Thread: Hello from central Ohio

Elwood P Dowd

Hello from central Ohio

Hello from London Ohio, I've been riding for years but I've never owned a BMW before. I started out on a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 from there I went to a 2000 Buell X1 then a 2006 Buell Ulysses, well actually I started out on a Carabela moped but we won't talk about that. Right now I'm rideless but I'm hoping to pick up a father and son project that me and my boy can work on. Every time I break out the wrenches he's right there next to me so I'm kinda hoping to keep that connection going. He's only 4 now so I've got a few more years before I would really be comfortable with him on the back of a bike. If anyone has or knows where a dusty old project bike (preferably a BMW) may be tucked away that could be picked up for cheap let me know. Anyways for now I guess I'll just enjoy everyone's stories and live vicariously through you guys for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P Dowd View Post
    Hello from London Ohio, I've been riding for years but I've never owned a BMW before. I started out on a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 from there I went to a 2000 Buell X1 then a 2006 Buell Ulysses, well actually I started out on a Carabela moped but we won't talk about that. Right now I'm rideless but I'm hoping to pick up a father and son project that me and my boy can work on. Every time I break out the wrenches he's right there next to me so I'm kinda hoping to keep that connection going. He's only 4 now so I've got a few more years before I would really be comfortable with him on the back of a bike. If anyone has or knows where a dusty old project bike (preferably a BMW) may be tucked away that could be picked up for cheap let me know. Anyways for now I guess I'll just enjoy everyone's stories and live vicariously through you guys for the time being.

Describe 'project' ? and 'cheap' ? 2002 BMW K1200LT needs cosmetics , battery, tires,....seat recover [cosmetic]? Probably should have a brake system flush, and pads etc. As well as other fluid flush/changes. Does run just fine...radio does not work, and has been removed.

Elwood P Dowd
    Cheap would be around $1000 or within horse trading room of $1000ish, project would be something like what your describing, I've been an aircraft mechanic for 20 years and have been taking things apart since I first picked up a wrench (just ask my poor father ) I've pretty much done all my own vehicle maintenance since I've been driving so not much scares me but I do know when I'm over my head.

Elwood P Dowd
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Describe 'project' ? and 'cheap' ? 2002 BMW K1200LT needs cosmetics , battery, tires,....seat recover [cosmetic]? Probably should have a brake system flush, and pads etc. As well as other fluid flush/changes. Does run just fine...radio does not work, and has been removed.
    Just out of curiosity what happened to your bikes cosmetics?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P Dowd View Post
    Just out of curiosity what happened to your bikes cosmetics?

THe poor thing was just neglected...I believe never washed/polished. I used 3 clay bars to clean what I have so far, right saddlebag & lower fairing panel yet to be done. And have done first polish on the finished parts....it's looking beautiful. One 'rub' mark on the L/hand fairing panel is the only 'blem' It is Titan Silver. The seat is dry-cracked, the shield [was] yellow...but again it polished up clear as crystal...looks new.

I have 3 times that in it so can't go any where near that low....I just lost interest due to some personal issues....too long a story & wouldn't want to bore ya....

I may regain my interest, and if I do ? I'll end up with a bargain 'mile eater luxury bike'. After I read yourpost I thought ? don't hurt to ask!

Elwood P Dowd
    I understand, that's a pretty nice bike and I would be amazed if I found something like that in my price range. Crazy that someone would spend the money for a bike like that and then neglect it, just doesn't seem right.

Welcome, Elwood! Good luck with your search. I hope you find something soon. Be sure to post pics when you do!