Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: GS Kills another

Yes, I couldn't find anywhere where the Tenere was being cancelled.

But to get to the meat of this thread. My F800GS is very light and when I pass Harleys and Goldwings in the mountains, I keep thinking it is way too easy. I have a Yacugar shock and front fork springs that have raised the seat height to 36". I can barely flat foot it even though I am 6'2".

But I am lucky to have a K1600GT too. On a well paved or a twisty road, it easily outclasses the F800GS. Much more nimble past 45 mph, and I won't even mention the acceleration. The 21" wheel that makes the F800 great and stable on unpaved sections really resists turning on paved roads, at least compared to the K1600GT. In a twisty road race, the K1600GT would greatly outhandle the GS and leave it far behind. In city traffic though, the big bike is a whale, the F800 is superior. The GS is also more fun.
    Andre Boening
    2010 F800GS and 2012 K1600GT

I can flatfoot a GSA easily, but then my inseam is 36." I'm 6'4."

I sometimes envy short riders because their rides are always roomy. There are a lot of short long-distance riders.

I have a major problem finding a bike that gives me sufficient legroom. My '03 RT with seat jacked up is okay. Some sort of GS may be my next bike.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post

I sometimes envy short riders because their rides are always roomy. There are a lot of short long-distance riders.

I have a major problem finding a bike that gives me sufficient legroom. My '03 RT with seat jacked up is okay. Some sort of GS may be my next bike.

Harry
    If you had a short inseam like many of us, you wouldn't like it long. Most of the bikes I want are taller than I am comfortable with. BMW doesn't make a bike that fits me since the C was discontinued.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post

Harry
    Harry, I am 6'2" and change, and although my inseam is a little less than yours, I moved to a GS in 2004 because it was the only bike I could find that provided reasonably roomy ergonomics. You should really try one. Especially with a set of lowered pegs and a higher seat, it might be just the thing for you. Of course, it will not provide the cocoon of still air that an RT would, but is still a pretty decent touring rig, IMO.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo