Thread: System Case Actuator Lubrication 2006 RT

Hybrid View

System Case Actuator Lubrication 2006 RT

The latch actuation on my 2006 RT System Cases is in need of lubrication. Does one simply spray a bit of lube inside the latch or does the case need to come apart to perform the service properly?

Thanks for asking. I'll monitor and hope for some detailed answers. I too have an 06 RT and need to perform the same type of maintenance.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

The latch mechanism is a little complex since it operates both the lid locks and the case release. If you want to lube it you must remove the inner case. This is tricky but not hard; the service dvd is helpful. You'll see on the case release arms where some grease was originally applied. The latch mechanism itself is mostly plastic parts and I doubt that it gets lubed but a little silicone spray couldn't hurt.
    Before opening it all up try just spraying a little of it into any openings you can get at from the ouside and see if that helps. If you do remove the inner case getting it back together is the tricky part. Kind of like changing a headlight bulb...patience, patience, patience.
    The latch mechanism on mine started tightening up and I ignored it till it broke so it's good you're trying to get ahead of the problem.
    Rick

'06 BMW R1200RT
    '74 Moto-Guzzi 850-T

Thanks Rick.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)