Thread: "Worn throttlebodies" - 2002 R1150RTP

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar

"Worn throttlebodies" - 2002 R1150RTP

Yesterday I took my 2002 R1150RTP in for her 84,000 mile service.

When I picked up the bike, the mechanic filling in for my regular mechanic provided me with a list of items soon needing attention, including the notation "throttlebodies VERY worn".

I've never heard of throttlebodies "wearing out", and a search of the Oilhead forum for "throttlebodies" and "throttle bodies" produces no relevant results. Do throttlebodies wear out over time/miles?

If the phenomena is real, and your bike had worn throttlebodies, would you insist on new parts, or would you accept used throttlebodies as replacements? New throttlebodies go for $1000 for the pair, while beemerboneyard.com has one pair available for $195 and another pair for $245.

Thoughts?
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Yes they do!

You have a few options....
    Replacing new...
    Replacing with used
    or
    Re building them with a kit from Bing

That is the way I went. Bing will rebuild them for you also, but at a cost.
    Ed

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    http://bingcarburetor.com/flier2.html

Thanks for the response! This is precisely why I use this forum!
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

They do; the bushing on the butterfly shaft wears and allows an air leak which makes it difficult to get them to balance. This guy, Dan Cata, has a rebuild kit or he'll do the rebuild for you. I've never used him, but he has a good rep on the ADV forum. He's in Europe, but that's just shipping.

http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/apps/webstore/
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Nickname: Droid
    Like said, the throttle body itself does not wear out, but the throttle butterfly shaft does, as does the bushings. I rebuilt both original throttle bodies on ym 94 RS at about 150,000 miles. I did the work myself using the Bing TB rebuild kit.

But it does require you balance the TB's after the rebuild and installation. Most often the cause of the TB shaft wear is throttle cables setup with no slack in them at idle.

No need to replace the entire TB. Also, buying used TB's means the replacements may be just as worn as the originals, depending on the miles on the engine.

I bought 2 of Dan Cata's kits. cost jsut a tad more than one kit from Bing. Have yet to install, so no feeback on the kit itself, but he's an easy guy to do business with.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots