Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: dealer woes

I guess my favorite service man still has his job.
    J.R., 2012 RT
    MOA #186976
    IBA #42334

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Seems like the OP isn't the only one having issues with BMW: http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...163648995.html

If I had the resources, I would have done that with a 2010 BMW X5 diesel I bought. What a P.O.S that was. 15 times to the dealer in a few months and probably 20K in parts and labour . There response was "don't worry, it's still under warranty" Bye bye X5. I later find out the X5 has one of the poorest reliability track records of any vehicle out there and is one of the costliest SUV's to maintain outside the warranty period. I was ready to get an exorcist to service the vehicle. I can sure pick them. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by gpw1200 View Post
    If I had the resources, I would have done that with a 2010 BMW X5 diesel I bought. What a P.O.S that was. 15 times to the dealer in a few months and probably 20K in parts and labour . There response was "don't worry, it's still under warranty" Bye bye X5. I later find out the X5 has one of the poorest reliability track records of any vehicle out there and is one of the costliest SUV's to maintain outside the warranty period. I was ready to get an exorcist to service the vehicle. I can sure pick them. ;-)
    They don't have lemon laws where you live?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerman View Post
    I guess my favorite service man still has his job.
    May be he'll take the service manager position?
    My Motorrad

They don't have lemon laws where you live?
    Nope. Canada. You can take on a lawyer, but from my experience with lawyers you just bend over a second time and take it even worse from them. Life is too short to be suing large corporations. I will never buy another BMW car and I suggest that to anyone else who wants to hear my story. If you insist on buying their cars, buy one with as few bells and whistles as possible. Trust me on that one. They charge huge amounts for their options bundles and you are just asking for trouble.

My GSA has been really good until recently. I have a suspicion one of the stick coils is gone. At least I know it ran good at one time and for three years .LOL

There are good dealers, and there are certainly bad ones who place making as much money off of each customer well ahead of good business practices and customer service. Some car dealers are no different.

Lets face it, BMW Corporate is greedy, period, and believe (or won't admit) they can do no wrong. That sense is infused into their Dealers and although each is franchised and individually owned, the corporate training and mindset is evident in most. Kind of like your average Liberal. You can show BMW Corporate a handful of stripped clutch hubs but they will look you straight in the face and tell you that they do not have any engineering deficiencies or performance issues on any of there models. In the same sense, Al Gore could experience a 7 month Colorado winter and still profess global warming. I've seen the responses from BMW Corporate on the clutch hub complaints and 'there is no problem' is always their answer.

I've used, and highly respect my local dealer here in Ft Collins, Colorado Euro. The same owner also owns Foothills BMW in Denver. They did a complete rebuild of my final drive and charged $550. I think that was somewhat reasonable. They didn't try to get more out of me and did my repair very quickly. I dropped the bike off at 5pm on a Tuesday and had it back by 4pm on Wednesday. Can't beat that. 2,000 miles later and all is well.

You'll know a good dealer from a bad one soon after you walk in the door or speak to the service mgr. If there's any doubt, do a 180 and find a dealer or mechanic you can trust. The headache isn't worth it.

I opened BmwMotorWerkz not long ago because there is a market for professional work done at a reasonable price. BMW service at the dealer is $90 per hour here in Colorado. I offer a long list of regular and scheduled maintenance items, upgrades and custom work and I charge by the job, not by the hour. I guarantee my customers a price (not an estimate) before any work is begun and depending on the difficulty of the work, my labor averages $20 per hour. I guarantee all of my work for the life of the motorcycle and that guarantee is fully transferable to the next owner. Just bring me the original receipt. You won't get that at BMW or any other dealer.

Bmwmotorwerkz@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone

Nope. Canada. You can take on a lawyer, but from my experience with lawyers you just bend over a second time and take it even worse from them. Life is too short to be suing large corporations. I will never buy another BMW car and I suggest that to anyone else who wants to hear my story. If you insist on buying their cars, buy one with as few bells and whistles as possible. Trust me on that one. They charge huge amounts for their options bundles and you are just asking for trouble.

My GSA has been really good until recently. I have a suspicion one of the stick coils is gone. At least I know it ran good at one time and for three years .LOL

Don Eilenberger has a flow chart with how BMWNA deals with knows issues. I wish I had it. It was like, there is no problem, then oh that problem, it's the owner's fault, and I think Silence was in there too. Quite funny. Hopefully he'll post it here.
    My Motorrad

< moderator on >

Please tone down the political and gun comments. They are not allowed on the forum. Please read the forum guidelines. In particular:

Banned Topics

Over the years (and many winters) we've pretty much been able to identify some things that inevitably start flame wars, breed ill will, and just in general make people act in ways they'd never have believed themselves capable (and yes, that is meant in the bad way.) Below are a few of these topics:

Religion
    Abortion
    Politics
    Firearms

These are banned as topics of discussion on the forum. We're not trying to prevent you from wishing someone a Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukah; we're trying to prevent the angry, useless flaming that inevitably arises when these topics are "discussed". Don't even think of making an off the cuff remark about someone's politics or religion.
    Thanks.

< moderator off >
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Who knew?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWKQhkny06A
    My Motorrad

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Some dealers are unquestionably bad, but it's useful to remember that life's a self-fulfilling prophecy, i.e. if you expect them to treat you badly, they will.
    I've been unfailingly polite to the dealer in question, trying to be upbeat and positive hoping it might rub off on him. I really like his techs, as they are fast and very good, but the owner (husband and wife team as she appears to be the only person willing to put up with him for long) is so abrasive and vulgar I wonder if he has Tourette's Syndrome. His father, Frank, was a fantastic human being. Not so the son.

The last time I saw him I rode up in a great mood, having just had my sidecar rig modified to perfectly meet the long distance travel needs of my dog and I, and was greeted with a scowling, "Why anybody would take a perfectly good bike like the GSA and turn it into a piece of S@&$ like that is beyond me."

That was so far beyond the bounds of propriety that he lost my business forever.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I've been unfailingly polite to the dealer in question, trying to be upbeat and positive hoping it might rub off on him. I really like his techs, as they are fast and very good, but the owner (husband and wife team as she appears to be the only person willing to put up with him for long) is so abrasive and vulgar I wonder if he has Tourette's Syndrome. His father, Frank, was a fantastic human being. Not so the son.

The last time I saw him I rode up in a great mood, having just had my sidecar rig modified to perfectly meet the long distance travel needs of my dog and I, and was greeted with a scowling, "Why anybody would take a perfectly good bike like the GSA and turn it into a piece of S@&$ like that is beyond me."

That was so far beyond the bounds of propriety that he lost my business forever.
    More likely he's on the asperger's/autism spectrum. They tend to say what's on their mind in spite of social convention.
    My Motorrad

No longer a member here
    If I later find out the X5 has one of the poorest reliability track records of any vehicle out there
    Made in the U.S. of A.!

I find this interesting. German car manufacturers enjoy a certain sales success in the U.S. with their products and they think they have to produce closer to the market. They build plants here and relocate production of certain models to the U.S.
    Do they still benefit from the attraction of the customer base to a well-built (even if perceived) German car?
    The Volkswagen Passat's sales numbers are stalling since they make a specific "for the U.S. market" model in Chattanooga.
    I really like my Audi Q5. It is one of the best vehicles I had the last 20 years. I am not sure if I will buy the next model when it comes out of Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Made in the U.S. of A.!
    Or does BMW say "Designed in Berlin"? Kind of like Apple says "Designed in Cupertino CA", no mention of China...

My wife just bought a Passat. it's not as "German" and the Jetta we used to own. I hope it's as reliable. If anyone gets a Passat, skip the 2.5L engine. Gutless.
    My Motorrad

Or does BMW say "Designed in Berlin"? Kind of like Apple says "Designed in Cupertino CA", no mention of China...

My wife just bought a Passat. it's not as "German" and the Jetta we used to own. I hope it's as reliable. If anyone gets a Passat, skip the 2.5L engine. Gutless.
    A great deal of BMW (automotive) design happens in ... California.
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Quote Originally Posted by JamesInCA View Post
    A great deal of BMW (automotive) design happens in ... California.
    May be it should be Milan.
    My Motorrad