Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I hate the r1100r horn/turn signal setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No longer a member here
    I always liked the BMW switch set-up. I never had a problem witht he thumb action to cancel turn signals or actuate the horn. You may want to try to rotate the switch housings a little.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    I can't recall the last time I used the horn on my RS to ward off a potential traffic issue. Space cushion, lane placement, visibility to me are more effective than the horn.

Once I got used to the signals layout, I actually prefer it over other bikes and the newer BMWs. Just me though.
    I feel the same way too.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by darrylri View Post
    I have put loud horns on my bikes, but frankly, I never use them until I am safely out of the way.

If someone is so asleep at the wheel that they would run over you, what do you think is really going to happen when you wake them up and scare the crap out of them?

A horn doesn't often save the day, it's just a way of telling the other guy that he's an idiot, and nobody likes getting that message. The way to save yourself is to be aware of your surroundings and get out of the way. Might does make right on the road, and you'll be very sorry to learn that the hard way.

BTW, one thing that is handy about the paddle switch setup is that you can have instant flashers. If you're going down the highway and suddenly there is a sea of red ligths ahead of you, just push both turn signal paddles with your thumbs. I'm not sure Bosch/BMW intended this function, but it does work, and it's way easier to do and more useful than a horn.
    That IS the intended way to activate the 4way on my F800Gs

Good luck to you, I'm very glad to see that you got your bike sorted!
    When it comes to dealing with traffic, it does not matter who is right, only who is left.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by darrylri View Post
    I don't doubt it, but I've also had people swerve back and forth between lanes when I've done it. "Ohmigosh! where's that semi truck that's honking at me??"

That's why I don't use the horn any more unless I'm already safely away from them. Their reaction is essentially random and unpredictable.
    While I appreciate the debate on the effectiveness of a horn, I'd still like to hear from Beemer owners that have the same set up as mine and whether they have tried a work around. Wunderlich makes an add-on lever for the turn signal cancel switch but that only solves one out of the three issues. I'm tempted to just bypass the built in horn switch and add a push button!

But I'm really interested to know if it's possible to retro fit newer control assemblies with the more conventional switches.
    Purveyor of fine wines & spirits
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    You can retrofit anything to anything if you have enough time, skill and/or money to throw at the problem. BMW switch schemes have evolved over the years and I find when I switch from my older airheads to my oilhead there is sometimes a bit of confusion initially which quickly disappears as old ingrained use habits come back to life.

Quite honestly the best way to solve your switch problem is more practice. With more saddle time it all becomes second nature. Except the horn which I barely ever use. I still find I have to 'hunt' for it and by then it is usually no longer needed anyway.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    I had a similar problem with the K75 horn, turn signals, high beam. It took some time but I was able to get used to it and now I find it "normal." When I ride other bikes I have a problem with the turn signals. I find the BMW arrangement convenient and there is no problem with thumb movements. Practice a bit more and see if things improve. It's cheaper than replacing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Horns are generally useless in this AC climate controlled, triple insulated soundproof glass, and 10 speaker surround sound system cars of today.

Best solution is to keep a big cushion, and concentrate on avoidance, not warning some clueless driver.

The above answers are not what you were looking for, but both are good, simple solutions that have worked for me.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Tac nuke

For the errant driver texting, talking, sleeping, drinking, with their windows rolled up and the AC on my Beemer was installed with a tactical nuclear switch complete with its own fire control computer (FCC). Upon detecting one of these rouge cage drivers the tac nuke missile delivery system executes enemy drivers with a MAC charge precursor warhead, complete with fragmentation sleeve to facilitate a mobility kill on nearby vehicles in collusion with the originally targeted vehicle. This baby will clear a lane a mile wide and even smoothes the road to a glass like surface,(which can be a little slick if coated in the visceral liquids of offending vehicle occupants). An additional bonus, you usually only have to use it once, as it changes the surviving driver behavior in the greater metropolitan area where used within hours becomes "motorcycle friendly", especially to beemers. Only problem with it though is I have to come to a stop and put it in neutral to activate as it requires a key turn and two buttons one on each handlebar to be pushed simultaneously.

(If the NSA is monitoring this post I hope they have. A sense of humor)
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    For the errant driver texting, talking, sleeping, drinking, with their windows rolled up and the AC on my Beemer was installed with a tactical nuclear switch complete with its own fire control computer (FCC). Upon detecting one of these rouge cage drivers the tac nuke missile delivery system executes enemy drivers with a MAC charge precursor warhead, complete with fragmentation sleeve to facilitate a mobility kill on nearby vehicles in collusion with the originally targeted vehicle. This baby will clear a lane a mile wide and even smoothes the road to a glass like surface,(which can be a little slick if coated in the visceral liquids of offending vehicle occupants). An additional bonus, you usually only have to use it once, as it changes the surviving driver behavior in the greater metropolitan area where used within hours becomes "motorcycle friendly", especially to beemers. Only problem with it though is I have to come to a stop and put it in neutral to activate as it requires a key turn and two buttons one on each handlebar to be pushed simultaneously.

(If the NSA is monitoring this post I hope they have. A sense of humor)

Sort of something like this?
    Purveyor of fine wines & spirits
    Rides a 1996 R1100R

Stalker

Dude, how did you find my house? NSA give you the coordinates? N...o that's my conventional weapons bike. Twin 7.62 General Electric mini guns, yes quite a favorite of mine but still doesn't have the the knock down power of a high quality nuke.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779

Ursula

The tac nuc is installed suriptiously under the Tupperware.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779

Quote Originally Posted by wineguyd View Post
    on the way back a jackass in a Beemer(note "in" not "on") cut over three lanes to make a left turn, without a signal of course, and I almost went into his rear.
    Those cages with roundels are generally called "bimmers" Right up there with texting teenagers, Suburban soccer moms and living fossils driving Buicks on my danger radar
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Careful, sense of humor...........

You can't use a sense of humor on these forums as it isn't purposeful to relay technical information on how smart you are.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."