Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Was Your Summer?

Hybrid View

Left Coast Rider

How Was Your Summer?

With the month of September usually comes a reduction in the amount of travelling/holidays most of us do/take. My assignment for you, class, is a quick note covering "What I Did On My Summer Vacation".

I'll start:

- Went to the BMW Rally in Salem. Met a couple of guys (SeabeckS and K75S) from this site. Attended a bunch of seminars. Had a gas.
    - Rode south from there into Northern California, out to the coast, and then down to Napa Valley area. Outstanding.
    - Went to the BeeCee Beemer Rally in Nakusp, BC. Met Voni and Paul Glaves. Camped for first time in about 100 years. Had a gas.
    - Rode from Minneapolis through S. Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California. Had a real gas.
    - No accidents, breakdowns, flat tires, etc.

How about you?

iscream-stop
    So far,
    Cliff notes here,
    Got to lots of riding with family this year!
    Son got his MC license this spring,
    Rode to Moonshine for burger with 2000 closest friends from all over country
    Entire family rode to 40th Sturgis mini-rally in Michigan, going every year from now on.
    wife and I took weekend ride to PUT-IN-Bay and lake Erie area.
    Couldn't go to National Rally this year so we took week and went south,
    KY,TN,NC,WV,VA,OH and some great roads with names like Dragon, Moonshiners 28, Back of Dragon, etc.
    after getting dumped on In VA by rain and 100 degree days rest of trip I decided I would rather have hotel and AC and showers than camping.
    so far we have covered 9 states this year. Not the most in year but not bad.
    I think for me riding season is just getting started, fall colors and cooler temps make just going out for a few hundred mile more enjoyable.

Summer? I live in AZ, we're just getting to our best rinding weather now :-)

Here's the long version:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...-Summer-Wander

Glad we got to meet you in Nakusp. Did I get a picture of you?

Voni
    sMiling
    Last edited by Voni; 09-13-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Here's the long versiion:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...-Summer-Wander

Glad we got to meet you in Nakusp. Did I get a picture of you?

Voni
    sMiling
    Not sure that you did but I was handing out autographed copies Friday night. Kidding!

Thanks for coming up our way!

I moved....

That's pretty much it. Didn't really ride anywhere except an ADV weekend in WV and the Finger Lakes Rally. Made the best of both trips.

But as for the summer....I moved....and all the headaches and hassles that came along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsPhilD View Post

I don't think I've been on the bike since early June. It's just too hot for me to ride in the summer plus it's when we do most of our RV'ing, mostly to escape the summer temps. Anyway, I just started getting the bike ready for fall/winter riding. I'm hoping to make up for the summer non-riding.
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

+1 but riding. My bike with its new CF body gets matt-film coated Saturday and later when we're not 104, I'll ride it plenty.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    +1 but riding. My bike with its new CF body gets matt-film coated Saturday and later when we're not 104, I'll ride it plenty.
    Been riding all summer commuting to work. When it gets over 110, it's real uncomfortable. 119 is on fire.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

advrider.com
    I doubt I've put a single mile on a motorcycle this summer, and maybe only 100 this spring.

It's because I've recently moved to Oklahoma. Not only are the roads flat and straight as far as the eye can see (before the earth starts to curve away), but they're pot-holed, rough, and beat to hell. If the thought of riding for hours just to find something good doesn't bum me out, it's the thought of riding for hours on those roads just to get back home after a good ride. Haha.

When I whine like that to other riders, I almost always have the same conversation:
    "No, there are plenty of good places to ride in Oklahoma!"
    "Where?"
    "Arkansas."

So, in other words, I hope to move soon.

Good weather for riding this summer in Minnesota. Of course, with the snows in May, my personal season didn't get started all that early, but once it did, I've been riding almost daily. That said, I really haven't ridden to any destination other than my place of work. As usual, most of miles are put on commuting and this year is no exception. Usually, though, I do get to a rally or maybe a weekend trip. Not so this year, but then the riding season is far from over.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    I doubt I've put a single mile on a motorcycle this summer, and maybe only 100 this spring.

It's because I've recently moved to Oklahoma. Not only are the roads flat and straight as far as the eye can see (before the earth starts to curve away), but they're pot-holed, rough, and beat to hell. If the thought of riding for hours just to find something good doesn't bum me out, it's the thought of riding for hours on those roads just to get back home after a good ride. Haha.

When I whine like that to other riders, I almost always have the same conversation:
    "No, there are plenty of good places to ride in Oklahoma!"
    "Where?"
    "Arkansas."

So, in other words, I hope to move soon.
    You didn't say where you were located or what you are riding, but I did a wine tour in Oklahoma in 2005; I visited about 6 wineries all south of Okla. city, east of IH35 and west of US 69. Some were located on dirt or gravel roads and some on paved. It was a wonderful time I remember and would do it again. Also lots of pretty riding north of Idabel and over to the Ark border. You are right most of Okla is flat and open but there are some pretty places to ride. In 2005 I don't remember the paved roads being so bad; when there are rough roads, I slow down; when there are pot holes, I ride around them. I've see those kind of roads in about every state and I've seen good roads also, just go with the flow and enjoy.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Yeah, it was hot as hell. I am looking forward to sub 100 degree weather every day.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Alex,

I lived in Germany for six years and visited Europe another 15 or so times. I've skied, ridden and driven in the Alps a fair amount of times and it is fantastic place, but I do wonder what keeps you going back for so many years. And, evidently at the exclusion of so many other great places to ride. I think I would have moved on to other wonders. Just curious.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost