Thread: 1982 r100cs

1982 r100cs

Have seen some posts here and there about the rarity of the R100CS. I just purchased a 1982 R100CS, S/N 6188165, and was wondering if anyone has any info to share? I was told a marine purchased this bike new while stationed in Germany and shipped it back after deployment, however it does have a US speedo. It also has a factory kickstart which I have heard was not available here. I also have the original paperwork from the purchase at Zweirad Herzog.

Enter last 7 digits of VIN at http://www.realoem.com to find month/year of production and whether it's a Euro or USA version. It wouldn't have been difficult to purchase a USA version in Germany.

Easiest way to tell would be absence of the air injestion system. There would be NO holes for this (not plugged holes). Not in heads, not in airbox, and engine top cover wouldn't have the notch for the crossover vacuum lines. Euro version would have 9.5 compression, not 8.2.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    . It wouldn't have been difficult to purchase a USA version in Germany.

Not really. U.S. service personnel usually had access to U.S. spec vehicles while stationed in Germany in order to ease federalization with EPA and/or DOT upon return to the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Not really. U.S. service personnel usually had access to U.S. spec vehicles while stationed in Germany in order to ease federalization with EPA and/or DOT upon return to the U.S.
    Isn't that what Kent said?? Did I miss something?
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris

"It wouldn't have been difficult to purchase a USA version in Germany."

Mike replied:

"Not really. U.S. service personnel usually had access to U.S. spec vehicles while stationed in Germany in order to ease federalization with EPA and/or DOT upon return to the U.S."

Kurt asks:

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Isn't that what Kent said?? Did I miss something?
    JimmyLee observes:

Kurt! Mike has a problem following threads!!

My current R1150R was bought in Germany, by an American military member. He brought it home with him when discharged ,.then the wife became pregnant with child number three, and he decided the motorcycle no longer fit in the family...that's when I bought it.

Thanks guys. Since last night I have found that it is a US Version purchased in Germany. According to BMbikes it appears to be 1 of 3 made for that model year. Still uncertain on the kickstarter. Cant find if that was factory or dealer added. Anyone know of other CS's with that option?

Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Not sure about US models but the Canadian airheads up to the 1984 model year had the kicker as an optional extra and dealers could order bikes with the kicker or not. My info is not readily accessible but I think it was about a $90. option.
    "Fools that we are, we have gone to war with nature. If we win, we die.". Silver Donald Cameron

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris

"It wouldn't have been difficult to purchase a USA version in Germany."

Mike replied:

"Not really. U.S. service personnel usually had access to U.S. spec vehicles while stationed in Germany in order to ease federalization with EPA and/or DOT upon return to the U.S."

Kurt asks:

JimmyLee observes:

Kurt! Mike has a problem following threads!!
    No, I can follow threads. As long as I wear my glasses!!! Kent said "it wouldn't have been difficult". I read this wrong. Sorry, Kent!

Quote Originally Posted by 81twins View Post
    Not sure about US models but the Canadian airheads up to the 1984 model year had the kicker as an optional extra and dealers could order bikes with the kicker or not. My info is not readily accessible but I think it was about a $90. option.
    I and a friend both had 84 CS's mine did not have the kicker, his did. I wish I had not traded that bike. He still has his, and it is the only British Racing Green ? with gold pinstripes I have ever seen.

No, I can follow threads. As long as I wear my glasses!!! Kent said "it wouldn't have been difficult". I read this wrong. Sorry, Kent!
    I guess we all need to type more slowly and use bigger print sytles!!

Your trusted friend, JimmyLee!!!

No longer a member here
    Good one, Jim!

Good one, Jim!
    Wha'd you say? Print was so small, I couldn't hear you!!