Thread: 2011 R1200 GS - Engine surges after synchronization with GS-911

2011 R1200 GS - Engine surges after synchronization with GS-911

Hi,

My bike (with 74,000 km on it) was working fine prior to doing a synchronization with the GS-911 today.

As part of routine maintenance, I thought I would check the synchronization, so I connected the GS-911 using my laptop and I believe I followed the directions as prompted by the GS-911. I used two mercury columns from my mercury four column manometer for the balancer.

Before doing the synchronization I calibrated the exhaust flap successfully.

As it turned out, I actually didn't make any adjustments whatsoever to the bike's two throttle body cables as the differential pressures at idle, and at 1400 - 1800 rpm, were within specification, as per the BMW Repair Manual DVD.

When I finished the calibration procedure, the laptop said the procedure was successful. But in reality it was not successful, because when I finished the procedure the engine is now steadily surging back and forth between about 1500 to 2000 rpm, so the bike is not idling normally, and it is not driveable.

There were no fault codes before I started and there are no fault codes now.

When I attempted the synchronization procedure again, the engine runs normally when the idle actuators are locked during the procedure, but when they are unlocked, at the start of the procedure, and at the end of the procedure, the engine surging starts.

After the problem arose, I did some other things with the GS_911, and the GS-911 says that it successfully performed the idle actuation calibration, as well as the idle actuator test 1 and test 2, as well as the electric fuel pump test, as well as the injector 1 and injector 2 tests.

During the synchronization procedure, I ran the bike at idle, and I also sped the engine up a bit with the twist grip to check the pressure differential between 1400 to 1800 rpm, as per the BMW Repair DVD...would my moving of the twist grip have screwed something up? Is there a way of "re-calibrating the twist grip?

I have started the engine several times since, thinking it might "reset" itself, but the problem is still there.

Can anybody please help me out?

Thank you.

Dave McDougall
    2011 R1200GS

Re do the lock/unlock throttle stepper procedure. Be sure to follow the prompts exactly.

I've also read that resetting all adaptation values can sometimes help, but I'm not sure it is a real or placebo effect.

I've tried re-doing the synchronization procedure a couple of times to the very best of my ability, but it hasn't solved the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dave

Dunno, but...

Check out posts 4-7 here Yes, it is referring to an 1150, like I said, "Dunno, but..."
    Dan

2010 R1200GSA

Funny - a friend from Denver called me with the exact same problem with his 2013 GS about a week ago. Did a sync and had the same surging.

After a lot of going around - he reset the adaptation values using his GS-911 and the problem was solved. Instantly. Not a placebo - for real. Since you have a GS-911 this is the very first thing I'd try. You do have to teach the ECU the gear selector values after doing the reset, but you can do that with a short ride.

Let us know how it works out for you.

BTW - you can teach the ECU the throttle position, only one twist is necessary with the ignition on, but it will also learn it just as well by riding the bike. No need to sacrifice chickens and dance counter-clockwise around the bikes as was done with the R1150's..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Problem Solved!!!

Thanks so much marchyman and Don for suggesting the resetting of the adaptation values. Like your friend in Denver, Don, it solved the problem instantly, for real. Your suggestion certainly saved me a lot of inconvenience and probably $$$...I was going to have to have it towed to the nearest dealer about an hour and a half away, and even though the bike is under warranty, I am not sure what position they would have taken if they said it was my fault. Again, thank you so much. This forum certainly saved my bacon this time. I am not sure that I ever would have tried re-setting the adaptations before I would have resigned myself to towing it to the dealer.

Best regards,

Dave McDougall