 goes, yes, my local BMW dealer recommends it although it isn't called out in any BMW manual. With 140 my tranny shifts effortlessly and without any clunk. how about yours? Mine shifts fine as does my 81 R100RT with over 165K on it and it never has had any gear oil higher then 90W in the trans or the rear drive! Ever seen how thin a 75W140 gear oil is when it's drained from a FD after a long day's ride in 90 degree weather? I have. Have you ever measured the temp of the final drive when its freezing out to see how cold it is? Ever checked the temp of the oil when it drains out? I have. Ever done an oil analysis on FD gear oil? I have. Ever seen the guts of a neglected FD? I have? Extra protection never hurts. Have you ever read the report from Getrag (designed and built the transmission) to see what they want you to use in the transmission? I have!

Are you one of those who believes and trusts everything BMW Corporate says? Do you only use BMW oil products? Never have. Do you consider the time of year and air temps you're riding in and change your oil to meet the engine's viscosity requirements or do you run the same viscosity oil year round regardless of the temp? I dont ride the winter roads in NE OHIO BMW and other OEM shop manuals are nothing but a good start at best and a lot of folks have figured out how to do some things better by not strictly following the manual.

I don't understand why anyone would criticize what are clearly excellent maintenance practices. That is your opinion, as it should be. As far as wasting resources, I'm a consumer and I consume and will continue to. My purchases help ensure someone at Amsoil keeps their job.

Sent from my iPhone
    You threw all of this info out to the forum and now your upset with the replies, Calm down there fella! I just checked the other posting you made about your final drive failure at 39K! Kind of shoots down some of this doesnt it. You should invest in a "Final Drive Minder" to monitor the situation.
    Ride safe!
    Last edited by PAS; 09-18-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Your change intervals are bananas, but otherwise...

Why a racing oil instead of MCV motorcycle oil?
    Is Marvel Mystery Oil needed because racing oils contain insufficient detergency?
    Why manage two different but very close change intervals for transmission and final drive?
    Why trust a dealer vs. a manufacturer for oil specifications (75W140 gear oil weight)?
    Why change out clean oil filters (within limits, dirty ones filter better)?

I am an Amsoil user, but the cheapest Wal*Mart lubes you could find will do equally well at these change intervals.

2004 1150RT. Oil and filter every 4000 miles with Castrol 20/50. Transmission and final drive oil change when ever I do a tire change which can be anywhere from 7000 to 10,000 miles. I use whatever 80/90 GL5 that is available in the store I am shopping in. I do add a bit of Techron to the fuel tank several times a year. I change the brake/clutch fluids every two years, air filter, valve adjust, and throttle bodies every winter. Last winter I did the internal fuel lines, new quick disconnects, stainless brake lines, and a new starter. I may be doing everything wrong BUT the bike has 70,000 miles and the only thing to fail me has been the stick coils. I rode over to Re-Psycle BMW (about 45 miles away) and bought used ones which are still working great. I ride it hard, most of the time two up and loaded like a pack mule.