Thread: R75/5 Handlebar Switch Parts

Hybrid View

R75/5 Handlebar Switch Parts

Hi all,

So I took apart my r75/5 handlebar switches today in order to clean them up and inspect them. For the most part everything cleaned up nice and well, with the exception of one part.

The right handlebar's contact plate (removable) has worn down on one of the contacts so far that there is now a hole in it.

See images below:

contact_plate1.jpgcontact_plate2.jpg

Would I be able to solder this or have any sort of way of repairing this for a lasting switch? Or is it best to just try to look for a junk switch to replace my contact plate with?

On the right side? Isn't that controlling the turn signals? Were you having a problem with them? The hole might be on the "OFF" setting.

I had a similar problem with my 1974 left side switch, where the low beam would not light up on the detent but would light if the switch was moved a little off of the detent. In that case I was able to add little layer of solder to that piece you have there and it has been working well for several years now.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Good to know! Ill give it a shot this week!

On a side note, has anyone had any luck using 303 aerospace protectant on bakelite plastic?

Was also trying to restore the look of the original switches. But after using 303 aerospace protectant, it seems to leave the switches looking "chalky". I can buff this chalkyness off but doesnt seem to make the switches look any more back to original sheen.

No one can help?

Is there no way to restore these switches plastic?

Is there any more permanent solution than soldering (solder is generally a pretty soft material and thus would wear much faster than a new piece)?

Check with the used or salvage parts places...maybe you can pull parts out of an old unit and create a good working one.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Switches

My right handlebar switch, starter etc. went south. There was some kind of a short in it that drained the battery even with the key off. don't ask me how. Anyway I fooled around with the thing and you know what happens to that spring when you take the little retainer off the bottom of the switch shaft. Solution? There is a German firm (Altetiele or something like that) that sells the reproductions on Ebay and they're not cheap. I had to cave in and buy one because I just couldn't fix the old one. However, a light spray of flat Black Rustoleum made it look new. You can put that protectant on but in 3 days they look grey again.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Check with the used or salvage parts places...maybe you can pull parts out of an old unit and create a good working one.
    He already has a used switch.

BMW sells that switch, brand new, for about $90. Yeah, it's not cheap, but it's NEW. Good for another 40 years. No monkeying around with parts that aren't quite worn out yet.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Check out a product called wipe new, might work well for this