Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 08 RT Generator Belt Replacement Tips?

I just won't be able to sleep nights if I put that belt on with hidden damage after hearing all these stories.
    I called the dealer and made an appointment to have it installed.
    Piece of mind is priceless, well important anyway.
    Thank you for all the help, what a great club!
    I will spend the best part of Saturday doing the major 25K service and thanks to the DIY help in this forum it is easy.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I've replaced two belts in the last four months; on my R1200R and a friends R1200RT. Used the bump method and it was easy. I think some folks may be trying it with their spark plugs still in.
    I too have changed the gen-alternator belt 3 times, last one about 6 months ago. It was hard at first, not bad the second time, and a quick thought free simple job the third. I would buy the tool (I have many special tools, I love tools!), but it is so easy I wouldn't use it.

I think it, like many things, comes down to your comfort and skill level. Some guys can adjust valve lash in ten minutes, others ten days.

If your skill level does not make you comfortable, the dealer will certainly do it right. Probably for about what it would cost to buy the special tool!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

I'm making a WAG here - but I am guessing the people who haven't found it difficult to replace the belts recently have been using some of the old spec belts. The changeover was on 07/12 - and some dealers/suppliers may still have had the old spec belts in stock. (Actually - I know a number of aftermarket vendors had the old spec belt specified back in June when I did this job..)

Here is what they look like - the size is embedded in the belt code from Conti:

Old Belt - 611mm

New Belt - 592mm

The Conti code is - 4 represents the number of ribs, PK is the shape of the ribs, ### is the diameter of the belt. Not sure what SR stands for - but it may mean "stretch." Both these belts were purchased from the same BMW dealer. The old one sometime in 2009, the new one in spring of 2013. The old one now lives coiled up in my tankbag, just in case.

The tool I purchased was from Gates - who also makes this sort of belt. http://www.gates.com/europe/brochure.cf ... n_id=15470
    >>> Fixed Link, thanks to Marchyman.. http://www.gates.com/europe/brochure...ation_id=15470

There is a video link on that pages showing how to use it. I found one on Amazon for less than $10 including delivery. They come in different sizes, the one I got is about 1.75" in diameter. The official BMW tool is > $200, the Conti tool (which is quite elaborate) is $180.

BTW - Rob, this isn't the first belt I ever changed. The plastic sleeve just plain didn't work. The plastic bent way before the belt got near big enough to go over the bottom pully.
    Last edited by deilenberger; 08-31-2013 at 02:13 AM.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Looks like Don's link is fubar. I think this link is the one he meant.

Edit: only took three tries to get it right!

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Ah, you know that and I know that but BMW calls it a generator belt. If I started the thread with my alternator belt, I would have some guy say, ah you have a generator not an alternator.
    You can't win them all.
    Ah, those funny Germans....like the Brits and their "positive earth".

I always considered a "generator" as being single phase output, and an alternator as being three phase. Guess a 3-phase "generator" is possible.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

$24

I just got back to work. I waited 25 minutes at the dealer and they charged me $24 to replace the belt.
    Not bad.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

I just got back to work. I waited 25 minutes at the dealer and they charged me $24 to replace the belt.
    Not bad.
    On an RT? Excellent deal!

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Looks like Don's link is fubar. I think this link is the one he meant.

Edit: only took three tries to get it right!
    Yup - that was it. That's what I get from copying from a posting I made to another forum..

Well, for under $25 I'm buying that tool, thanks for the link, Don. I'll look at my belt soon, I still have to yank out that foam piece you educated me (us) about on another post. I'll look then. Great pics, great info, thanks again. (I'm thinking mine was "old belt"- and if the new one is smaller, it certainly would be some work.)
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Can't find the Gates tool (model # please?) but found this one for about $15 on Amazon.
    Anyone think it will work?
    http://www.amazon.com/KD-3681D-Serpe.../dp/B0040YQS8U

Edit: think I found the Gates one and it's under $10:
    http://www.amazon.com/Gates-91030-En...productDetails
    2007 R1200RT-P

I'm with Don on this one. I've used the BMW tool and plastic. Even with the BMW tool, it takes more muscle to get the new belt on. (The old belt is more likely to slip when wet or damp- after a wash, humid weather, etc though it stops quickly. You'll know by the squealing).
    With either, experience matters. First timers may futz a while even with the tool but should be able to succeed- its no real mystery- just enough muscle.

I wouldn't be worried about using the old style belt- not aware of any record of common breakage and the few I've taken off at service intervals always look fine though with less stretch left than a replacement.

Don confirmed the tool is the 91030 but hasn't used it yet.
    2007 R1200RT-P

Nutfarm
    Ah, you know that and I know that but BMW calls it a generator belt. If I started the thread with my alternator belt, I would have some guy say, ah you have a generator not an alternator.
    You can't win them all.
    You are both right, it is a generator of electricity, it generates a alternating current and called a alternator and needs a rectifier to make DC.
    Generators of old generated DC and just used a regulator to maintain the correct voltage.

They are both generators of electricity.

Does anyone know if the old belt is still available? I have had no issues with the old belt and would see no compelling reason to go to a smaller, tighter belt.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

BruceRT
    Quote Originally Posted by roborider View Post
    Does anyone know if the old belt is still available? I have had no issues with the old belt and would see no compelling reason to go to a smaller, tighter belt.
    The belt I bought in February from the dealer went on easily enough using Jim Von Baden's technique and a helper to turn the rear wheel.
    Bruce
    2005 R1200RT (It's new to me!)
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you are not continuously learning, you are slowly getting bored.