Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48

Thread: Non Warranty - warranty?

  1. #31
    Nutfarm
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Folsom CA.
    Posts
    295
    It was beyond the 2 year warranty on repairs, but with only 22,000 miles on the repaired final he had lost his trust in the bike.

    I don't know the man, but he had a riding buddy with a RT that had a drive unit failure as well. I don't know any of the details of that failure.

    I have a 08 R12R with 40,000 miles on it and the only issue has been the fuel level sender.

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,247
    I understand that this is not the time for humorous replies to feeling ticked at the dealer but as for an easy answer on water in FD with no rain:
    Did the dealer wash the bike at earlier service?
    Did a passing dog piss on rear tire? Seriously, this is a common occurrence.

    Another factor here that we cannot derive from a web conversation & it is a huge in terms of human emotional reaction potential-
    We simply were not there to hear/have full understanding of just how much "tact"(or lack thereof) was used by the dealer personnel in relating their decision to not fund the warranty repair. That's a common weakness in web communications! One can be completely correct in what they say & truly tick someone off by how you say it, nothing new there!
    Do the vents come off that easily on that FD? If not, somebody messed up, huh?
    Sensor wire- I'd tend to blame the tire changer but who really knows...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    7
    I'm glad my first BMW, though nearly new with 1250 miles, was waaaaay out of warranty (it's a 2003). I get to do the work and not have to deal with these issues.

    I worked on German prepress and press equipment for decades as a factory mechanic/tech, so know a few things of German ways, and get to dust off my fancy Hazet and Wiha tools!

    This does make me wonder about the value of "new vs used". Might not be worth the hassle.

  4. #34
    Registered User 88bmwjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    2,555
    I know we love to bitch moan and complain on our side of the fence, but the grass is not always greener on the other side. The local BMW shop here is also a Kawasaki dealer. A CHP officer brought his bike (a newer Kawasaki police bike) in on a trailer because it just quit while going 80 mph. He wished he was back on a beemer. Granted that's one guy and one bike, and may not represent everyone or every bike, and I don't know the whole story.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

  5. #35
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    I know we love to bitch moan and complain on our side of the fence, but the grass is not always greener on the other side. The local BMW shop here is also a Kawasaki dealer. A CHP officer brought his bike (a newer Kawasaki police bike) in on a trailer because it just quit while going 80 mph. He wished he was back on a beemer. Granted that's one guy and one bike, and may not represent everyone or every bike, and I don't know the whole story.
    There is a problem with the main breaker shutting off on the C14 due to the electrical loads. The thing is, the C14P is not outfitted by Kawasaki and Kawasaki stopped authorizing the production of the C14P because of the problem. http://www.government-fleet.com/chan...torcycles.aspx
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  6. #36
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    There is a problem with the main breaker shutting off on the C14 due to the electrical loads. The thing is, the C14P is not outfitted by Kawasaki and Kawasaki stopped authorizing the production of the C14P because of the problem. http://www.government-fleet.com/chan...torcycles.aspx
    I'll also throw out there that it's interesting that Kawasaki stands behind their bikes even when they don't build the authority bikes and technically the problem isn't their doing. I think BMW could learn something from Kawasaki.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    76
    Not sure about the front wire...

    But your story about the rear drive makes my blood boil!

    If the vent is missing, my position would be it was never installed at all, or never installed correctly, in the first place...so its BMW's fault.

    Certainly, the if rear tire design is the same as on my 2011 R1200GS, there is no need for the vent to be removed or disturbed during a rear tire change...so the third party rear tire changer had nothing to do with it.

    In Canada, we have Government consumer protection laws to protect consumers from being victimized by shyster dealers\manufacturers. Don't know if there is any such legislation in the States.

    I would be insisting that they make good the rear drive issues, at their expense, now, or else you will be taking legal action and\or contacting Government consumer protection agencies.

    I know back in 1974, I received a full refund for a brand new Dodge Dart, after I had owned it for a number of months and put 10,000 miles on it, after I contacted the Government. That particular dealership is long since out of business...and no wonder given their completely inadequate performance.

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,247
    Are you seriously wondering "if" there are consumer protection regs. in USA? WIKI that subject & you'll see that much of the world has them. FWIW,I will say here that I'm not stating I think the OP should sue anyone.
    For many years now we have seen the many laws,TV messages,govmt agencies, pontificating by state atty generals & the list is really lone and burdensome. Now, does that equate to all is cozy & nice for consumers-no.
    Lawyers feast on class action suits & small claims court offers possible avoidance of more pricey legal actions by joe public. I'll throw it back to you-Does Canada have the equivalent of the small claims process as here in USA?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  9. #39
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I'll throw it back to you-Does Canada have the equivalent of the small claims process as here in USA?
    Simply put - yes.

    Threatening the dealership that you're going to contact the GOVERNMENT might elicit one of these:

  10. #40
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,686
    While there is no need to disturb that vent while removing a rear wheel, that does not preclude it being knocked or broken while removing, for example, the brake caliper to remove the wheel.

    With as little as is actually known about cause and effect in these two unrelated defects (or is it three), I can't come to any reasonable conclusions as to who did what, when, why, or how. Not without huge leaps at least.

    Any one of us who has been riding or wrenching for any period of time has had "stuff" happen.

    I think this is a clear case of stuff happens.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,437
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    While there is no need to disturb that vent while removing a rear wheel, that does not preclude it being knocked or broken while removing, for example, the brake caliper to remove the wheel.

    With as little as is actually known about cause and effect in these two unrelated defects (or is it three), I can't come to any reasonable conclusions as to who did what, when, why, or how. Not without huge leaps at least.

    Any one of us who has been riding or wrenching for any period of time has had "stuff" happen.

    I think this is a clear case of stuff happens.
    +1.
    No clear case of culpability, avoidance or responsibiilty on the part of the dealer. Threat of a lawsuit would probably do little but serve to alienate a dealer who has likely done little to nothing wrong.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  12. #42
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    +1.
    No clear case of culpability, avoidance or responsibiilty on the part of the dealer. Threat of a lawsuit would probably do little but serve to alienate a dealer who has likely done little to nothing wrong.
    It's a matter of interpretation. The dealer surely didn't go to bat for the customer, probably because he didn't buy his tires from the dealer. It can make all the difference, even if we believe it shouldn't matter. I think the dealer stands lose more for not going to bat for the customer than going to bat, but that lesson is lost on some. A good example is Jeff in VA. His fuel pump went on his 8 month old K1600. BMW refused to cover it under warranty because the motorcycle only had 2000 miles on it. Bob's BMW went to bat and got BMW to cover it. It wasn't the dealers fault the fuel pump went bad, but they went to bat anyway. Sometimes reputation means something to some dealers and it doesn't to others. Which dealer would you want to do business with?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  13. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,437
    my point was that there is a substantial gap between "dealer didn't go to bat for customer" and "i'm gonna sue!" Mine worked for me. Now, if you consider a rationale of "didn't buy tires here" as the reason for a dealer not helping a customer out, then mine actually had very little reason to do so, because other than we get along well... I don't spend that much money there.
    A lawsuit is appropriate when there is real blame or culpability that can be assigned. There does not seem to be any such in this case, thus threatening legal action is a bit over the top.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  14. #44
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    my point was that there is a substantial gap between "dealer didn't go to bat for customer" and "i'm gonna sue!" Mine worked for me. Now, if you consider a rationale of "didn't buy tires here" as the reason for a dealer not helping a customer out, then mine actually had very little reason to do so, because other than we get along well... I don't spend that much money there.
    A lawsuit is appropriate when there is real blame or culpability that can be assigned. There does not seem to be any such in this case, thus threatening legal action is a bit over the top.
    I don't think he should necessarily sue either, but I would say the dealer isn't wrong about anything too. They sound a bit parochial at best. Just let us know who it is so at least I can avoid them.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  15. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    ......I'll throw it back to you-Does Canada have the equivalent of the small claims process as here in USA?
    Yep, I'm sure, although I've never used it.

    In the case of my Dodge Dart, I sent a letter to Consumer & Corporate Affairs, cc'ing Chrysler Corporation's "Your Man in Detroit". I didn't even bother cc'ing the dealership because I was fed up with them and wanted my letter to be a "surprise". Shortly, after, I got phone call from the dealership's service manager telling me that had to make my car right, and, if I wasn't satisfied with it, they would give me my money back. I took the car in, and they had it for two weeks to resolve the various problems, after which the service manager called me to take it for a test drive with him. At the end of the test drive, he asked me if I wanted the car or my money back? The car seemed ok, but I took the money. Let's just say the atmosphere was "frosty" in the dealership owner's office when I went to get my cheque. Since, the sale had happened a few months earlier they had already remitted the sales tax to the Province of New Brunswick, so I had to get that back from the Province, which I did.

    I never heard a word from the Government until after it was all over and I had my money back. At that point, I got a one line letter from the Government saying that they trusted that the matter had been resolved to my satisfaction.

    One word of advice, in any written complaint, stick to the facts; don't succumb to the tempation to exaggerate or embellish the facts. In my case, the facts were more than adequate to do the job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •