Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New member about to take off on a 3 month trip across USA and a bit of Mexico

Make sure you take your MOA annonomous book just in case you need some assistance. Lots of members always willing to give a hand. Enjoy and give us updates. Also, make some copies of your legal docs (passport, visa, license, insurance) and keep them in a separate place.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Welcome, Mike. I assume you are new to the MOA as well as the forum? If so, have you received your Anonymous Book yet? It's worth the packing space!

Definitely take the Anonymous Book. It is the most important thing you can pack. Saved my buns more than once. I would recommend a GPS, if only for finding the nearest gas station. I've coasted in on fumes more than once. I can lend you my old Zumo 550 if you like. I've got the lifetime updates so the maps would be up-to-date.

My uncle did that trip on a '36 Harley back in the day. He had a ball. Then this little war broke out and he got to tour Europe instead.

Mike21

docs

Quote Originally Posted by 22600 View Post
    Make sure you take your MOA annonomous book just in case you need some assistance. Lots of members always willing to give a hand. Enjoy and give us updates. Also, make some copies of your legal docs (passport, visa, license, insurance) and keep them in a separate place.

DW
    Thanks DW, got it covered. In my previous backpacking travels across Latin America and Asia I have found it indispensable to have many copies of all official and important docs, ID, cc's. etc. And of course the MOA anonymous book is my awesome new addition to travel essentials.

Mike21

Anonymous Book

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Welcome, Mike. I assume you are new to the MOA as well as the forum? If so, have you received your Anonymous Book yet? It's worth the packing space!
    Hi Tracy,

Yep, new to MOA and yes I have received my Anonymous Book which was a big reason I decided to join MOA. Many of the comments have reiterated what you've noted...DEFINITELY MUST BRING!

Mike21

Brp

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Well, most of the roads I'd show you aren't on the map, unless you're using a Delorme Gazetteer.

One suggestion, based on you mentioning the BRP and Deal's Gap... Parson's Branch Road, coming out of Cades Cove in the Smoky Mountain National Park.

Note: a fairly large section of the BRP is closed north of Asheville, NC, due to a slide. There's a nice little workaround... with camping along the way.

Both of these roads are unpaved.

Almost every road off the BRP in this area is very nice.
    Great suggestions and thx so much for the BRP closure update. I had read that there are often parts closed for various reasons.

Mike21

Gps

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Definitely take the Anonymous Book. It is the most important thing you can pack. Saved my buns more than once. I would recommend a GPS, if only for finding the nearest gas station. I've coasted in on fumes more than once. I can lend you my old Zumo 550 if you like. I've got the lifetime updates so the maps would be up-to-date.

My uncle did that trip on a '36 Harley back in the day. He had a ball. Then this little war broke out and he got to tour Europe instead.
    Hi Holly..oh yeah I'm definitely taking the Anonymous Book...very valuable I've heard. I think I'll forgo the GPS for this trip. I have no doubt it would be useful but I'll make do without it. It's a long trip and I would be worried that something would happen to it and I couldn't really afford to replace it. Thanks so much for the offer though, very thoughtful.

Mike21

coming to phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPhilD View Post
    If you end up in Phoenix, AZ I'll hook you up with some good grub.
    Hi Phil, I'm in Albuquerque, coming to to Phoenix in a couple of days.

Where in the world is mswieca?

Any chance of an update on your progress?

Are you having fun yet?
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Mike21
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    Where in the world is mswieca?

Any chance of an update on your progress?

Are you having fun yet?
    Sure am. I'm in Phoenix at the moment, staying with Lisa and family. Lisa is part of the Motorcycle Travel Network and MOA too I believe. I thought I had posted in the forum that I was going to be blogging on TravelPod along with the link but perhaps I didn't after all. I'm on there plus f/b, it was too much to also update the MOA forum. Anyway, the below link is for my blog. If you're interested I could also add your email address to my TravelPod address book or become f/b friends (michel swieca) or you could follow me on Twitter (madfortravel). Then you'd know when I post a new entry. http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...at/3/tpod.html
    Cheers,
    Mike

Thanks for the blog link. Very interesting!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.