Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Final Drive

Airhead Rear Disc Brake Troublesome?

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    My 1978 R100S came with a rear disc brake from the factory. Of course it had snowflakes.

In any event, I'd think it doubtful there was ever an "aftermarket" rear disc brake, save of course for the rotor itself. Maybe somebody cobbled on a Honda part or something, but it seems more likely you have BMW parts.

You'll fix what you have with advice above, but the best advice is to convert to rear drum brake, as the Airhead rear disc brake was and always will be more trouble than it's worth.
    OK, I'll bite. Can you elaborate on problems with the stock rear disc brake(s) for the airheads? I'm not disagreeing but interested in trends etc.
    I haven't had any issues with mine over the years other than a rear master cylinder internal "bypass" that surprised me substantially. Our local guru (Shail) advised a newer high temp brake fluid which seems to have handled that issue.
    Also, I believe braking force generated by the disc is rather similar to the drum version so there is no delusions of grandness on that score.
    Lorne

The rear brake rotor is exposed to dirt and grit kicked up by the front wheel... tends to score the rotor. The layout makes it awkward to properly bleed the system... hard to get all the air out. Even when working properly it doesn't feel as effective as it should.
    Don Braasch # 9049
    2003 K1200RS 1981 R100RS
    1974 R75 "S" 1977 R60/7

The rear disc brake complicates rear wheel removal/refitting significantly.

The master cylinder is very difficult to bleed.

It adds zero extra braking capability.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Well, not so bad then.
    I use a Mity Vac for bleeding and don't find it particularly challenging even given high spots on some lines.
    Pulling the wheel isn't that bad - removing the left muffler and a couple of brackets has become rather routine in the grand scheme of things.
    I don't drive in the mud so don't really care about debris.
    Front braking is really the only thing I rely on for stopping, the rear is helpful but I doubt one will save you better in a panic stop (rear drum or disc).
    Just my opinions however for what they're worth.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    We "bask"? I didn't know that...some kind of aura or something??
    You know these old German geezers! They use words that no one understand!!

I believe he was the original owner of that and others

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    I saw that very same bike there too. I talked to the owner and he was more of a typical Airhead owner who bask in the glory of doing everything themselves on their bikes better than any dealer can do. He said he did the conversion all by himself from scratch and didn't want to reveil much detail as far as the individual components.
    I think the man was an actual airhead guru but I'm told that he did pass away a year or so ago. I wish I could remember his name. He did perform most all his own custom work and fabricated his own parts and brackets. Like many true Airhead Guru's he was just slightly eccentric but very knowledgeable and approachable. I wonder where his collection went?

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by 69ZEFF65 View Post
    I think the man was an actual airhead guru ?
    I think you are describing exactly what I was saying. Problem is that these guys perceive themselves as "gurus" and all others need to bow to them.

..hey, Jim:

:bask
    intransitive verb
    1: to lie or relax in a pleasant warmth or atmosphere
    2: to take pleasure or derive enjoyment

...you're welcome

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    We "bask"? I didn't know that...some kind of aura or something??
    I find I have quite the aura after a 500 mile jaunt in the texas heat.