Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: America's Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I couldn't find a picture of the boat, it was a few years ago and my "all things nautical" (referenced previously) is out of town. I was told it was some sort of jet-drive and the cost to set the record was 40K It was quite a rig with three decks(?) of bubble glass on the front.
    OM
    That would be Enigma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_(yacht).

I'd lost track of all his yachts, after Orca and Rising Sun. But Ellison is a fascinating guy; I remember when his Maxi, Sayonara, with Ellison on board, won line honours in the terrible 1998 Sydney to Hobart race.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    That would be Enigma.

I'd lost track of all his yachts, after Orca and Rising Sun. But Ellison is a fascinating guy; I remember when his Maxi, Sayonara, with Ellison on board, won line honours in the terrible 1998 Sydney to Hobart race.
    That's it- you DA Man! Really strange to hear a boat before you saw it. The specs you found explain why! It seems you have an interest in the sport of sailing, I hope you have a chance to check out the links I provided earlier. Again, my previously mentioned Sea Expert, had purchased 2 Oracle "Tank Boats". They were shipped in from CA IIRC and we rigged them onto trailers for ease of use. I think they are currently in CO.
    Most of Stephen's latest voyages have been on the Snow Lion
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    That would be Enigma.

Did you notice the comment on the Wiki site about the tanker for mid-journey refueling. Waterjets are excellent at sucking fuel.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    For those of you with an interest in sailing, this is a friend of mines site- http://stephenlirakis.com/ for current info and pictures of The America's Cup and for sailing and pictures of the world you can try http://www.stephenlirakisphotography.net/
    Stephen is a world class sailor and has America's Cup, Trans-Atlantic, Fastnet, Block Island, Bermuda and countless other races under his belt. He has raced with all the big names during his career and his harness shop allowed a number of things now done in the sailing world- to be done.
    He is a natural at photography as he can add perspective to a white room.
    Enjoy, Gary
    Next time you see him tell him I say hello. I think you will be quite surprised with our connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Nye View Post
    Next time you see him tell him I say hello. I think you will be quite surprised with our connection.
    Yeah Rob, no surprise really. You and I have talked (briefly) about this before. I think he helped out with some pictures for a book on your Grandfather? recently- I kinda lose track. Stephen has got a great eye for taking a pictures and enjoy seeing his shots from around the world.
    I'll be talking to him this week and will pass on the hello.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

3 Red Bricks
    Maybe he can get a shot of Larry Ellison hoisting the "Auld Mug" on Tuesday.

Fingers and toes still firmly crossed.

GO ORACLE!!!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    Well, do you believe? WOW!

I'm heading over there tomorrow to watch the race of the century!

GO ORACLE!!!

Last edited by 98lee; 09-24-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Well, do you believe? WOW!

I'm heading over there tomorrow to watch the race of the century!

DAMN!!!!!

What a come back. Can we get the replays on YOUTUBE yet?
    John.

3 Red Bricks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_q1Tfb7maQ

Make sure you have plenty of and nearby, 'cause you aren't going to want to get up during the races!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

HOLY COW that was Beyond COOL! What a comeback!
    Knick
    F800GS
    Vespa ET4

3 Red Bricks
    On her way into the history books, Oracle blasts down the last run!

history.jpg

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

3 Red Bricks
    In answer to critics claims that the AC72s are too big, too expensive, and not practical, Ellison's design team trotted out this prototype for the next cup; Foiling Woodies!!

history2.JPG

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I was wandering the web yesterday looking for a capsized sailboat to compare to picking up a loaded bike... Neither one is fun

Anyways, found a few videos of Oracle having a major fail back around September last year. I have been sideways a few times, but not an endo in a boat.

These huge tri/cats are so cool in spite of the "old school" 12 meter monohull class competition being lost in the America's Cup. Saw 44 knots in a shot! Times change just like with bikes.

The races back in San Francisco were something else to view...would love to be onboard...just not at this moment!

I can only add one video...this link takes you to a distant shot of the endo capsize at speed

http://youtu.be/drgglIebuQY

this is the team press release

Also saw some Hudson River Ice sailboats on TV the other morning...WOW! One was a '40's restored racer that was the fastest thing around in it's day
    http://hudsonrivericeyachting.blogspot.com/

I'm ready to go SAILING
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    ... I'm ready to go SAILING
    Yes! When we lived in Austin back around 1980 we had a Santana 20 that we kept in a marina on Lake Travis. Actually we were north of Austin (near the 183/620 intersection) so we could come home from work, change clothes, and be on the boat in about 20 mins. Very nice. I think sailing is one of the top three most enjoyable things in life. I hear things are different out there these days, tho. Too bad...
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Quote Originally Posted by markaz View Post
    Yes! When we lived in Austin back around 1980 we had a Santana 20 that we kept in a marina on Lake Travis. Actually we were north of Austin (near the 183/620 intersection) so we could come home from work, change clothes, and be on the boat in about 20 mins. Very nice. I think sailing is one of the top three most enjoyable things in life. I hear things are different out there these days, tho. Too bad...
    late 80's, had a Chrysler22' at Yacht Harbor near Lakeway off 620 as well and about same time to be sails up...Yellin' Helen had a J-boat too before I met her...I remember seeing that name on that boat as it flew past me. The lake is still '40 below average...more river than lake in some places.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait