Thread: Walkie-Talkie's needed. Ideas, please

Question Walkie-Talkie's needed. Ideas, please

My wife has taken quite ill, and can no longer project her voice (ie yell for me or at me). My office is in a different part of the house. I am thinking that a simple pr of hand-helds could do the trick; but I do not want junk either.

I looked at Google hangout, but either her phone or computer has to be fired up for those devices, and that could be problematic.

Thanks,
    Howard
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

I would think that a simple set of walkie talkies from a sporting goods store would work. We've used them and they have very good range. Indoors will be different, but I'm guessing they would work. We had Mid-Land brand radios and they worked well.

There are also baby monitors that are designed for such use, I believe some have two way commo and some have closed circuit TV capability. Good luck during your difficult times and wishing a speedy recovery to your wife.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    FRS radios, I'd go with Motorola. Amazon.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    2 things, When my 100+ YO grandmother lived with us, we gave here a cow bell to ring.

As far as Walkie-talkies, look for a pair of matched Motorola SP-50's, they are heavy duty and what the Cops/Firefighters used for years. They are REAL cheap now as the FCC required narrow band units to be used as of last year, so all the agencies had to get new units, and there is thousands now for sale.

Be aware, they are not FCC complaint, but for infrequent household use should not be an issue, as long as you don't have anyone else using the frequency in close proximity. Besides the FCC doesn't have manpower or $$ to worry about some homeowner.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

The Motorola FRS are very good and are legal as well. They are inexpensive and have multiple settings so you can avoid any interference problems.
    CCC, NRA, OOIDA Life Member
    BMWMOA Member 15945

FRS Radios? You will get tired of swapping batteries every day. Why not just a simple plug in intercom system from Radio Shack or whatever. Simple and effective - press a button to page, no need to talk if she doesn't want. Also, my Panasonic portable phones have an intercom function and charge themselves in their cradle.
    Neal - '09 R1200GS / '81 R65

Quote Originally Posted by rguy View Post
    Also, my Panasonic portable phones have an intercom function and charge themselves in their cradle.
    +1 Our portable phones have the intercom system. Easy to use.
    Larry
    Midnight Blue 2013 BMW R1200RT (purchased 9/24/2013)
    2010 Harley Road Glide (gone after 61,964 miles)
    2001 Harley Electra Glide (gone after 138,048 miles)

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rguy View Post
    FRS Radios? You will get tired of swapping batteries every day. Why not just a simple plug in intercom system from Radio Shack or whatever. Simple and effective - press a button to page, no need to talk if she doesn't want. Also, my Panasonic portable phones have an intercom function and charge themselves in their cradle.
    Many come with charger cradles to eliminate the battery swapping.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

If you go with something that has a battery pack (rechargeable), I can recommend purchasing a unit that will also take AA batteries. All these are made off-shore and it seems the battery pack is the weak link so AA battery as a replacement is an important consideration. They really will last pretty well and I can recommend Energizer (at this time) as a battery of choice. I feel the same way about the batteries in cordless phones.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program