Thread: 1997 R1100 RT Power Outlet

mrg2214@ptd.net

Cool 1997 R1100 RT Power Outlet

Well bought my first BMW and love it 1997 R1100 RT with 55,600 miles....Been riding Yamaha cruisers and finally took my friend advice..over 20 years of riding and never realized what a sport touring bike could bring you in the pure riding experience...

Now the question I have no manual ..

• Need to power up my GPS what the best way to do this,No accessorie plug on the bike

• There is a strange plug on the left hand side of the console with a cap on it..Hmmm Never seen this size before any help?

Thanks

Mike

It's a BMW thingy you need.

I bought an extension for electrical gadgets for cars that plug into the accessory socket/cigarette lighter. I popped into the BMW Stealership, bought their male adapter, cut the male off the extension, wired positive to positive, negative to negative, done.

Best part, I can use anything to plug in to the extension, including my coffee maker................
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Quote Originally Posted by mrg2214@ptd.net View Post
    Well bought my first BMW and love it 1997 R1100 RT with 55,600 miles....Been riding Yamaha cruisers and finally took my friend advice..over 20 years of riding and never realized what a sport touring bike could bring you in the pure riding experience...

Now the question I have no manual ..

• Need to power up my GPS what the best way to do this,No accessorie plug on the bike

• There is a strange plug on the left hand side of the console with a cap on it..Hmmm Never seen this size before any help?

Thanks

Mike
    You're in luck! Your second question answers your first: That's the accessory plug. Depending on who you're talking to, it's called a "BMW plug," a "Hella plug," a "Powerlet plug," or a "DIN-[something]" plug (never can remember that one).

What you want is something along these lines: http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-prod...-cables/PWRCBL
    2000 R1100RT / 1987 K75C (RIP) / Santa Clarita, CA

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Volkswagen owners have the same problem with accessories as we do.
    Found this site years ago. Lots of info, photos, part numbers and links to part sources.
    http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SilverSocket.html

I've bought these and made my own custom goodies.
    http://www.powerlet.com/product/basic-plug/275
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Your dealer can get you an owners manual and a service manual.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I can send you a PDF of the BMW OEM service manual. I like the Haynes hard back manual a bit more.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case)
    1986 K75S(the beutch), 1993 K1100RS (blown engine), 1997 Chev Short Box (4x4 with an LT1)
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

mrg2214@ptd.net

PDF OEM Maunual

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselyoda View Post
    I can send you a PDF of the BMW OEM service manual. I like the Haynes hard back manual a bit more.
    That would be great send to michael.gelato@ge.com

Thanks, Mike

If you want to hardwire the GPS power cable to the bike (buy an additional power cable). On the left side frame rail after you remove the left faring panel you'll see two radio power wires that are convient to use. The red and white wire is always hot, and the purple and black is hot when the key is on in any position but off.
    Last edited by norton; 08-24-2013 at 08:36 PM.