Thread: Starter problems

Starter problems

Starter bendix does not engage after short rides. Starter motor spins but does not engage in fly wheel second or third try engine starts fine. 2004 R1150 rt, 65 k dealer full service at 60K.
    Any Ideas worried it might take more than 3 tries
    Art: bikes

'04 R1150 RT Mine
    '00 R1100 RT Hers
    '03 Z4 Ours

Here is the deal. Power is reaching the solenoid. The solenoid is engaging. This closes contacts and energizes the motor. But, when the solenoid engages and pushes the nose gear and drive forward the gear teeth are not reaching the flywheel.

The starter needs to be removed. Two bolts and two wires after the left size plastic is removed. It is possible that the fork that moves the nose gear is bent, but it is far more likely that the shaft and nose gear just need to be thoroughly cleaned and lubricated. I would use electric motor cleaner and compressed air to clean things up and oil to lubricate the gear and shaft.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Disount Starter

My solution a year ago was www.discountstarterandalternator.com. A new starter, delivered for $71.90. It fit perfectly and still works great on my R1100RT.

Dan Benson

What Paul said.

I can do this on an RS in under half an hour.
    I've read the tupperware removal on an RT is long but the starter part is easy.

That's a great site Dan!
    Thanks, and welcome.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by ayaple View Post
    Starter bendix does not engage after short rides. Starter motor spins but does not engage in fly wheel second or third try engine starts fine. 2004 R1150 rt, 65 k dealer full service at 60K.
    Any Ideas worried it might take more than 3 tries
    Thanks Paul , Dan , and Mike. If it rains this weekend I'll start to peal the plastic off to clean and lubricate to alleviate my worries,
    Art
    Art: bikes

'04 R1150 RT Mine
    '00 R1100 RT Hers
    '03 Z4 Ours