Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GS Kills another

GS Kills another

Yamaha Super Tenere in no being offered for 2014. Not enough of a market for a large dual sport?
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

One of the many rumors is that it's coming back in '15 with more power, built in farkles, etc.

Hmmmm, interesting. There was a lot of hype about the Super Tenere, and how it was going to give adventure bikes like the GS, a run for their money. Oh well. IMO, GSes are cool - fantastic all-rounders and then some (I wish I had the money for one).
    Last edited by ellengtrgrl; 09-09-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ellengtrgrl View Post
    fantastic all-rounders and then some (I wish I had the money for one).
    Wish I had the inseam for one.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Yeah, they are kind of tall aren't they! I imagine that at a stop sign, or stoplight, I'd end up standing on a GS, like I used to stand on my old 80s Honda XL250R - with the bike leaning the bike to one side, with only one foot one the ground, or balancing on tiptoe!
    Last edited by ellengtrgrl; 09-09-2013 at 02:09 PM.

I would need the optional self deploying stepladder.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Yes, BMW's GS bike are huge. Almost a parody of a motorcycle.

I recently was talking to a friend who had participated in a dual sport ride/rally- guy's a serious dirt biker. He said there was somebody at the rally on a GS, and everyone was hoping the dude wasn't going to be in the way, or slow anyone else up.
    Much to their surprise, GS Guy smoked every section, and left just about everyone in the dust!

Point being, I guess, that in spite of their size, folks do tend to ride them well in serious off road conditions.

Looking around, the vast majority of bigger D/S bikes I see on the roads, are the GS's. there are plenty of smaller D/S bikes around here, but the big ones are almost always GS.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Inseam

I have an 09 GSA and a 32" inseam.Couldn't really flat foot it.New Sargent seat changed the whole bike.

Cowboyatheart
    I have 28.5 inch inseam on a good day.

I have not sat on the R1200GS, but I did sit on an F700GS with regular suspension and a low seat. I was in my running shoes and could almost flat foot it. I believe with my mc boots I would be flatfooted on that bike.

I want try out the 1200GS with a low seat and see how that goes. I am itching to add a second bike to the stable. I will be riding a F700GS for two weeks in the Alps next year, so that will give me a good run to try that out. I like the 1200 though, would like nice beside my RT.

Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Royce and all,

Try a GS with a lowered seat. Not necessarily a lowered suspension but you can go that option as well. I was pleasantly surprised to find that at 5"5, I definitely can ride a GS. And if I change the suspension to normal or sport, I can also ride my husband's GSA.

Don't let the inseam scare you away!

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Interesting technique, but what does he do at a stop light, with or without a fully loaded bike?
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Royce and all,

Try a GS with a lowered seat. Not necessarily a lowered suspension but you can go that option as well. I was pleasantly surprised to find that at 5"5, I definitely can ride a GS. And if I change the suspension to normal or sport, I can also ride my husband's GSA.

Agreed. I plan on trying one out.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Royce and all,

I have tried them with lowered suspension and lowered seat, and any other configuration that might make them fit me better. While I can tippy-toe a GS at the stop, it feels unsafe to me and I am therefore uncomfortable on it. I always wonder, "what will it feel like on day 5 of the trip when I am tired and not paying as close attention to my foot placement as I should?" Bottom line: one should only ride a bike that "feels" safe and comfortable, and for me, that ain't a GS. I wish it were.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

+1

I've owned/ridden a R100GSPD, R1150GSA, R1100GS and an R1200GS and i'm only 5'5" as well. (29" inseam, but I won't ever admit to that ) But then again, i only put one foot down when i stop.

Royce and all,

Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......