Thread: 98 R1100RT Sticking front brake lever

98 R1100RT Sticking front brake lever

Hi All looking for a suggestion, advice on this issue the front brake lever is not fully returning to position when released and as such the brake lights are staying on. I've tried lubricating the pivot point but it still seems sticky, do I need to disassemble the unit to clean properly?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestion
    Rod
    Roderick Wood
    Hamilton Ontario
    '98 R1100RT,81 Honda CB750K

I have the same model and year. Last fall I had the exact same problem. I ended up having to rebuild the front master cylinder with a rebuild kit from beemer boneyard. Has worked properly since.

Mark

Sounds more like a pressure problem than a lever problem. Master cylinder, as Mark notes, or caliper seals, or failing hoses, or pads near end-of-life....
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

I stumbled on a case, helping a rider sort out an always-on brake light at the recent rally in Nakusp. Digging a little deeper than just cleaning/lubing the lever, he discovered that a little rubber boot or seal where the lever contacts the piston rod had deteriorated and was in the way, preventing full lever return.

This is precisely the type of issue I might expect to encounter on a 15 year old bike.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Update I took the lever apart at the pivot bolt and found the plastic roller sticking cleaned everything up and re-assembled and its working properly again.
    once again thanks for the help and suggestions
    Roderick Wood
    Hamilton Ontario
    '98 R1100RT,81 Honda CB750K