Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Non Warranty - warranty?

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    So. Calif.
    Posts
    284
    Wouldn't the OP's dealer be pleased to replace the sensor IF they knew they'd be paid by BMW to do it? In this case the dealer evidently thinks BMW will not pay for the replacement, and very reasonably wonders why they themselves should be expected to bear the expense.

    As to the missing vent cap, again, who's supposed to pay for that? And again, the dealer cannot be expected to do the work without prospect of payment, IMO.
    '14 R1200GS,
    Priors: '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.

  2. #17
    Ponch
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorlite View Post
    Wouldn't the OP's dealer be pleased to replace the sensor IF they knew they'd be paid by BMW to do it? In this case the dealer evidently thinks BMW will not pay for the replacement, and very reasonably wonders why they themselves should be expected to bear the expense.

    As to the missing vent cap, again, who's supposed to pay for that? And again, the dealer cannot be expected to do the work without prospect of payment, IMO.
    Sometimes people act out of spite. A couple lifetimes ago I worked in auto repair. A customer comes in for new shocks. The shop owner popped the hood and saw a new carburetor that we didn't put in. He said screw the guy and made us remove the old shocks, clean them up and put them back in and he charged the guy $160. In the case of a dealer, he'd make more money from a paid for repair from a customer than if it was a warranty repair, so money wise, he makes out better in the short run if it's out of warranty. I also worked for an independent Apple repair shop. I never cared if a customer bought the computer from us or not or if they did and had been someplace else. Work is work and all money is green. It's a lesson lost on this particular dealer. BTW, I turned in that auto shop owner to the state when I quit.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  3. #18
    BinkleyLane binkleylane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Springboro, OH
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    So, after all was said and done, what was the bottom line of repairs?

    I'm also rather curious to know why your final drive was inspected to begin with. Did they drain the FD oil and replace it, or just tell you it had water in it? Considering the price of a few ccs of oil I wouldn't be holding too much faith in a dealer that didn't go that extra step to keep a customer on the road.
    Part of the 12000 mile service. They said when they drained it had water in it - emulsified. Said the vent was missing.
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    356
    I once had a pressure washer purchased from northern tool, the hose bib formed a crack rendering the washer useless, called and asked if I could PURCHASE the broken part. First question after model number they asked was when I purchased it. It was verified I had purchased it 11 months into a 12 month warrenty, but sinse it was close to end of warrenty they would not repair it. Remember I just wanted to purchase replacement part. Got handed up the line, to director of customer service, same BS line. My girlfriend at the time was a attorney, she called customer service director, and asked if he remembered my call, answere was yes, she then explained she was MY attorney and we would be seeking legal relief for their failure to honor their warrenty. Three days later I received a new pressure washer in the mail. Remember I just wanted to purchase a broken part
    Bottom line, THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE, use whatever it takes to recover, if you feel it wasn't your fault
    Small claims court is a good recourse for this issue

  5. #20
    Registered User 88bmwjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    2,497
    Not directly related to this, but a similar theme. I learned about 20 years ago about having different people work on my car (e.g. transmission service, oil change, etc.) usually ended up with me eating the cost of the mechanics mistakes. When a company can point the finger at someone else, they usually do. It usually costs more to have some items done, but when things do go wrong, they pick up the repair cost since they were the only ones working on the vehicle.

    The vent cap error, IMO, is an error by the dealer who serviced the bike, or someone pilfered it on a five finger discount. There's no reason a vent cap would need to come off for a tire change. However, getting the dealer & the mechanic to admit the error would be difficult even without the tire change issues. This is not unique to BMW or their dealers. I've had companies tell me that they have systems in place to prevent errors from ever occurring; therefore, the mistake couldn't be theirs. That was BS of course and was their way of telling me to piss off. They realized as I did, that there was reasonable doubt they were not the cause. Of course, I never went back to those establishments.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

  6. #21
    Ponch
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    I once had a pressure washer purchased from northern tool, the hose bib formed a crack rendering the washer useless, called and asked if I could PURCHASE the broken part. First question after model number they asked was when I purchased it. It was verified I had purchased it 11 months into a 12 month warrenty, but sinse it was close to end of warrenty they would not repair it. Remember I just wanted to purchase replacement part. Got handed up the line, to director of customer service, same BS line. My girlfriend at the time was a attorney, she called customer service director, and asked if he remembered my call, answere was yes, she then explained she was MY attorney and we would be seeking legal relief for their failure to honor their warrenty. Three days later I received a new pressure washer in the mail. Remember I just wanted to purchase a broken part
    Bottom line, THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE, use whatever it takes to recover, if you feel it wasn't your fault
    Small claims court is a good recourse for this issue
    We've been down that road and with someone that had a history of failures under warranty. All I can say is BMW will dig their heels in further. Don Eilenberger has a flowchart for how BMW deals with these issues, you should ask him about it. Anyway, the best solution is not to have to deal with it.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    2,044
    It doesn't seem to me that either the brake issue or the FD water are legit warranty issues though the brake could be an original dealer assmebly error as easily as that of the tire installer.

    Having said that, I don't understand dealerships that don't do stuff to keep a customer at least somewhat satisfied, especially when it doesn't cost much. If I'd have been on the service desk I'd have done better at explanation and found a way to put at least a few $ in the customer good will column.

  8. #23
    . AntonLargiader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    1,324
    OK, you admitted that you knew you'd be paying for the front sensor so I don't understand what that whole part of your argument was even about. If anyone caused it, it was the people who changed the tire. Or maybe it popped out of a clip, or a rock knocked it out of position, but most likely it was the tire changer especially if the wire is clipped to the brake hose (don't know if this is the case).

    As for the FD, is there even an issue here? Has anyone told you why your cruise and ABS are still out? Water contamination isn't necessarily a big deal; it happens and then you change the oil. The tire changer wouldn't have had any reason to touch it. Most likely this was caused by the dealership who changed the FD oil but after you (in your own words) made a stink about the sensor that wasn't their fault, I can understand them trying to back away from you.

    What is still wrong with the bike?
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

  9. #24
    Ponch
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    OK, you admitted that you knew you'd be paying for the front sensor so I don't understand what that whole part of your argument was even about. If anyone caused it, it was the people who changed the tire. Or maybe it popped out of a clip, or a rock knocked it out of position, but most likely it was the tire changer especially if the wire is clipped to the brake hose (don't know if this is the case).

    As for the FD, is there even an issue here? Has anyone told you why your cruise and ABS are still out? Water contamination isn't necessarily a big deal; it happens and then you change the oil. The tire changer wouldn't have had any reason to touch it. Most likely this was caused by the dealership who changed the FD oil but after you (in your own words) made a stink about the sensor that wasn't their fault, I can understand them trying to back away from you.

    What is still wrong with the bike?
    There is a clip and a tie wrap. If the cable isn't set right before tie wrapping, it will rub. Mine did it before any tires were changed.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  10. #25
    BinkleyLane binkleylane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Springboro, OH
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    OK, you admitted that you knew you'd be paying for the front sensor so I don't understand what that whole part of your argument was even about. If anyone caused it, it was the people who changed the tire. Or maybe it popped out of a clip, or a rock knocked it out of position, but most likely it was the tire changer especially if the wire is clipped to the brake hose (don't know if this is the case).

    As for the FD, is there even an issue here? Has anyone told you why your cruise and ABS are still out? Water contamination isn't necessarily a big deal; it happens and then you change the oil. The tire changer wouldn't have had any reason to touch it. Most likely this was caused by the dealership who changed the FD oil but after you (in your own words) made a stink about the sensor that wasn't their fault, I can understand them trying to back away from you.

    What is still wrong with the bike?
    My argument is about BMW assuming that the failure was due to someone other than them touching the bike. And that the failure occurred 6000 miles after the tires were changed. To my mind that is a stretch. Additionally, one of the clips was broken. But more than anything the attitude. The first thing they said was it was the people that changed the tires.
    The final drive issue came up as a result of the 12k service. They said the vent was missing and blamed that on the tire change as well. The weird thing here is that I have not been in rain since the last time they serviced the bike. The Salem trip was dry and the RA rally was too. The bike is garaged and when I am on the road it is covered. So, you tell me.

    I told them from the start that I would buy the front sensor because I chose to "fix" it on the road. I was 400 miles from a dealer with no speedo, my call I will pay. But both sensors were out and to me that was very strange. I got the speedo back when I spliced the front one but ABS, cruise were still out. That told me the rear was out as well.

    Thanks for your input.
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

  11. #26
    . AntonLargiader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    1,324
    Has the bike (ABS and cruise) been fixed yet? If so, was it just the rear sensor, and was there any kind of damage visible?
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

  12. #27
    Ponch
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Has the bike (ABS and cruise) been fixed yet? If so, was it just the rear sensor, and was there any kind of damage visible?
    I thought it was the front sensor?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  13. #28
    Nutfarm
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Folsom CA.
    Posts
    286

    Final drive warranty

    I have a friend who bought a new RGS in 08, the big bearing in the final failed at 27,000 miles, it was repaired under warranty. It failed again at 49,000 miles, BMW said no warranty this time.

    He paid for the repairs and sold the bike. He now has a Yamaha TDM1200 with 36,000 trouble free miles on it. Too bad, he had been a BMW rider for 25 years and now he's gone. He will never buy another BMW motorcycle because of BMWNA's attitude.

    After a couple of conversations with no sadifaction with reps at NA, he got the impression that they felt the drive units were normal wear items and had to be replaced from time to time.

    He wasn't buying that, his last BMW had 110,000 miles on it with no drive train issues at all.

  14. #29
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Flyover Country = Southern Illinois
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by 47512 View Post
    I have a friend who bought a new RGS in 08, the big bearing in the final failed at 27,000 miles, it was repaired under warranty. It failed again at 49,000 miles, BMW said no warranty this time.

    He paid for the repairs and sold the bike. He now has a Yamaha TDM1200 with 36,000 trouble free miles on it. Too bad, he had been a BMW rider for 25 years and now he's gone. He will never buy another BMW motorcycle because of BMWNA's attitude.

    After a couple of conversations with no sadifaction with reps at NA, he got the impression that they felt the drive units were normal wear items and had to be replaced from time to time.

    He wasn't buying that, his last BMW had 110,000 miles on it with no drive train issues at all.
    I thought that replacement parts, provided under warranty, had a 2 year additional warranty. Perhaps it was beyond the two years when the second one failed?

    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

    Charter Member "High Town" crew.

  15. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    I thought that replacement parts, provided under warranty, had a 2 year additional warranty. Perhaps it was beyond the two years when the second one failed?

    You are correct/there must be a bit more to the story.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika
    Cagiva gran canyon/Honda cl 360 scrambler
    ride till you can't

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •