Thread: 1986 R80Rt: Timing Chain?

1986 R80Rt: Timing Chain?

My R80RT with only 34,000 miles, recently picked up a sound that has a slight rattle...clinging and a little clanging when at idle. I had my vavles adjust 5000 miles ago, been riding her so-ever softly, as I always do. Sound appears to up in front and low. Not to harsh of a sound but enough I recently took note. The other day, while my mechanic and I were sychomating the carbs for my Canadian trip, he thought it sounded normal but I ride it each day. I am thinking it is a timing chain. Is that usual for a chain at that low of milage?

Your thoughts -

Thanks

34K seems low to me...I suppose it all depends on history and how the bike has been used. A bike that runs at cruising speeds all the time should be able to go longer I would think...a bike with jack rabbit starts and use of engine compression for braking would be lower.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemike1 View Post
    My R80RT with only 34,000 miles, recently picked up a sound that has a slight rattle...clinging and a little clanging when at idle. I had my vavles adjust 5000 miles ago, been riding her so-ever softly, as I always do. Sound appears to up in front and low. Not to harsh of a sound but enough I recently took note. The other day, while my mechanic and I were sychomating the carbs for my Canadian trip, he thought it sounded normal but I ride it each day. I am thinking it is a timing chain. Is that usual for a chain at that low of milage?

Your thoughts -

Thanks
    Does it go away when the clutch is pulled in? If so, thats normal. It's the gears slapping each other with each pulse.