Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1978 r100

If they were not leaking I'd left them alone.
    I'm thinking motor oil and white soft scotch brite pads. Or mineral spirits. Of course being careful not to contaminate the oil on the valve train.
    I'll let you know what works.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    I forgot to put that in my post, it's on the list. I have the gasket on my bench.
    Thanks for the reminder to check the oil pump bolts and to use EXTREME CAUTION when tightening the pan bolts.
    When I purchased my used R100, there were no "leaks" in the sense of dripping on the floor. However, I did notice that there were lots of oil residue on the pan and just behind it. There was probably leakage, however, when running as the crankcase is under pressure each time the pistons start on their downstrokes. I carefully went around all the 14 pan bolts and checked the tightness. All seemed too loose, so I tightened more. I noticed at that time that the gasket seemed very soft.

I ordered a new gasket but didn't replace until yesterday. When doing another repair, I noticed that 2 of these bolts had actually backed out about 1/8" !! WOW! The old gasket when removed was like a piece of jelly rubber. No matter how much tightening it would have seeped under crankcase pressure.

The point I am making in all of this? Be sure to check those bolts regularly. If too tight - they smash the gasket too much! If too loose, they could actually unscrew themselves!

Here is what I have DONE on my weekend to do list...
    X...Torque heads
    X...Adjust valves
    X...Replace rocker cover gaskets
    X...Install new plugs

Install new air filter
    Install new fuel line
    Install new fuel filters
    Adjust clutch
    Install new battery
    Install new mufflers
    Go for a ride to get bike to operating temp
    Adjust carbs to baseline specs
    Go for another ride and tweak carbs (not while riding) until satisfied

WHILE EVERYTHING IS AT OPERATING TEMP...
    Drain engine oil
    Remove and clean oil pan, pump/screen
    Torque oil pump
    Replace oil pan with new gasket
    Install new oil filter and oil
    Change trans lube
    Change FD lube
    Change driveshaft lube
    ...yes I have all new crush washers and proper torque specs

If I run out of time...no problem, there is always next weekend

Next weekend...
    Finish whatever does not get done this weekend
    Instal new tires, tubes and rim strips
    Bleed front brakes and change fluid
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7

Here is my first of which will be many questions...
    even though

Doing this in a vacuum with no prior experience is pretty much not feasible.

There's little difference made by conversing on a forum.
    ..... I will ask any way.

My rocker cover gaskets are literally baked on to the heads. I am sure they are the original cork ones.
    I am in the, very slow and tedious, process of using a razor blade to get as close to the machined surface withoutnicking the metal. Is there a solvent that will help in this process and what is best used to get that final mil of gasket up without damage to the head?

I need a beer!

TIA,
    GF
    Rusty at Max's BMW put me on to using a solvent. I used Xylol from my local hardware and it softened all that old gasket glue material. Did not harm or discolor aluminum, in fact it helped clean it.

However, just a warning. There is no benefit to asking anyone here for information!

REALLY, I have found these people invaluable because many have been through these things many times and have lots of great advice and insights.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post

REALLY, I have found these people invaluable because many have been through these things many times and have lots of great advice and insights.
    this is so true! when I had my /5 a few years back, every problem I had was resolved with the help of our MOA family.

BTW I did get the gaskets cleaned off with a few razor blades, some brake Kleen on A rag and a lot of patience
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7

Weekend Update

Here is what I have DONE on my weekend to do list...
    X...Torque heads
    X...Adjust valves
    X...Replace rocker cover gaskets
    X...Install new plugs
    X...Install new air filter
    X...Install new fuel line
    X...Install new fuel filters
    Adjust clutch
    X...Install new battery
    X...Install new mufflers
    X...Go for a ride to get bike to operating temp
    THEN KEPT RIDING BECAUSE EVERYTHING WAS OPERATING SO WELL, I DID NOT WANT TO STOP, BUT HAD TO

My Bing manual did not arrive, so I did not mess with the carbs yet.
    Adjust carbs to baseline specs
    Go for another ride and tweak carbs (not while riding) until satisfied

WHILE EVERYTHING IS AT OPERATING TEMP...
    X..Drain engine oil
    X...Install new oil filter and oil

I have been doing lots of cleaning along the way too. Every area I have been working in has been cleaned and re-cleaned getting it all spiffed up for extreme detailing and wax.

THEN I RAN OUT OF TIME...

Change trans lube
    Change FD lube
    Change driveshaft lube
    ...yes I have all new crush washers and proper torque specs

I am amazed at the power of this old airhead and how smooth it is even without doing anything to the carbs.
    After the Bing's get set up I'm sure this thing is gonna purr like a kitten!
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7

Your comment about cleaning:
    Quote "I have been doing lots of cleaning along the way too. Every area I have been working in has been cleaned and re-cleaned getting it all spiffed up for extreme detailing and wax." quote

I just finished up an 1977 R100 that had really not been cleaned for a long time, the picture looks terrible but some of it is grease from the leaking pushrod seals. Here is the picture of the FD before I used WD40 and a bunch of scotch brite pads. I don't use other cleaners because I don't want to loose the original look. Plus you risk leaving streaks running t=down the metal. I am also guessing that the WD40 must kind of get into the pores of the metal because when it gets dirty again it is a fairly quick job to clean compared to the first time. Probably spent 15-20 minutes rubbing and rubbing. Came out really shiny!
    How is the progress coming? I had to post these to make sure you were keeping up on your list!
    Regards,
    Kurt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

Looks great!
    I picked up a bunch of Scotch Brite pads before vacation. I will get th WD 40 when I get home next week.
    In NE right now driving a 914 home from LA with a friend.

Will keep updating as I progress
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7

Scotch Brite Pads

Guys...just don't use those pads where debris can get inside of any critical components. Broken down and mixed with lubricants, they create an acid and leave debris that have lunched many bearings in our lab, somewhere in SE Michigan. Be careful.
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

I did not know that...
    THANK YOU!
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7

My 1980 100RT oozed and dripped oil from numerous places (pan, rocker covers, neutral switch, cylinder bases etc etc). Finally I have gotten her leak free. For cylinder bases, new base o ring, plus a very thin coating of red Hi Temp gasket sealer. The neutral switch just needed replacing. The oil pan and rocker cover leaks were solved by installing silicone gaskets (Real Gaskets Inc). Some folks hate them and some love them, but I have had very good success with silicone.

Like the guys say, just freshen up the fluids, clean it and then ride and see what shows. When I bought my bike , it seemed to be covered in oily slime...After a good cleaning I was able to see what was oozing. PS My oil consumption has gone noticeably down so I musta been slinging oil a lot
    Steve in Santa Fe
    1980 R100RT
    2005 DR 650

washer on neutral switch

I believe the washer on the neutral switch is different from the other drain gaskets.
    Max BMW lists this as the correct gasket to prevent more leaks!
    61 31 1 355 262 GASKET RING - A 12,2 X 20-AL
    Hopefully this item was ordered along with the new switch. I am planning on a new switch after riding season ends and have the washer (gasket ring) marked and set aside so I don't use it somewhere else!!!
    kurt
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

No longer a member here
    In NE right now driving a 914 home from LA with a friend.

Will keep updating as I progress
    Thread Hijack Alert:

Owned a 914/6 GT in the mid 70s. Was one of my favorite cars. Bought it with a 2.3L bored 911S engine putting out 220hp and campaigned it in some races back in Germany. Have to dig out some pics!
    It was "Zitronengelb". They probably named the color different here in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Thread Hijack Alert:

Owned a 914/6 GT in the mid 70s. Was one of my favorite cars. Bought it with a 2.3L bored 911S engine putting out 220hp and campaigned it in some races back in Germany. Have to dig out some pics!
    It was "Zitronengelb". They probably named the color different here in the U.S.

Not to continue the Hijack but...the 914 & 914/6 never received much acclaim , {IMO} because of the VW connection ? But I always liked them...particularly the /6 of course !
    Correct me if I'm wrong but they actually handled better than the 911 ? I only drove one once...so I'm no expert. Drove a "71" Carrera RSR once as well.....WoW!

Here it is a a fuel stop in CA.
    This is the first 914 that I have driven, and yes, it handles incredible...especially for a 40 year old car.
    This is my friends daily driver. His other 914 is also a 74' and the 2013 Porsche Parade Concours winner, so it does not get driven much, these days.

upload

I will get back to my /7 this weekend and will update ASAP.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7