Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54

Thread: 1978 r100

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Doing this in a vacuum with no prior experience is pretty much not feasible.

    There's little difference made by conversing on a forum.

    But, there are BMW clubs everywhere and there'll be numerous guys in them that have previously done these tasks, have the tools, and will likely find it fun to help.

    Find them at MOA and Airheads.
    This seems to me to be a completely false statement...and arrogant too!

    I don't see how this statement contributes to anything!

    I have found a GREAT amount of help on here - lots of times!

    As a matter of fact, checking in on the website here IS the opposite of a vacuum - lots of people here have lots of experience.

  2. #17
    Registered User kwb210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Washington, the state
    Posts
    276
    Your comment:
    "Today I got the entire engine cleaned up and with the advice/knowledge of a friend, i think I may have the pushrod tube seal leaks taken care of. A lot of work ahead of me, but thats half the fun!"

    I am wondering what the trick was to cure the leaks?

    I have a 1976 R75/6 in the same color with just under 40,000 on the clock. I am finishing up getting her real pretty! Did a frame off, powder coat etc. It has been fun. I left the paint as is, just could not paint over the original patina.
    Regards,
    Kurt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

  3. #18
    Minnesota Nice! braddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities - MN
    Posts
    1,920
    Love that color, godfather, keep up the good work, and keep us all posted on your progress and riding experiences.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    This seems to me to be a completely false statement...and arrogant too!

    I don't see how this statement contributes to anything!

    I have found a GREAT amount of help on here - lots of times!

    As a matter of fact, checking in on the website here IS the opposite of a vacuum - lots of people here have lots of experience.

    +1 & ^5

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by kwb210 View Post
    Your comment:
    "Today I got the entire engine cleaned up and with the advice/knowledge of a friend, i think I may have the pushrod tube seal leaks taken care of. A lot of work ahead of me, but thats half the fun!"

    I am wondering what the trick was to cure the leaks?

    I have a 1976 R75/6 in the same color with just under 40,000 on the clock. I am finishing up getting her real pretty! Did a frame off, powder coat etc. It has been fun. I left the paint as is, just could not paint over the original patina.
    Regards,
    Kurt


    Very nice indeed !! and I agree about the paint. I see you have the Krauser hoops on it, ...a small windshield and it's "road-ready"...

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    959
    Do you have the bags to go with that bag mount?

  7. #22
    Registered User godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cadillac, MI area
    Posts
    539
    I am wondering what the trick was to cure the leaks?


    PM sent
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    959
    When I purchased my '78 R100/7, I for sure thought I had oil leaks as there was all sorts of oily build up all over the engine. Once cleaned up, however, I found out that it just appeared that way and I concluded that it was because the PO just didn't clean the engine (or much else) up very well. I now have over 5,000 miles later and hardly a residue of oil anywhere. I think all the engines have SOME seepage, but if regularly cleaned, they are hardly noticeable.

    My bike, however, never had any "dripping" oil - ever, so yours could have been worse and need further attention, but sounds good as is.

    Make sure all moving critical items are properly lubed, and ride and enjoy.

    Actually mine has become my joy! I can't tell you how much pleasure it brings just to ride and enjoy the smoothness, and quietness. I am thinking of kicking the wife out of the house, and bringing in my newest partner!

  9. #24
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    Do you have the bags to go with that bag mount?
    Why do you ask that question, Jim?

  10. #25
    Registered User kwb210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Washington, the state
    Posts
    276

    not trying to hijack...

    Yes I do, they look nice, I like the older style.
    Thanks for noticing!
    Kurt

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    Do you have the bags to go with that bag mount?
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

  11. #26
    Registered User godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cadillac, MI area
    Posts
    539

    The fun begins...

    All of my tune up stuff will arrive tomorrow.
    Mufflers Friday
    Tires and related items hopefully Friday

    I WILL BE ASKING QUESTIONS WHEN I STUMBLE...because...

    Doing this in a vacuum with no prior experience is pretty much not feasible.

    Here is what I have on my weekend to do list...in this order

    Torque heads
    Adjust valves
    Replace rocker cover gaskets
    Install new plugs
    Install new air filter
    Install new fuel line
    Install new fuel filters
    Adjust clutch
    Install new battery
    Install new mufflers
    Go for a ride to get bike to operating temp
    Adjust carbs to baseline specs
    Go for another ride and tweak carbs (not while riding) until satisfied

    WHILE EVERYTHING IS AT OPERATING TEMP...
    Change engine oil and filter
    Change trans lube
    Change FD lube
    Change driveshaft lube
    ...yes I have all new crush washers and proper torque specs

    If I run out of time...no problem, there is always next weekend

    Next weekend...
    Finish whatever does not get done this weekend
    Instal new tires, tubes and rim strips
    Bleed front brakes and change fluid

    All the while I will be cleaning, polishing, detailing and waxing every nut, bolt, nook and cranny till she looks good as new.

    Yeah Baby! Fun Fun Fun
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

  12. #27
    Registered User kwb210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Washington, the state
    Posts
    276

    oil pan

    One additional item you can consider is removing the oil pan. With the low miles the bike has been sitting...lots! For less than $9.00 cost of a pan gasket you can first off see if there is anything in the pan that should not be there! Second, wipe off all the black probably thick old oil before it circulated into the engine. Check the oil pump bolts and look to see if the screen is clean. What I usually do when I buy a bike is remove the oil pan and clean it up, new gasket and take care on tightening the fasteners!!! Not to much. Check the oil pump bolts. Then I add regular motor oil, 10-30 or 10-40 or whatever and ride it for about 25 miles. Then a full oil and filter change with Spectro 20w-50. The idea on the cheap oil is I just want to make sure the inside of the engine is free of minor gunk from sitting so long.
    You will have lots of fun getting her ready to ride.
    Best regards,
    Kurt
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

  13. #28
    Registered User godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cadillac, MI area
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by kwb210 View Post
    One additional item you can consider is removing the oil pan. With the low miles the bike has been sitting...lots! For less than $9.00 cost of a pan gasket you can first off see if there is anything in the pan that should not be there! Second, wipe off all the black probably thick old oil before it circulated into the engine. Check the oil pump bolts and look to see if the screen is clean. What I usually do when I buy a bike is remove the oil pan and clean it up, new gasket and take care on tightening the fasteners!!! Not to much. Check the oil pump bolts. Then I add regular motor oil, 10-30 or 10-40 or whatever and ride it for about 25 miles. Then a full oil and filter change with Spectro 20w-50. The idea on the cheap oil is I just want to make sure the inside of the engine is free of minor gunk from sitting so long.
    You will have lots of fun getting her ready to ride.
    Best regards,
    Kurt
    I forgot to put that in my post, it's on the list. I have the gasket on my bench.
    Thanks for the reminder to check the oil pump bolts and to use EXTREME CAUTION when tightening the pan bolts.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

  14. #29
    Registered User godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cadillac, MI area
    Posts
    539

    Rocker cover gaskets

    Here is my first of which will be many questions...
    even though

    Doing this in a vacuum with no prior experience is pretty much not feasible.

    There's little difference made by conversing on a forum.
    ..... I will ask any way.

    My rocker cover gaskets are literally baked on to the heads. I am sure they are the original cork ones.
    I am in the, very slow and tedious, process of using a razor blade to get as close to the machined surface withoutnicking the metal. Is there a solvent that will help in this process and what is best used to get that final mil of gasket up without damage to the head?

    I need a beer!

    TIA,
    GF
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

  15. #30
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,001
    Personally, I would have left them stuck to the head...I think this is the way it's supposed to be...there was heat activated glue which kept them stuck. Moving on, I'd find some stiff plastic and work it that way. Maybe try some of the cleaners used to cut the carbon on top of the pistons like Hydroseal or Simple Green. Simple Green can be caustic to aluminum if left on too long especially when used full strength.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •