Thread: Bending Armor

Bending Armor

I have two different styles of BMW Jackets with the flexible armor. If I were to fold the jacket up, so that it fit into the cases, would that compromise the armor - the back protector in particular, as it would have to fold in half? Thanks.

Depends on the armor and I don't know what BMW uses. I have folded, spindled, and almost mutilated my Aerostich Roadcrafter and Darian on numerous occasions and it does the CE approved armor no harm.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

FYI. Aerostitch TF2 armor is not CE approved. That said, it certainly does the job. My wife and we're hit by a cage that faked left, went right last weekend and the armor did it's job.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Depends on the armor and I don't know what BMW uses. I have folded, spindled, and almost mutilated my Aerostich Roadcrafter and Darian on numerous occasions and it does the CE approved armor no harm.

While I cannot answer the question, I'll throw in that in removing my "armor" when I washed my gear on those rare occasions, I always wonder "how does this flimsy stuff protect me"? As a FB player the pads always seemed substantial & up to the job but a little piece of "foam" against a paved hwy. & my body? FWIW, I always find the clothing folds w/o trying to bend the foam/armor.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I bend my Rallye 3 jacket and pants all the time to pack them. Does not appear to damage the padding.
    Tim2

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    I do this a lot as well. However when the weather is cold around this time of year (below freezing) putting a frozen jacket on with bent armor can be very uncomfortable and take quite a while to form to ones body. Sometimes unavoidable though if I am visiting a customer site and don't want to show up with stinky riding gear in tow. My gear is normally hung in in the garage over night so at this time of the year I am very careful to NOT bend the armor when hanging it up after each ride since it is now at or below freezing for my daily commute each morning.
    Last edited by bogthebasher; 09-28-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Typo
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    ...it is now at or below freezing for my daily commute each morning.
    We've had some frosty nights this week.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    We've had some frosty nights this week.
    Here, too. It's been down into the 60's at night. Brrr.....
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558