Thread: Restoring a '87 K75Cs--Does it make $ense?

Hybrid View

Restoring a '87 K75Cs--Does it make $ense?

It has to be a labor of love, because when you look at the economics of restoring an old bike the numbers don't work.

A few years ago I picked up a great deal on a complete 1987 K75Cs with 23k miles--just $400. The "only" problem was it was left for dead sitting outside unloved and uncovered for over a decade.

Last April I finally got serious about bringing my "Zombie" bike back to life and just finished most the the restoration about a month ago. The total costs ifor the bike and parts--$3177.66. At best the bike is worth $2750, probably less.

The restoration was thorough and since I plan to keep the bike a long time I went the extra mile "renewing" serviceable parts like coolant hoses and rubber boots and rebuilding brake calibers that I didn't have to. At the same time I looked to economize by buying used and aftermarket parts where I could. And there were a few expensive maintenance items included such as a battery and tires, and I added some accessories such as a top and side cases and the 50 amp alternator which all pushed the costs up.

But was it work it?

The bike is wonderful and I plan to keep it a long time--it's smooth as glass and with the stock pipes quiet too. I commute by bike to work and have parked my '99 K1200RS and adopted the K75 as my daily driver.

It must be love, because in the end, I'd do it again even though when I add it all up, it just doesn't add up!

Kontoboy

Labor of Love

Welcome to the world of BMW restoration. Hopefully you get the value of the bike back in riding it. Ride and enjoy. :groovy

I get an intangible feeling from knowing a bike (or car) down to the last nut and bolt. And an advantage you have is the bike is not to valuable to risk riding it on the street!

a side note, my stepson recently bought a new Honda CBR250 for $4K, it is a good, nimble, economical bike. But he absolutely loves taking my 27yr old, 185,000 mile K75s for a spin. go figure
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

But was it work it?
    There is a non quantitative aspect to your restoration. The raw numbers may not "work", but what about the enjoyment you get restoring the machine and riding it afterward? Hard to put a number on that, but it has value.

When you do sell the K75 you will certainly get receive more for it than if you never fixed her up. Your restoration cost, less the sum you get when you sell her is the dollar cost for your enjoyment. Only you will know if it is worth it...but I think you find it is "worth" the time and effort.

Folks have different "relationships" with their bikes. For some, it is simply a mode of transportation. It gets them from point A to point B. I get attached to my motorcycle. She takes me to new places and we revisit favorites. It may sound odd, but I bond with her as we roll down Virginia's backroads.

Like me, I think you are the later of the two I described.

It must be love, because in the end, I'd do it again even though when I add it all up, it just doesn't add up!
    I am the beneficiary of the previous owner's labor on my Airhead and I appreciate the fact that his investment lives on in my bike today. When you sell your K75 someone else will reap the benefits of the work you have done on her.

Ignore the bean counters and enjoy your K75.
    Last edited by bluehole; 08-24-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    2000 R1100RS
    1972 R75/5

3 Red Bricks
    Let's see, you've got less than $3200 invested in one of the smoothest bikes ever built with only 23k on the clock and all the running gear in tip top fresh condition. Cost per mile for your next 150,000 miles will be one of the best bargains you could have gotten anywhere. You aren't going to have to spend thousands at the dealerships fixing all the high tech "technology traps" that the newer bikes have.

Well Done!

P.S. Don't forget to keep those rear splines lubed.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I agree with Lee. Yes, you could probably buy the same year/model with fewer problems for $2750 - but not with NO issues. Then you have to fix the problems as they crop up. Seems like you should have a very enjoyable and hopefully problem free ride for many years.

If for some reason you want to sell it (and it also looks good - any pictures?) you should get a premium price for it. Still lots of K75 fans out there (as there should be.)
    Doug
    1992 K100RS