Thread: NY rt 17

NY rt 17

after all this talk about the best way to get across NY and PA i noticed little limited access rt 17 running across the bottom of ny. i've been on it for a brief spell near binghamton and it seemed pretty fast. is it like this all the way across the state or would 90 be a better bet??? i really hate 90, very unsenic, very untechnical and straight and the cities sometimes cause traffic. i also don't want to get stuck on another PA 6 and arrive in lima sometime saturday........
    04 GS ADV

You could do worse

Rte 17 hauls pretty well from Central Valley NY (north of Red Apple restaurant) all the way west past Jamestown to the border. In some areas it's a 65mph zone. A couple traffic lights around Liberty but barring construction traffic flows pretty well all the way.

Rt 17 Through the Southern Tier of NYS

Once you get to Binghamton, Route 17 becomes an interstate. At least until you get to Elmira... there is some road construction in that area... then clear sailing through the rest of the state. Once the process of making it a limited access highway is complete, it will be called I-86.

On the brighter side, it is really a nice ride west of Elmira and it is waaaay more interesting than I-90!

I am planning my travels and from where I am, I-90 looks like my best (fastest) route...

Safe journey!
    Lee
    '08 R1200RT
    '05 R1200GS
    Ballston Spa, NY

Better

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti
    after all this talk about the best way to get across NY and PA i noticed little limited access rt 17 running across the bottom of ny. i've been on it for a brief spell near binghamton and it seemed pretty fast. is it like this all the way across the state or would 90 be a better bet??? ........
    Yes Bubba,

17 is better than 90.....I've travelled I-90 many times and 17 (I-86) somewhat less, but it is a mch nicer and more interesting ride. DEFINITLY not another 6 accross the top. I vote for that

JC
    Joe Chriest
    2003 R1150GS; 2006 Piaggio Fly 150
    "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was"

17 is a very pretty road as you ride through Dutchess and Sullivan Counties and head northwest.

Unregistered
    Rt 17 post-binghamton is nothing exciting. sure it beats I80 but it's not going to provide great vistas.

perhaps i'm jaded, i used to travel that route ALL the TIME when i went to school in buffalo.

i've never taken it past elmira, though. that's when i picked up 390 and headed to rochester. the south western part of NY can get real nice, so perhaps it's worth it just for that.

then you have to pick up the major interstates and head through Cleveland...i'm sure there are other routes but are they quick?

good luck.

scott