Thread: R1100RT High Beam

Hybrid View

R1100RT High Beam

1999 R1100RT

It is rare that I drive at night, but I did last night. What I noticed was that when on low beam the visibility was good, nice and centered and the beam hit the road at a nice distance in front of the bike. When I went to high beam, however, totally different story. The beam pulled way back towards the bike and spread out very wide to each side of the bike. Visibility was significantly worse, almost useless in fact.

I installed a new bulb not too long ago along with doing the Eastern Beaver headlight mod which powers the bulb right off the battery. I aligned the bulb using the low beam only and did it per specifications (like I said, low beam was great).

Since this is a single bulb set up, I am wondering how the low beam alignment could be so good and the high beam so bad. Any thoughts????

No longer a member here
    Sorry, but from your description, it sounds like the high and low beam settings are reversed. You're sure you didn't mix up the connections when you modded the headlight?

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Sorry, but from your description, it sounds like the high and low beam settings are reversed. You're sure you didn't mix up the connections when you modded the headlight?
    Hmmm....a good thought. I'll check into that. Would not be the first time I mucked something up.

Quote Originally Posted by bobr9 View Post
    Hmmm....a good thought. I'll check into that. Would not be the first time I mucked something up.
    After looking at the relay kit I got from Eastern Beaver I don't think it is likely that this is the issue, as it is a plug and play replacement, so unless the relay kit itself was made incorrectly, I don't think it is reversed. Good thought though.

I don't think it is possible, but could the bulb be in upside-down?

Quote Originally Posted by scott.lambert View Post
    I don't think it is possible, but could the bulb be in upside-down?
    I am looking at an old bulb and it has three tabs on it that I assume have to fit into the bulb socket, so looks like it could only go one way. However I have only done one bulb change and can't really say if there is a way to get it to fit upside down. Could someone with more bulb changing experience than I weigh in on whether it is possible to do or not?