Thread: Oil spray Left Side

Oil spray Left Side

My 95 R1100 GS with 115,000 happily traveled miles blew oil on to my left boot and shin yesterday. As soon as I noticed the leak (my toes slid of the shift lever) I had about 6 miles to go to home. It seems it was coming from the left valve cover when at highway speed. Glad I was close to home. Oil light never came on.
    I have changed my valve cover gaskets before. After taking the covers off on both sides (time for a valve and rocker arms adjustment) I noticed both spark plug grommets were slightly torn and a small O ring on each valve cover was torn. I'm going to replace all the rubber. However I feel last time I did an adj the rubber was in the same condition and it didn't leak. (I know I should have replaced them but I was on a trip)
    Could this possibly be another problem? The oil is not over filled.

I can't seem to find the tiny o rings that go on the thread end of the valve cover bolts on Max's micro fiche.

Also what do I do about stripped thread on the cylinder head? Can I tap it, or put an insert?

Thank you,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by MUSICMAN View Post
    Could this possibly be another problem? The oil is not over filled.

I can't seem to find the tiny o rings that go on the thread end of the valve cover bolts on Max's micro fiche.

Also what do I do about stripped thread on the cylinder head? Can I tap it, or put an insert?

Thank you,
    Andy
    Oil leak, think simple, first. Check your oil fill O rings, there are two. one on the cap and one on the insert in the valve cover. Next check your oil sight window. Leaking is a common problem on oil heads and easy to fix.

Stripped thread? Are you talking one of the threads for the valve covers? If yes, heli-coil or one of the other inserts works well for a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSICMAN View Post
    Can I tap it, or put an insert?
    Other than a "Heli-coil", which are good, you can also look for a "Time-Sert" (Canadian term, I think). Wurth has them. They are my preference for screws/bolts that will be removed fairly often. "Heli-coil" are good but find they aren't the most friendly when you need to take it apart again.

A tougher find are "Stak-Em". They look like "Time-Sert" but you can stake them in place, not relying on Loctite. Those are the best but very hard to find.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    +1 on what DY said. For high use threads the time sert will work really well. You do have to get the right tools to install them properly and they are not cheap but when done right they are an excellent and permanent fix.

Not a helicoil fan... too soft, too easy to strip again.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT