Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Change Rally to September timeframe

Need More Riding Time Kneedragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_In_Lima
    ...... but I wonder how a fall date would affect attendance?
    I know that it would increase it by at least 2.......

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
    We're not all retired, many of us need to put the kid in summer camp to even consider a rally. Something during the school year would not be good.
    That's right we aren't all retired and I'm far from it! I also have two kids, one in high school and one in elementary school, and during the school year is far easier to schedule coming to the rally. I'm not bringing them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Callmethebreeze

When does the RA have their Rally? October? This year in TN? Hmmmm......are we on to something?
    Adios
    The RA Rally is usually from late Aug to Early Oct. That is why it's first on my list. But that can be a problem in the Hurricane area. The July time frame the MOA uses is bad for me and I only go when it's a MUST SEE location. It's not possible for me to do both.

USERNAME
    i'll bet $100 that no matter when the rally is held, 10% of the membership will complain about it and want a change.

same goes for where.

personally i dont have a preference. but i can see that one of the benefits of having it in july is that the days are long. people get more time on the roads in daylight. local rides around the rally can start earlier and end later for people that like riding in full light.

too hot behind your giant fairing and windscreen? errrr, so we should move the rally time, or should you get a smaller windscreen, pour some water down your shirt, or consider a nekkid bike?

is this a question that could be included in the ON member surveys and be used to take the pulse of the club, or at least the 7% of members who bother to send the survey back?

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    Quote Originally Posted by username

too hot behind your giant fairing and windscreen? errrr, so we should move the rally time, or should you get a smaller windscreen, pour some water down your shirt, or consider a nekkid bike?
    Geez "username", I didn't know that the small windscreen on my GS was considered a "giant fairing and windscreen"! God, get a life.

Rob L
    I like it hot! The days are longer and you can ride early in the morning or later in the evening. Save the midday hours for a pool or napping. OK , so I'm lazy, I still get my share of miles in and I lOVE the summer weather.
    Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive!
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by n1hnr94
    If you are concerned about September and kids...they are called baby sitters. It is only a weekend for God sakes.
    But not necessarily a weekend ride...
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by GS Cooke Mnster
    Geez "username", I didn't know that the small windscreen on my GS was considered a "giant fairing and windscreen"! God, get a life.
    i suggest you read post 9 to better understand the seed that was planted and bloomed as my comments. i was not referring to you.

copernicus died for the heliocentric model - that means the world does not revolve around you.

apology accepted.

GSCOOKEMNSTER
    apology accepted.
    None was offered, nor will any be forthcoming, since there is no reason for one

i'll bet $100 that no matter when the rally is held, 10% of the membership will complain about it and want a change.
    I can live with 10%.

And I would love to see a May, June or Sept rally. I don't have one of those "nekkid" bikes, nor will I.

In either event, if I can get the time off, I will go, heat or no heat. Unfortunately it won't work out for me this year.

gadgetboy
    Keep it in the summer.. there's the RA rally in sept or oct.. vote with your feet, and go to the RA rally. But please MOA execs, don't change it from July!

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by GS Cooke Mnster
    None was offered, nor will any be forthcoming, since there is no reason for one
    too late, i accepted one from you. youre hosed. you cant take it back.

and the only reason i could think of that you might consider one was snapping at me and acting as if i were discussing your bike, which even someone like you, the kind of guy who tries to retract a well-deserved and graciously accepted apology, can understand.

ride well, ride safe.

any time other than end of June, July and begining of August risks wet weather. i would suggest that a rainy forecast would keep more folks away than heat. Ican't tell you how many trips i've taken in April/May or Sept/Oct that involved rain.............keep it a summer event, there are plenty of other rallies the rest of the year.....
    RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

cmartin

Just too HOT

July is just too hot for Texas riding. Regardless of where the rally is, I still have to get out of Texas to attend.
    I would vote to move the rally Date to Sept or May. Or maybe a floating date announced a year or two in advance so people can schedule their time off.
    If Sept or May, we could have another MOA rally in Texas, and this time some one would come.

It will be the RA for me, even in the wet.
    Last edited by cbmw1150; 07-22-2005 at 03:52 PM.

All of the people, all of the time...

...are not going to be happy. But since many others are weighing in, I will as well.

I have kids, 4 of them. 2 older, now adults, and 2 younger, 1 in high school, 1 still in middle school. My choice is to be very involved with my kids by coaching their summer sports, supporting them in summer activities by hauling them to camps, and being there in the off hours. That said, the July date for the rally couldn't be a worse week/weekend for me. That's when we have ball tournaments, that's when we're in the middle of summer camps, etc. The weather, yeah, I'd rather NOT ride in high temps, but could do it, if not for my other commitments.

That said, a September date would be wonderful for me personally. My oldest daughter could run the house in my absence, but chances are my wife wouldn't accompany me anyway, so "kid care" is a moot point for me. Days would be shorter, but temps would be cooler, riding more pleasurable.

Lima, Ohio, is a fairly long, 1 day ride for me, or 2 very doable short days. This, right in the middle of one of my busiest weeks/weekends of the summer. It's my personal choice to do what I do, so I'm definitely not whining about the date. I've made my choices, and a September date would suit me personally much better.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia