Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HID Headlight Conversion Kits-Your experience?

Now days, most all these kits are cheap...some less than price of good Halogen bulb.

Most are simple plug and play...good that you can revert back to Halogen on the road if necessary...

Ballast...are tiny...you need that.. (have four ballast mounted, read on)

I have used these kits for years without issue...cheap enough to keep a spare....

On my 1200GSA, have converted both the High and Low beam, also converted the stock fog/running lights, just need the kit with L shape HID bulb...

And converted my Motolights to LED as well... LEDs will soon be the ticket on all your lighting.....

Road test: had 80,000 on last set on a GSA... in all types of roads... even the Haul Road ....so got the mud and water plus shake test too...(of course you don't need all that light in Alaska )

Hope this helps...
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

2. 09-05-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    So are we to believe that the factory installed Xenon HID lights on BMW motorcycles were made in a garage & are illegal on the highways in the USA ?. Both of my LT's have 35 watt low & high beam HID lights & they both just passed their annual state inspection again. .
    My thread is about kits not "your lights" which are OEM & have approvals from the guvment-my sav has them too.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    My thread is about kits not "your lights" which are OEM & have approvals from the guvment-my sav has them too.
    My HID lights are not factory installed. I bought the kits & installed them a long time ago. It was so long ago I don't remember the name of the company that I got them from. They were around $35 per kit. My 2004 LT has had the same HID kits for about 120,000 miles now & my 2000 LT has about 30,000 miles with the same kits.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Thanks for the clarification! I was just reading comments on the "Candlepower" website r.e., how some have experienced lens & or reflector degradation of lights from the heat/UV from HID kits. Seems to be a guess on the part of some which was the culprit.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Thanks for the clarification! I was just reading comments on the "Candlepower" website r.e., how some have experienced lens & or reflector degradation of lights from the heat/UV from HID kits. Seems to be a guess on the part of some which was the culprit.
    The kits are offered in 35 & 55 watts. I have always used the 35 watt kits with no lens problems. During daylight hours I always run both the low & high beams which on my 2004 LT would be around 100,000 miles with no problems at all. It is important to have a good solid ground. A weak ground can cause the ballast to fail prematurely.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

I put conversion kit in my R1100RT-P in 2009. It's a Bi-Xenon that gives me both high and low beams. No idea how many miles are on it. Still working as the day it was installed.

Someone noted about the ground. When I did mine, I was told how important a really good ground was and made sure that was not a problem. For me - it works.

I also have a kit for the R12 that I haven't had time to install yet - but certainly intend to get done soon.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

So are we to believe that the factory installed Xenon HID lights on BMW motorcycles were made in a garage & are illegal on the highways in the USA ?. Both of my LT's have 35 watt low & high beam HID lights & they both just passed their annual state inspection again. .
    Other than the Touratech HIDs offered as aux lights on the R12GS bikes.. I do not believe that BMW has gone with factory installed HIDs on any of their bikes (barring anything that might be available on the newest K16s).
    Are you sure that your LTs lights are HIDs, and that they are indeed OEM issue?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    Other than the Touratech HIDs offered as aux lights on the R12GS bikes.. I do not believe that BMW has gone with factory installed HIDs on any of their bikes (barring anything that might be available on the newest K16s).
    Are you sure that your LTs lights are HIDs, and that they are indeed OEM issue?
    I never said my LTs had OEM HID lights. The 2006 to 2009 K1200LT bikes have factory installed HID low beam lights. My LT's are 2000 & 2004 & I installed the HID kits myself.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

I never said my LTs had OEM HID lights. The 2006 to 2009 K1200LT bikes have factory installed HID low beam lights. My LT's are 2000 & 2004 & I installed the HID kits myself.
    That your HIDs are not factory installed was not clear from the wording of your post.
    As I've never had an interest in owning/riding a Light Truck, I was unsure of their lighting status (other than reading posts from many about how craptastic their stock lighting was), which is why I posted my statement as I did, with a... "I do not believe..."

Thanks for the clarifications.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Installed one on my KLR650 and was amazed how much more could be seen at night. Then it had problems starting until it wouldn't anymore. Back to dim old Halogen.

Why no start is related to HID? Wiring was done how?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Why no start is related to HID? Wiring was done how?
    I think he meant that the HID lights wouldn't start/ionize/ignite.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Okay, I installed one of the $160 Morimoto bi-xenon kits in the Honda cage this morning. It has a bad relay AND a bad ballast. So much for paying premium prices in search of quality. I cobbled together a working system from the el-cheapo eBay parts I've got here.

Note to self: don't install everything before testing it ever again.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)