Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: America's Cup

For those of you with an interest in sailing, this is a friend of mines site- http://stephenlirakis.com/ for current info and pictures of The America's Cup and for sailing and pictures of the world you can try http://www.stephenlirakisphotography.net/
    Stephen is a world class sailor and has America's Cup, Trans-Atlantic, Fastnet, Block Island, Bermuda and countless other races under his belt. He has raced with all the big names during his career and his harness shop allowed a number of things now done in the sailing world- to be done.
    He is a natural at photography as he can add perspective to a white room.
    Enjoy, Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

3 Red Bricks
    This Cup has had a bit of everything. And now---Rain!

Not that bad for the sailors, but for the tens of thousands watching from shore, it's not as nice as the 70 degree temps that have preceded this.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    And now wind direction....

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

na1g
    I'm the OP, just for the record. In the beginning I found the racing exciting and the TV coverage excellent (I could do with a bit less graphics). Now I'm rapidly losing interest. Too much wind. Not enough wind. Wind 5 degrees from the wrong direction. It's starting to resemble NASCAR.

It's a sailboat race, fer crying out loud. Just get out there and race the boat!

The kicker for me was Friday's race when the Kiwis had a 2 minute lead but didn't finish in the allotted time, 40 minutes, so the race was abandoned. Why 40 minutes? Good question! That's so they can fit two races in a 2 hour TV schedule. Good grief.

Pardon me while I go switch to the poker on another sports channel.

pete
    Another day with no plans to use calculus.

They have always had time limits on the races even before TV it's just the boats were so slow (compared to the new ones ) it was a lot longer. The 12's doing 9 to 14 kts just took longer even if the races had been the same distance.
    Knick
    F800GS
    Vespa ET4

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    I'm the OP, just for the record. In the beginning I found the racing exciting and the TV coverage excellent (I could do with a bit less graphics). Now I'm rapidly losing interest. Too much wind. Not enough wind. Wind 5 degrees from the wrong direction. It's starting to resemble NASCAR.

It's a sailboat race, fer crying out loud. Just get out there and race the boat!

The kicker for me was Friday's race when the Kiwis had a 2 minute lead but didn't finish in the allotted time, 40 minutes, so the race was abandoned. Why 40 minutes? Good question! That's so they can fit two races in a 2 hour TV schedule. Good grief.

Pardon me while I go switch to the poker on another sports channel.

pete
    Another day with no plans to use calculus.

Watch today. The winds and tides should provide good racing.

GO ORACLE!!!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I don't see anything scheduled for today on TV??
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post

GO ORACLE!!!

Oracle doesn't need any encouragement- in any of the races
    I was out on this- when we heard what we thought was thunder- on a sunny day.
    It was Oracle's Motor Yacht that IIRC had just set a record for the Bahamas-Newport run. A rather large MY that was really haullin'
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I know I should feel differently........

One day, after an exasperating day of listening to colleagues drone on about wind turbines, I wondered how many passengers you could carry in a sailplane or the number of TEU's that could be mounted on a Clipper ship..........

As I said......I was frustrated. But, I do think they are all pretty and nice to watch.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I don't see anything scheduled for today on TV??
    Probably, because they weren't supposed to still be racing this late in the month, the networks (NBC and NBCSN) have scheduled other programing. Here in California, it will be on COZI (ch 186 on bay area Comcast).

You can watch it on YouTube. I don't know if there is a way to watch it live or if you have to wait for hem to post the entire show after it's over.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    From Americascup.com:

Race 14 is rescheduled to start at 1:15 pm PT and Race 15 at 2:15 pm PT. In the U.S., the America?s Cup Finals will be broadcast live on the NBC Sports Network. Replays will be available on the America?s Cup YouTube channel.

Internationally, the America?s Cup Final can be viewed in more than 170 territories. All racing is also live on America?s Cup YouTube channel (subject to territorial restrictions).

You can also follow racing with America?s Cup App for android and iOS devices.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

My U-verse on-TV grid guide doesn't show any racing...I've been watching it on the NBC sports channel. Guess I'll have to catch it on youtube.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    A rather large MY that was really haullin'..
    Rising Sun, perhaps. It'll do 28 knots. But apparently David Geffen owns it now.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Rising Sun, perhaps. It'll do 28 knots. But apparently David Geffen owns it now.
    I couldn't find a picture of the boat, it was a few years ago and my "all things nautical" (referenced previously) is out of town. I was told it was some sort of jet-drive and the cost to set the record was 40K It was quite a rig with three decks(?) of bubble glass on the front.
    OM
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

3 Red Bricks
    It's on right now on NBCSN.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare