Thread: Spark plug thread repair

Spark plug thread repair

I'm looking for someone who can repair the spark plug threads (14mm x 1.25) in a cylinder head. The stock threads were stripped & then repaired using a Time-sert type fitting that is now loose in the head. I will try removing the insert so I need someone who can weld up the plug hole & then drill & tap it for a stock sparkplug.
    Thanks
    Larry Campbell
    2011 R1200RT, 75 R90S, 2009 Suzuki DR650, 70 R75 Race, Vintage Kneeler sidecar R75 powered

Ted Porter's Beemer Shop in Scotts Valley would be my choice.

Might as well pull both head and have them both done while you're at it.

Better hurry "rebuilding season" is nigh.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Nutfarm

Plug hole theads

Larry, most automotive machine shops can do that kind of work.

I had Del's machine shop in Sacramento fix several Porsche cylinder heads for me that had damaged or stripped plug holes. They weld them up and retap them.

I've put Time serts in Porsche crank cases when the cylinder studs pull out.

It's been my experience that Time Serts in something like a /2 head, or a old Porsche 356 head with a 1/2" reach tend to loosen because of the heat cycles. I've had better luck with Heli coils in that application, but the best way is to weld them up.

Ken

Thanks Ken . I'll check them out
    2011 R1200RT, 75 R90S, 2009 Suzuki DR650, 70 R75 Race, Vintage Kneeler sidecar R75 powered

The angle is very important after its welded and re drilled. If it's incorrect the plug wont sit down flush and seal.