Thread: Ride Route Advice - Lake Superior Loop Around Ontario to Duluth, MN

Hybrid View

Ride Route Advice - Lake Superior Loop Around Ontario to Duluth, MN

I am seeking some advice from riders who have done the loop around Lake Superior from Sault Saint Marie to Duluth, MN. I am considering riding this as a route to get to the rally in Minnesota next year.

How long would this loop take (miles or days riding)?

Thanks
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

I did this route on my R75/5 many years ago, starting in Saginaw, Michigan.

From the Sault Ste. Marie to Duluth is a little over 600 miles of mostly 2 lane roads if my memory serves me right and the roads have not been upgraded much.

While you could do it in one day, an overnight makes it a more pleasant ride. If you want to stop frequently to enjoy the sights, spend two nights.

Dress warm. It can get cold on the north shore in July let alone this time of year.

Grand Marais, Minnesota used to have a free city campground...totally primitive, but the price was right.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

My wife and I just came back from doing that route and the roads are generally pretty darn good. Both highways into Copper Harbor (26 & 41) are recommended! My wife only likes to do 200-250 miles a day as she's a new rider and we spent 3 days with LOTS of sightseeing. If i was on my own, riding my normal pace I'd say 2 days. . .

Quiet One
    I have made that journey, I would take 3 days there are a lot of things to see. I highly recomend the museum at whitefish point and the copper harbour area is beautiful. While in the copper harbour area check out a place called The Jampot, excellent home made pastries and jams.
    Andy
    2013 R1200GSW
    BMWMOA # 155500
    1st John 4: 7,8

Lake Superior Loop

Thanks, Guys, for the feedback!

Now I just have to wait until next July to make it happen.

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Copper Harbor won't work on the route I want to take

I just checked the map and found that Copper Harbor is on the Michigan side of Lake Superior, so I can't go that way for what I want to do.

My intent is to take routes 17 And 61 in Ontario, Canada and loop the top side (North side) of Lake Superior to go from Sault St. Marie to Thunder Bay, Ontario and then on to Duluth, MN.

Sorry, I did not make myself clear in the original post.

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Yeah that's too bad because the trip to the Keeweenaw peninsula would be worth the extra miles. Way more to see and do than going over the top of the lake, I have done it. If you were to go in to Ontario at Sarnia and go up through Manitoulin Island would be better, that's a nice area.
    Make sure you have a passport, yo need that for Canada now (got one then haven't been back since I got it, which I need to correct once I get more vacation time at work).
    There are some nice views going over the top of the lake, mostly near the Soo and the western part, but in between it is mostly dodging logging trucks, but the roads are fine.
    If you are dead set on doing it though, I'd plan on 2 or 3 days just in case I am totally whacked on my assessment and you think it's like heaven with logging trucks, LOL. 2 days anyways.
    Thunder Bay check out the Terry Fox Memorial
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_F...al_and_Lookout

And in the same general area (short side trip) Kakabeka Falls
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakabeka_Falls

IF you get in to Canada at the Soo and need a place to stay, another short side trip (40 miles one way to get there, but going east not west) is a nice German Restaurant and motel in Bruce Mines Ontario, good German food and beer and then you can crash right there:
    http://www.bavarianinnbrucemines.com/
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    I am seeking some advice from riders who have done the loop around Lake Superior from Sault Saint Marie to Duluth, MN. I am considering riding this as a route to get to the rally in Minnesota next year.

How long would this loop take (miles or days riding)?

Thanks
    Copper Harbor, Bayfield, Superior/Duluth, North Shore to Split Rock, hang in Duluth and hit the Aerostich factory.
    Duluth west to Itasca is a sweet ride and you can wiggle your toes in the headwaters. Do some research on the Great River Road from Itasca to St Paul, 35 will bore you.
    The lake region around Itasca is a wonderful area to visit and a A+ ride.
    Take some time to look at a map and check out our state!
    Glad to have you!!

'02 R1150RT

Lake Superior Loop

Zygmund,

Thanks to you and everyone who have made suggestions regarding this trip.

We have decided to cut across Wisconsin from Ironwood, MI and visit the fresh water fishing museum at Hayward, WI on the way to St. Paul, so we won't be going to Duluth. I have purchased many items from Aerostich and enjoy receiving their catalog.

My friends and I are looking forward to another great ride to/from the Rally.

Bill
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

Electric Kaiser
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    Zygmund,

Thanks to you and everyone who have made suggestions regarding this trip.

We have decided to cut across Wisconsin from Ironwood, MI and visit the fresh water fishing museum at Hayward, WI on the way to St. Paul, so we won't be going to Duluth. I have purchased many items from Aerostich and enjoy receiving their catalog.

My friends and I are looking forward to another great ride to/from the Rally.

Bill
    You will love riding through the North Woods from Ironwood.
    Stay on Letter roads preferably double letter such as B / FF I would suggest a stop for a refresh before you get to Hayward at the Garmish Resort in Cable. Its on your way and a great place to stop for lunch or just a pit stop. Its a little bit of the Old World tucked in the North woods.
    http://garmischresort.com/index.php

Its nice talking about riding when the snow if flying outside. Have to plan trailering to AZ this winter.