Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 76

Thread: What's the problem with tire pressure?

  1. #61
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Yes, and most are radials. And you really shouldn't put a lower profile tire on a bike designed for a higher profile tire.
    That is true. But what I was trying to say was, that when referring to "newer tires with higher pressures", the "newer" could refer to those with lower aspect ratio vs those with higher aspect ratio. A /50 tire (radial) has not been around for THAT long and it usually runs with a higher pressure than a /70 (radial)

  2. #62
    Cam Killer marchyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    3,468
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    For many, myself included, the days of "uber-reliable" BMW's is long gone based on those and many other problems.
    I disagree. The bike was never "uber-reliable" -- the competition was just crap. It only looked "uber-reliable" when compared against a piece of crap bike that was ready for the junk pile in less than 20K miles. Today the competition makes a bike as good or better than BMW.

    And what does this have to do with tire pressure?

  3. #63
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I disagree. The bike was never "uber-reliable" -- the competition was just crap. It only looked "uber-reliable" when compared against a piece of crap bike that was ready for the junk pile in less than 20K miles. Today the competition makes a bike as good or better than BMW.

    And what does this have to do with tire pressure?
    I was responding to Kevin.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

  4. #64
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,476

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    I was responding to Kevin.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  5. #65
    BruceRT
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    104

    Tire manufacturer's specifications

    Getting back to the original point, the tire manufacturer sometimes suggests a different pressure for their product. Call them and ask. Michelin's representative (800-346-4098) said to use the pressures in the owners manual. Also said that there is no difference in tire life for a solo rider when using the "B" rating Pilot Road 3 versus the other rating.

    when I told her how much I weighed and what I usually carried, she said I could adjust the pressure upwards near the "loaded" recommendation.

    So I guess my point is that the numbers in the bike's manual are for the original equipment tires and your after market tires might need a different pressure. The tire manufacturers are willing to explain this to you so look up their phone number and call.
    Bruce
    2005 R1200RT (It's new to me!)
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you are not continuously learning, you are slowly getting bored.

  6. #66
    Alps Adventurer GlobalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada and the Alps
    Posts
    3,626
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    I see repeated tire pressure threads and I'm not sure why.
    I see repeated "what oil" threads and I'm not sure why because it lists what to use in the owner's manual. Go figure...maybe people can't read. LOL

  7. #67
    rangerreece rangerreece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Enterprise, AL
    Posts
    195
    Originally Posted by WalterK75
    I see repeated tire pressure threads and I'm not sure why.
    I see repeated "what oil" threads and I'm not sure why because it lists what to use in the owner's manual. Go figure...maybe people can't read. LOL

    I'll bet money it's because BMW Motorcyles riders like to talk technical data on forums, and at rallies, and dinner tables, and at church, at work, in bed, while sky diving, while scuba diving even though it just sounds like a lot do air and bubbles on a respirator... Well you get the idea.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

  8. #68
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    I'll bet money it's because BMW Motorcyles riders like to talk technical data....while scuba diving even though it just sounds like a lot of air and bubbles on a respirator...
    Sometimes it sounds like that even when you're NOT under water.

  9. #69
    Ozzie Flyer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Originally Posted by WalterK75
    I see repeated tire pressure threads and I'm not sure why.
    I see repeated "what oil" threads and I'm not sure why because it lists what to use in the owner's manual. Go figure...maybe people can't read. LOL

    I'll bet money it's because BMW Motorcyles riders like to talk technical data on forums, and at rallies, and dinner tables, and at church, at work, in bed, while sky diving, while scuba diving even though it just sounds like a lot do air and bubbles on a respirator... Well you get the idea.
    +1 for sure. we all like to think we know best, or it has been like that for 40 years whilst I was racing etc etc, but the reality is we probably don't. Reading manuals is no where near as much fun as arguing on the forum
    best regards
    Paul
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

  10. #70
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    I'll bet money it's because BMW Motorcyles riders like to talk technical data on forums, and at rallies, and dinner tables, and at church, at work, in bed, while sky diving, while scuba diving even though it just sounds like a lot do air and bubbles on a respirator... Well you get the idea.
    It's not unique to BMW riders. I see the same happening in other forums.

  11. #71
    Out There Somewhere bmwrider88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Originally Posted by WalterK75
    I see repeated tire pressure threads and I'm not sure why.
    I see repeated "what oil" threads and I'm not sure why because it lists what to use in the owner's manual. Go figure...maybe people can't read. LOL

    I'll bet money it's because BMW Motorcyles riders like to talk technical data on forums, and at rallies, and dinner tables, and at church, at work, in bed, while sky diving, while scuba diving even though it just sounds like a lot do air and bubbles on a respirator... Well you get the idea.
    WELL, to carry on in the "technical data RE: tires/air pressure" vein....

    AND, since I couldn't figure out a way to squeeze
    Dyna Beads
    into this discussion...




    What affect, if any, do suspension adjustments OR maladjustments have on tire wear (assuming "correct" tire pressure levels)?

    The reason I ask:

    At the beginning of the summer, I got a new pair of PR3s on my K1200, which I bought used, and so far I have not set the suspension or changed it in any way from where it was set by the PO when I got the bike over 1 year ago. The dealership inflated my new [rather expensive] tires to "36 front, 42 rear". So far, I have tried to be as careful as possible in maintaining these pressure levels- yet, it APPEARS that the front tire is beginning to show a bit of a "ridge" to the left side of center (if you were sitting on the bike). This, after "only" a couple thousand miles.

    Uh... WTF? Over.

    Could it be that the suspension is NOT set for my weight/riding style, and even tho I am trying to be careful about air pressure, it's causing oddball wear pattern(s) on my front tire?
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

  12. #72
    Registered User WalterK75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    it APPEARS that the front tire is beginning to show a bit of a "ridge" to the left side of center (if you were sitting on the bike). This, after "only" a couple thousand miles.
    Sounds as though we may be going into the road camber discussion as a cause for the left side (from rider's perspective) wearing, although I'm not sure what is meant here by a "ridge." I would have expected tread wear. Would it be possible to get a picture of this?
    Walter

    All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

  13. #73
    Out There Somewhere bmwrider88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    Sounds as though we may be going into the road camber discussion as a cause for the left side (from rider's perspective) wearing, although I'm not sure what is meant here by a "ridge." I would have expected tread wear. Would it be possible to get a picture of this?
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/attachme...chmentid=42052

    Here's a pic rangerreese posted in the "carbon black" Tire Mystery thread, that clearly shows a "ridge" like I was describing on my front tire. In this photo, there appears to be a "flat" spot at the tire's center, looks about 1&1/2" wide, with similar "ridges" on each side.
    On my own front tire, this was only just beginning, and ai saw it in late afternoon sunlight, as the low sun shone across my front tire.
    I adjusted my pressure slightly and since, this appears to have eased off on my own front tire.
    I had found that I had actually inc
    Erased my tire pressure above the 36 pounds and probably had 38 or so pounds of oressure in the tire.

    So meanwhile, nobody really addressed my question about suspension adjustments and whether a incorrect suspension settings may cause tires to wear badly?
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,438
    that tire pic looks indicative of 2 things-
    1) too much vertical riding.. finding lots of curves should resolve it. In extreme cases, you might need to move to NorCal, central CO or other such twistyroad states.
    2) tire pressure too high. fix is obvious.

    some of that center flattening is inevitable, as even the twistiesroad states may require too much vertical riding (by percentage of road time).
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  15. #75
    Bluenoser
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lethbridge Alberta
    Posts
    456
    Folks should really take in one of the tire manufacturers presentations at a rally. They, the engineers, all say the same thing, inflate the tires to the manufactures specs as outlined in your owners manuals. All the writing on the tire ie: 42 lbs cold, 900 lbs load, is saying is that is the maximum load & cold pressure that tire is designed to handle.

    Yes you can put more, yes you can put less air etc but to say that we know more than a tire company that spends millions on testing is a bit far fetched. I can tell winter is coming on.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •